36 posts in this topic

Hello!

I received my naturalization certificate yesterday! I am now a dual Canadian/American citizen!!!

I feel like I keep reading and hearing some conflicting information on passport etiquette.

Since I am residing in the USA- do I leave and enter the states (when I am going to visit Canada) on my USA passport? Could I use my Canadian one? I feel like they would wonder why I am living in the USA and using my Canadian passport with no greencard?

My other question is that I really want to be able to go home for Christmas. I’ve heard that if you have travel within 14 days you can get an emergency passport appointment and sometimes get a same day passport… But how do I book my flight when I don’t have an American passport yet?

I’ve heard that you must leave with the same passport you enter with?

I’ve heard I cannot leave the country until I have my new passport even though I have my Canadian one?

When I am flying do I need to bring both passports?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

"   i  have heard"    from  where?

you can travel on your canadian passport and reenter 

take copy of the naturalization paper 

BTW my husband uses both when going back home

he enters Moroc on that passport and back to the US on US passport

buying a round trip airline ticket ,  u would only enter one passport # (by the site itself)

but what u present to the ticket agent when signing in at ticket counter is your choice

Edited by JeanneAdil

It's just best to:

Leave and enter the US on US passport

Leave and enter Canada on Canadian passport

This way you will have a smooth ride.

You can enter Canada on US passport as a dual citizen.

But I'm not sure how easy it would be to enter the US on Canadian passport. It's not advisable. You probably can enter the US with certificate of naturalization by land. Not sure about flying. 

Nothing too conflicting at all: 

U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport to travel to or from a country other than the United States is not inconsistent with U.S. law.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html#:~:text=U.S. nationals%2C including dual nationals,enter and leave that country.

From what I remember from last year when I got naturalized, passports didn’t take that long; I think I got mine within about a month (exact dates should still be in my signature). We, too, had gotten plane tickets to travel for Christmas, and I just edited my info after I got my passport. From what I remember, it wasn’t a big deal at all. 

I don’t know anything about Canada’s border policies, so I can’t speak to that. I entered Switzerland on my U.S. passport and said I wanted to be treated like an American (I also wanted a stamp in my newly-issued passport), which, in Switzerland’s case, is not a problem at all. 

I would just apply for a passport asap, and there is even a passport tracking subthread where you can follow other people’s timelines. Good luck with everything; you’ll have your passport way before Christmas if you apply now. 

ROC: 

12/30/2019 package sent to Texas Lockbox via USPS 

12/31/2019 package arrived at Texas Lockbox 

01/02/2020 package signed for

01/04/2020 $680 charged on credit card

01/06/2020 text message and email with case number received

01/09/2020 extension letter received; notice date: 01/03/2020

02/22/2020 biometrics appointment letter received 

03/06/2020 biometrics appointment 

08/09/2021 I-751 approved

08/16/2021 Green Card received

Naturalization:

12/29/2020 application filed online and receipt number received 

01/04/2021 hard copy NOA1 received 

02/27/2021 electronic biometric reuse letter received

09/19/2021 interview scheduled - electronic notice received 

09/27/2021 hard copy interview notice received (issue date: 09/21/2021)

10/27/2021 interview (10.40am), approved

11/06/2021 oath ceremony (7.30am) 

I AM A U.S. CITIZEN!!!!! 

Passport:

11/08/2021 appointment at USPS (2.00pm)

11/16/2021 money order cashed, passport “in process” (locator 69)

12/02/2021 approved and shipped

12/04/2021 passport book delivered

12/13/2021 passport card and NC delivered 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

When I check in for a flight from USA to Canada, I present my U.S. passport to the airline. When I land I present my Canadian passport to CBSA. 

Note that  for part of the pandemic, Canada’s ports of entry were closed to foreigners. In that situation I also presented my Canadian passport to the airline to board.  

When I check in for a flight from Canada to USA, I present my U.S. passport to the airline. When I arrive at the port of entry (usually a 100 feet away) I present my U.S. passport to CBP.  

Sometimes I travel to a third country from Canada.  Sometimes I present my U.S. passport to the airline and sometimes my Canadian passport.  It depends which passport has the visa I need to enter the destination country.  

Generally though I prefer the protection of a U.S. passport over a Canadian passport, and so will use my U.S. passport to enter third countries.

While  you are waiting for your U.S. passport and passport card to arrive, you can enter Canada / Mexico  by land using your Canadian passport and return to the U.S. by land using a photocopy of your naturalization certificate.  From there, travel to a fourth country at will. 

Edited by Mike E

11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

When I check in for a flight from USA to Canada, I present my U.S. passport to the airline. When I land I present my Canadian passport to CBSA. 

Why are you showing US passport to airline? To me it would make sense to show Canadian passport to both airline and CBSA on outbound trip.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

The US does require you to leave and enter the US with a US passport. However, the nuisance is that the US has no exit control by CBP like other countries. So for me personally, I check in with the airline with my Ghana Passport when I'm flying to Ghana because my Ghana passport allows me to enter Ghana visa-free. If I use US Passport to check in, I'll need a visa to travel to Ghana even though I'm a dual citizen. On my return flight to the US I check in with my US passport. 

Therefore, the lack of exist control makes it difficult for US to enforce the leave and enter with your US passport rule. On the other hand they can't deny you entry because you didn't exit with your US passport.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
5 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Why are you showing US passport to airline?

It’s the law and I have global entry and don’t want to break this law. 

Since U.S. citizens have a visa exemption there is no need for me to reveal my Canadian passport  to the airline  and thus complicate things. 

If U.S. citizens required a visa to enter Canada, I would present both passport to the airline.  

To me it would make sense to show Canadian passport to both airline and CBSA on outbound trip.

Indeed.  

Edited by Mike E

4 minutes ago, Mike E said:

It’s the law and I have global entry and don’t want to break this law.

I thought the reason to show the a passport to airline so they can check whether you meet the requirements of destination country, not check which passport you leave US with?

Then, when you go through TSA you can show them US passport?

With dual US/EU it's more straightforward. You show airline the passport you're entering the destination with (for example US), and show passport of your citizenship when exiting your European country to border control.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Each country has different rules.  In our case, my spouse is dual US/Australia.

She leaves the US by showing both passports to the check-in agent.  The US passport is shown to leave the US and the Australian passport  is shown to be allowed to board the plane to Australia without a visa, or, Australia's equivalent of ESTA.

She arrives in Australia and goes through immigration with her Australian passport.

She leaves Australia by showing her US passport to the check-in agent to authorize her to board the plane, and her Australian passport to the immigration agent to leave the country.

She uses her US passport go through immigration when she arrives in the US.

If we travel to a British Commonwealth country, she uses her Australian passport both going and coming.  If we travel to another country (like Hong Kong or Japan), she uses the US passport both going and coming.

Me?  US passport all the way (with an Australian permanent residency visa attached.)

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

8 minutes ago, Sukie said:

She leaves the US by showing both passports to the check-in agent. 

Does the agent even use any information in from the US passport? Why would they?

Sorry I'm just curious as to how US dual citizenship works from your family's first hand experience. Thank you

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
15 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Does the agent even use any information in from the US passport? Why would they?

Sorry I'm just curious as to how US dual citizenship works from your family's first hand experience. Thank you

When we book a flight originating in the US, it is her US passport that is connected to the ticket.  Therefore, for identity purposes, AND for leaving the US purposes, the airline check-in person needs to see the US passport.  The check-in person ALSO needs to see the Australian passport to authorize her to board the aircraft.

Is that helpful?

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, OldUser said:

Why are you showing US passport to airline? To me it would make sense to show Canadian passport to both airline and CBSA on outbound trip.

we pull out both and let the ticket agent decide

Adil has traveled in and out of the country using either

when we took the Niagara land port to cross to see the Canadian side of the falls ,  he just used TN state issued enhanced DL for international travel

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I am an USA/Irish citizen. On a trip to Brazil I needed a visa with a USA passport and no visa on the Irish passport so I used my Irish passport for the trip. I used the Irish passport to check into a flight to Brazil and the Irish passport to enter and exit Brazil. I used my US passport to check in for the flight home and to enter the USA. 

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.