jillynilly

Need help filing out I485 AOS for my mom

11 posts in this topic

Hello, I have a questions on form I485, doing AOS for mom.
Part 1 2a: did you mention your mom's maiden name? My mom doesn't have any document to show this, so will it be better to leave it out?
Part 2: 3 and 4, do we get this right away after we submit I130? I have not yet submitted it? or do we need to wait until we have these numbers?
Part 3: 5,6,7: Address history, my mom travels alot, and stays for extended period like 3-4months with my other sibling in a different country. Do we write her addresses from travel history or this only refers to addresses that are domiciled home?

Also, do we need full hisotry of I94 or just the latest I94.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Most maiden names for females are those prior to marriage. If she changed her name after marriage, then she has a maiden name. 

You can not generate numbers you don't have.

Only write addresses where she's stayed for 1+ years. 

And read the form properly as you're numbering on your questions doesn't make sense 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

No, you can’t just “leave something out” because you don’t have a document, apart from the fact that you are signing that the document is truthful, hiding a name could be seen as material misrepresentation and lead to a ban.

Curious though how between a birth certificate and marriage certificate, both required to complete the immigration process, there won’t be any document showing other maiden name?

Edited by SusieQQQ

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, jillynilly said:

She has a recently generated birth certificate, which the local authorities issued in the current name. Hence the maiden name is not on her borth certificat

So help her out and order her a new and correct birth certificate… since no can “generate” anything but a request / application to the issuing authorities . 
Look at the DOS/  Visa Reciprocity  for her country of birth , to make sure you are getting it from an acceptable source . 

35 minutes ago, jillynilly said:

She has a recently generated birth certificate, which the local authorities issued in the current name. Hence the maiden name is not on her borth certificate.

That doesn't seem like a valid birth certificate, since her name at birth wasn't her current name

This is a recently ordered birth certificate and was done at the local authority of the city where she was born, the authority designated to generate birth certificates. However, their argument is they only do late registrations of birth with what the current documented name of the person is, not what it was at the time of the birth.

Just now, jillynilly said:

This is a recently ordered birth certificate and was done at the local authority of the city where she was born, the authority designated to generate birth certificates. However, their argument is they only do late registrations of birth with what the current documented name of the person is, not what it was at the time of the birth.

Delayed registration of birth needs to be addressed as such. 

Since mom is already in the US , and has already been “vetted “ while applying for her visitor visa, it won’t be very difficult to overcome. 
Definitely review her prior visitor visa /DS-160 info on birth name issue. 

Remember that she did have a maiden name prior to her marriage contract , and pretty much EVERY country has records of a persons maiden name ( be it school leaving certificates , ..) ..

Again , look at the Visa Reciprocity at DOS for a list of what secondary evidence you could obtain 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.