36 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Scandi said:

Even if I check in online I still have to go to the other desk to drop off my checked in bag. That's when they change my passport info. 

That was exactly my point. AFAIK you don't have to put passport details when booking flights. Only provide name and DOB. Then when you check in to the flight at airport, they don't have to do any passport details swap in their system.

Example of booking flight from NY to Paris on United:

Screenshot_20230202_125405_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b32cf902706a8bd0765312bd0c71a81e.jpg

I'm always curious when people say "I booked flights on US passport" or similar. I see no passport information on booking. Only when you check in online. Which doesn't work well when you're a dual citizen. You check in at the airport with the passport giving you access to destination and that's it. Maybe I'm missing something.

Edited by OldUser

14 hours ago, OldUser said:

Example of booking flight from NY to Paris on United:

Screenshot_20230202_125405_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b32cf902706a8bd0765312bd0c71a81e.jpg

I'm always curious when people say "I booked flights on US passport" or similar. I see no passport information on booking. Only when you check in online. Which doesn't work well when you're a dual citizen. You check in at the airport with the passport giving you access to destination and that's it. Maybe I'm missing something.

You are right, i just checked Expedia too - while it requires to enter the country your passport belongs to, it doesn’t require to enter the passport number:

3203C1B8-7F5F-4AF3-A6FB-5D4C7FA62D5A.png

@annab864 thank you for checking. It sucks Expedia asks for country of citizenship when booking flights. I moved away from third party websites for booking flights, after the pandemic, so obviously didn't know some require this info. While they allow saving a bit of $ it's real pain if flight is delayed, cancelled or you have to change it. Good to know!

Maybe community can create a list of websites asking or not asking for passport details.

Edited by OldUser

Another data point regarding this subject:

"I am a dual citizen, and I regularly check in using the passport other than the one I provided at booking. This has never caused a problem; no check-in agent has ever even mentioned it. So just check in with the passport you plan to use on arrival. It doesn't matter whether you gave that passport information when you booked.

If the airline asks about your other passport, just explain why you changed passports. There is nothing wrong with changing your citizenship."

From: https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/89186/can-i-change-my-citizenship-passport-country-after-booking-a-flight

My 2 cents: don't provide passport info if you can at time of reservation. Or if you have to, you can usually change it later at the airport.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.