CaptainJim63

AOS when spouse has deceased after application

9 posts in this topic

Hi there folks. Am helping my sister-in-law and recently her Husband died at the end of August, unexpectedly of course. She applied for her 10-year green card earlier this year and the government website says the status of her case is that biometrics were received in April. Sort of remember reading on here that the AOS has to be refiled if the American citizen sponsor spouse deceased after the AOS was filed?

We did a change of address already, form AR-11. Is she going to have a problem receiving her new green card because she changed her address? Sort of remember that being a problem too. We tried to keep the same address as long as we could but we wanted to get it changed for fear of possible deportation. Originally, they said she should receive her 10-year green card before December.

My sister-in-law has money in the bank and has a place to stay with us. She is gainfully employed and is a hard worker. Think that she would be able to stay here in the U.S. but am not sure if we need to refile anything.

Thanks to all those that help so much on this website. My wife is currently a 10-year green card holder, and we couldn't have done all our filings without the great help on Visa Journey. Thank You. Jim

Please can a moderator move this to "Removing Conditions on Residency General Discussion"

Edited by CaptainJim63
posted in wrong topic

Met Online July 5, 2010, Independence Day Observed U.S.

Waiting to meet.....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
44 minutes ago, Timona said:

Send it in ASAP.

My condolences on OP’s loss.  

ASAP means now.  Not Monday. 

Thanks Timona, we appreciate your help. The death certificate would attach to the rear of the updated i-751? Guessing we should send an original also? And the receipt number for her current i-751 be attached to the front? will read the directions again just trying to get a jump on this.

Mike thanks for your condolences but its Sunday and the mail doesn't run today. Are you suggesting filing electronically?

Waiting to meet.....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
25 minutes ago, CaptainJim63 said:

Thanks Timona, we appreciate your help. The death certificate would attach to the rear of the updated i-751? Guessing we should send an original also? And the receipt number for her current i-751 be attached to the front? will read the directions again just trying to get a jump on this.

Mike thanks for your condolences but its Sunday and the mail doesn't run today. Are you suggesting filing electronically?

FedEx is open today.

Do not send originals. Send copies. Just have her fill up form 751 again, mark the option as “widow”, write a short letter explaining that spouse passed away on xxx day, and that you are submitting a new 751 with the death certificate. Include also the case number. 

No, you can’t file electronically. That’s not an option for 751.

why do you think she’d be deported?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Was'nt too worried about her being deported. On immigration.gov though it does say its possible if you do not notify of address change immediately. Thats all.

Thanks for the tip on FedEx, forgot about them.

Appreciate all the help. Its been a long time since my wife got her appoved ROC. Now that her sister is widowed, am trying to help her out best I can.

Whenever I meet anyone going through the visa process, always tell them to check out VisaJourney.com.

To reiterate. We need a cover letter. Updated I-751, copy of death certificate, Copy of I-751 Reciept Letter, and possibly a copy of the AR-11 that was filed. Should it be assembled in that order?

Waiting to meet.....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The cover letter goes on top, and they'll find the rest.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
  1. fed ex is the best choice as USPS will be closed for Columbus Day Monday the 10th
  2. and fed ex gives u a receipt 
  3. fed ex does not take Columbus day off

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.