Steve & Erma

AOS and Poverty Level

8 posts in this topic

Currently, I make more than enough to qualify for my AOS and I probably will be including the 2022 transcript in my package by the time I am approved. My 2019 transcript doesn't show a large amount of AGI but does show a large income due to having my own business that year. My 2020-2021 tax transcript does not show a lot of money made due to the pandemic and other issues (I was out of work from March 2020 to September 2021). I had an unemployment income but it wasn't enough to be over the poverty level in either 2020 or 2021.

1. What number do they go off on the transcript for income qualification?

2. If I had a couple of bad years as I did (which is due to the pandemic), will I get disqualified and need a co-sponsor even though I make twice the amount now?

3. If I get approved prior to my taxes being done for 2022 how do I show them I have a large enough income so I don't need a co-sponsor, pay stubs?

Thanks for the help

Texas Service Center
Consulate: Manila
Marriage: 09/14/2022

I-130 Sent: 09/29/2022
I-130 NOA1: 10/14/2022 
I-129F Sent: 10/10/2022, REC 10/20/2022
I-129F NOA1: 10/25/2022

I-130 NOA2: 8/31/23

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Steve & Erma said:

Currently, I make more than enough to qualify for my AOS and I probably will be including the 2022 transcript in my package by the time I am approved. My 2019 transcript doesn't show a large amount of AGI but does show a large income due to having my own business that year. My 2020-2021 tax transcript does not show a lot of money made due to the pandemic and other issues (I was out of work from March 2020 to September 2021). I had an unemployment income but it wasn't enough to be over the poverty level in either 2020 or 2021.

2. If I had a couple of bad years as I did (which is due to the pandemic), will I get disqualified and need a co-sponsor even though I make twice the amount now?

3. If I get approved prior to my taxes being done for 2022 how do I show them I have a large enough income so I don't need a co-sponsor, pay stubs?

Thanks for the help

This too, is in the I-864 instructions you have plenty of time to study.  Unless you filed the 1040EZ, the number used is the "Total Income" not AGi.  (Note that often those are the same number but not always.)

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

19 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

This too, is in the I-864 instructions you have plenty of time to study.  Unless you filed the 1040EZ, the number used is the "Total Income" not AGi.  (Note that often those are the same number but not always.)

I see in the instruction that I can send a letter from my employer about my salary or 6 months of pay stubs for this year if needed.

I believe the instruction says they use total income from the transcripts. Last year I made just barely over the poverty level with total income but I did not come close in 2019-2020. The last 3 years were 24k, 17k, and 5k(business deductions)

The instructions are unclear to me as to whether they go off the current year or all 3 years as a whole for determination. It talks about 1 year and then makes it sound like I can add the other 2 years but I know that they want the information on the last 3. So my question still stands about needing a co-sponsor.

How are they going to look at my income to make the determination?

Texas Service Center

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Steve & Erma said:

I see in the instruction that I can send a letter from my employer about my salary or 6 months of pay stubs for this year if needed.

I believe the instruction says they use total income from the transcripts. Last year I made just barely over the poverty level with total income but I did not come close in 2019-2020. The last 3 years were 24k, 17k, and 5k(business deductions)

The instructions are unclear to me as to whether they go off the current year or all 3 years as a whole for determination. It talks about 1 year and then makes it sound like I can add the other 2 years but I know that they want the information on the last 3. So my question still stands about needing a co-sponsor.

How are they going to look at my income to make the determination?

They will evaluate the totality of circumstances but the "current income" is the key.  Are you employed or self employed?  More importantly, what will the answer to that question be at this time next year?  The instructions are for how to complete the form correctly, not for how it will be evaluated.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

7 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

They will evaluate the totality of circumstances but the "current income" is the key.  Are you employed or self employed?  More importantly, what will the answer to that question be at this time next year?  The instructions are for how to complete the form correctly, not for how it will be evaluated.

I am no longer self-employed but work for a transportation department of a large company driving trucks and moving trailers around our facility. If they look at my current income then I won't worry about my past income although I will provide it as they ask. Thanks again for your wisdom.

Texas Service Center

5 hours ago, Steve & Erma said:

I am no longer self-employed but work for a transportation department of a large company driving trucks and moving trailers around our facility. If they look at my current income then I won't worry about my past income although I will provide it as they ask. Thanks again for your wisdom.

I helped a friend with her aos package, i told her get prepare for a co-sponsor, because her husband only made 18200 last year.

we send her package even with a vaccination waiver base on religious and moral convictions.

we sent her medical exam too, for our surprise they approved her without ask for joint sponsor, they approved her in 2 months. We sent her package on June 21, and they approved her on August 26 without interview.

she was very lucky, they didnt ask joint sponsor, no interview and vaccination waiver approved too.

K1 2017

Aos sent April 2018

Aos interview July 2018

Work permit September2018

Aos approved July 24, 2019.

Roc April 27, 2021

Biometric reused june 28, 2021

N-400 online April 27, 2022 base on 3 years rule, biometric reused.

N-400 interview on December 12, 2022 combo interview i-751. Approved.

January 11, 2023 oath ceremony, Indianapolis. After that done with uscis😂🤭🤫

I took my oath ceremony in Indianapolis, it was a nice ceremony, where people from 35 coutry become american citizen.

01/11/2023 officially done with uscis :)

🤣

January 13, 2023 apply for us passport.( regular service).

March 11, 2023 passport in hand

6 hours ago, Steve & Erma said:

Thanks for the help

Just send a good package, with all evidence and medical exam, a complete package increase the chance to get approved 

K1 2017

Aos sent April 2018

Aos interview July 2018

Work permit September2018

Aos approved July 24, 2019.

Roc April 27, 2021

Biometric reused june 28, 2021

N-400 online April 27, 2022 base on 3 years rule, biometric reused.

N-400 interview on December 12, 2022 combo interview i-751. Approved.

January 11, 2023 oath ceremony, Indianapolis. After that done with uscis😂🤭🤫

I took my oath ceremony in Indianapolis, it was a nice ceremony, where people from 35 coutry become american citizen.

01/11/2023 officially done with uscis :)

🤣

January 13, 2023 apply for us passport.( regular service).

March 11, 2023 passport in hand

Timeline
1 hour ago, Steve & Erma said:

Yes, your current income will be your gross for a pay period times the number of pay periods in a full 52 week year going forward.  If you make 2k every two weeks then your current income is 52k.  ONE pay stub will do as documentation.

As to "if they ask". The form requires information from the past three tax returns and a copy of the most recent or a tax return transcript.  You REALLY need to look at the FORM itself and you will KNOW THIS.

1 minute ago, mytruelove18 said:

Just send a good package, with all evidence and medical exam, a complete package increase the chance to get approved 

You do not SEND a medical exam.  The OP's spouse will obtain a medical exam at St. Luke's hospital in Manila shortly before her visa interview.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.