PCAtlas

OPT expiring soon and waiting on AOS EAD

2 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi guys. I'm in a tough situation like many of you here. My OPT is expiring in Jan 2023. I have a STEM degree, but my employer (Walgreens) is not willing to fill out I-983 training plan for me as a part of STEM OPT application. I'm trying to fight this and convince them to fill out the form.

However, it seems like the best bet for me is to expedite the pending AOS EAD (F2A). I've submitted an expedited request with the reason of job loss and not being able to pay rent, insurance, and e.t.c. Is this convincing enough for my request to be approved? I'm also thinking to ask for help from my congressman if my attempts don't succeed.

This is a long shot but has anyone here worked for Walgreens and applied for STEM OPT through them?

Is there anything else I can do to salvage my situation? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 5.00.34 PM.png

*** Moved from AOS from Work/Student/Tourist Visas to Working & Traveling During US Immigration, to be among other threads about work authorization ***

17 hours ago, PCAtlas said:

My OPT is expiring in Jan 2023.

I assume you mean your OPT EAD is expiring.  If so, job loss due to expiring EAD may be a reason to expedite a new EAD.  No harm in sending an expedite request.

Note that if you use your AOS EAD to continue your current employment, that would mean the end of your F1 status.  Your immigration status will change to EAD holder (AOS applicant).  Nothing to worry about as long as your AOS is eventually approved.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.