Sun808

K1 Fiance Visa Philippines Parental Consent To Marriage Affidavit For 20 Year Old Filipina

19 posts in this topic

Ok so I'm putting together the K1 Fiance Visa packet and I got a question guys and gals.

My Filipina fiance is 20 years old and I'm American. I'm in the USA and my fiance is in the Philippines. We're wondering if we need to include an affidavit of consent to marry in the initial packet we send or if we wait and instead include that document in the packet my gal will take to the interview?

And does anyone have any samples of an affidavit of consent to marry that we can use?

Does an attorney or notary public have to verify it?

We're basically not sure if we even need one, so in the Philippines if you're 18 to 22 and want to marry then your parents have to sign an affidavit of consent to marry that says they're aware that you're getting married and they give permission (or at least that they've been informed of it). But since this is a K1 Fiance Visa maybe it's not needed since we'd be marrying in America not in the Philippines? 

We're just not sure if we need it since it's for a marriage that won't happen until we're in the USA, and if we do need it when should we include it, in the original packet or later in the interview, and also what format should it be in and if a lawyer or notary needs to sign off on it/certify it/stamp it.

Thanks guys and gals, and info is appreciated!

December 19, 2022: Sent K1 Visa I-129F packet via FedEx overnight shipping.

December 22, 2022: $535 charge from USCIS appeared on my credit card.

December 23, 2022: Received text from USCIS letting me know case was received.

December 31, 2022: Received NOA1. 

October 16, 2023: Received NOA2.

December 13, 2023: Visa Interview (Approved).

December 20, 2023: CFO approved.

5 hours ago, Sun808 said:

Ok so I'm putting together the K1 Fiance Visa packet and I got a question guys and gals.

My Filipina fiance is 20 years old and I'm American. I'm in the USA and my fiance is in the Philippines. We're wondering if we need to include an affidavit of consent to marry in the initial packet we send or if we wait and instead include that document in the packet my gal will take to the interview?

And does anyone have any samples of an affidavit of consent to marry that we can use?

We're basically not sure if we even need one, so in the Philippines if you're 18 to 22 and want to marry then your parents have to sign an affidavit of consent to marry that says they're aware that you're getting married and they give permission (or at least that they've been informed of it). But since this is a K1 Fiance Visa maybe it's not needed since we'd be marrying in America not in the Philippines? 

We're just not sure if we need it since it's for a marriage that won't happen until we're in the USA, and if we do need it when should we include it, in the original packet or later in the interview, and also what format should it be in and if a lawyer or notary needs to sign off on it/certify it/stamp it.

Not needed at anytime since you are not marrying in PI. You will only need to follow the rules of the place you will actually tie the knot.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I thought this one is only needed if you are going to marry in the Philippines.

reference: Requirements for Foreigners Marrying in the Philippines | Nuptials

Parental Consent

"Parental consent for ages 18-21 years old is a requirement for Filipinos who want to get married. Both parents must appear in person to allow their kid to marry or sign an Affidavit of Consent. The affidavit must also be signed by two witnesses and be notarized by a lawyer. In any situation where one of the parents has passed away or is absent, the one parent is allowed to sign the affidavit. Filipinos and foreigners cannot get married in the Philippines if they don’t have this requirement."

On 11/4/2022 at 1:16 AM, Sun808 said:

You will not need it for the actual Interview at the US Embassy in Manila

However I would have it done for CFO, My fiance was asked for it when she was age 20 at CFO.

On 11/3/2022 at 8:16 PM, Sun808 said:

in the Philippines if you're 18 to 22 and want to marry then your parents have to sign an affidavit of consent to marry that says they're aware that you're getting married and they give permission (or at least that they've been informed of it)

You are not getting married in the Philippines if you are getting a k-1. This does not apply.

14 hours ago, Mick Jones said:

You will not need it for the actual Interview at the US Embassy in Manila

However I would have it done for CFO, My fiance was asked for it when she was age 20 at CFO.

Perfect!

So then we'll just keep working on the packet for now and we have plenty of time to get the parental consent form next time she visits her parents in their hometown. I'm thinking both her parents signing it in front of an attorney/notary official should suffice, if not please let me know!

Thanks a bunch for all the replies, guys and gals, as soon as we file the initial form we'll add the timeline of everything on my signature so we can keep everyone posted!

14 hours ago, Mick Jones said:

Yes probably a good idea.

Just now, RO_AH said:

You are not getting married in the Philippines if you are getting a k-1. This does not apply.

I agree from a "technical" point of view in that the marriage will take place in the USA, but it seems the Philippines CFO does ask for it in some cases so it seems we need to get it.

Were you or your spouse 18 to 22 when you did a K1 Fiance Visa

Also we're thinking of having her parents sign it and then having a local lawyer/notary stamp it/sign off on it, that should work, right? I'm hoping we don't need to actually make her parents travel somewhere out of town to a consulate or something like that, that would be a massive burden to pull off.

54 minutes ago, Sun808 said:

I agree from a "technical" point of view in that the marriage will take place in the USA, but it seems the Philippines CFO does ask for it in some cases so it seems we need to get it.

Also we're thinking of having her parents sign it and then having a local lawyer/notary stamp it/sign off on it, that should work, right? I'm hoping we don't need to actually make her parents travel somewhere out of town to a consulate or something like that, that would be a massive burden to pull off.

Update, I looked around the forum and yes a notary or a lawyer, either is fine. One fellow said you also need a copy of both parents' ID's. 

3 hours ago, Sun808 said:

Yes, it has nothing to do with getting a K-1 but may make it better for CFO. If you have not filed yet getting married and filing for CR-1 might be about the same amount of time.

• 1 month later...

Ok guys we went ahead and filed and I've updated our timeline to help other folks! Super appreciate this forum and will keep everything updated!  :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.