Boiler

New PayPal Policy Lets Company Pull $2,500 From Users’ Accounts If They Promote ‘Misinformation’

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

So all the organizations that promoted Russian collusion, or that the Hunter Biden laptop was Russian disinformation will be hit?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Woke culture is forcing the market to produce competition.  

Musk  wants to  remake Twitter into an American WeChat (presumably minus the government monitoring). WeChat, aside from twit-like gesture also has a payment capability (among other features).   Musk of course has experience developing payment systems. 

Timeline

I did not know that but it makes a lot of sense.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
14 hours ago, Boiler said:

I'd delete my account in a hot minute (have had it for over two decades now), but I wonder... how exactly will PayPal be able to ascertain that you promoted misinformation?

Also, it seems that PayPal already walked back their embarrassing policy...

A red-faced PayPal walked back a shocking new policy announcement that users who advance “misinformation” could face fines of $2,500 per offense, saying it was all a mistake after The Daily Wire called attention to the chilling scheme.

The financial services company, which has repeatedly deplatformed organizations and individual commentators for their political views, announced Saturday, one day after The Daily Wire story broke, that the announcement went out in error.

“An [Accepted Use Policy] notice recently went out in error that included incorrect information,” a PayPal spokesperson said. “PayPal is not fining people for misinformation and this language was never intended to be inserted in our policy. We’re sorry for the confusion this has caused.”

https://www.dailywire.com/news/paypal-reverses-plan-to-fine-users-2500-for-misinformation-after-daily-wire-report

3 hours ago, LIBrty4all said:

Also, it seems that PayPal already walked back their embarrassing policy...

Before I read this I was looking at an e-mail from PayPal about changes.  I could not find anything in the links they provided about misinformation, so I guess they did remove it.

Reminds me of why I opened a Paypal account in 2000.  Sorry, off topic memory rant.  I was working in San Francisco at the time and our company had really good Giants seats at Candlestick Park, so when Pacbell Park was opening, they got even better box seats behind home plate.  So the company raffled the opening day tickets in two sets of two.  I won 2 tickets!  I grew up a die hard Dodgers fan and hated the Giants most of my younger years.  So I saw that opening day Pacbell tickets were going for ridiculous prices on E-bay and decided to sell them.  Got $800 for the pair!  He suggested to use Paypal, and the rest is history.  I still use them for a few transactions.

The senior VP of HR controlled the tickets and distributing them.  I got them several times for Candlestick.  He put me on the company -list for a long, long time!  I was never offered the Pacbell tickets, understandably.  Many colleagues asked why I sold them, and I just told them, "Sit at ballgame for 3 hours watching a team I hate" or "a week in Hawaii".  Which would you choose?

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Timeline

They did not remove it.  

https://www.paypal.com/us/legalhub/acceptableuse-full?locale.x=en_US

Violation of this Acceptable Use Policy constitutes a violation of the PayPal User Agreement and may subject you to damages, including liquidated damages of $2,500.00 U.S. dollars per violation, which may be debited directly from your PayPal account(s) as outlined in the User Agreement (see “Restricted Activities and Holds” section of the PayPal User Agreement).”

The latter embedded link is: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#s4-restricted-activities

Provide false, inaccurate or misleading information”

Timeline
2 hours ago, Mike E said:

They did not remove it.  

Violation of this Acceptable Use Policy constitutes a violation of the PayPal User Agreement and may subject you to damages, including liquidated damages of $2,500.00 U.S. dollars per violation, which may be debited directly from your PayPal account(s) as outlined in the User Agreement (see “Restricted Activities and Holds” section of the PayPal User Agreement).”

The latter embedded link is: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#s4-restricted-activities

Provide false, inaccurate or misleading information”

That has always been there.  But if you read the acceptable use policy, the "misinformation stuff" isn't there.

Timeline
38 minutes ago, LIBrty4all said:

That has always been there.  But if you read the acceptable use policy, the "misinformation stuff" isn't there.

We are arguing about the difference between misinformation and  false, inaccurate or misleading information”

There is no difference 

The policy was there before and it didn’t change. What changed was PP wanted to add a woke term “misinformation” to its TandC and this triggered a backlash from non-wokes 

It’s still going to be enforced. And it has been enforced. 

over and out. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Mike E said:

We are arguing about the difference between misinformation and  false, inaccurate or misleading information”

There is no difference 

The policy was there before and it didn’t change. What changed was PP wanted to add a woke term “misinformation” to its TandC and this triggered a backlash from non-wokes 

It’s still going to be enforced. And it has been enforced. 

over and out. 

Clearly you did not read the AUP.  I did.  Nothing in there about the things that Dailywire announced.  Not saying they couldn't add it at some point in the future, but if you see post #5, they claim they won't be doing it due to backlash (and the fear of losing MANY account holders).

Nothing has changed in their policy along these lines (yet); the $2500 penalty has been there for many years.

• If you are a seller and receive funds for transactions that violate the Acceptable Use Policy, then in addition to being subject to the above actions you will be liable to PayPal for the amount of PayPal’s damages caused by your violation of the Acceptable Use Policy. You acknowledge and agree that $2,500.00 U.S. dollars per violation of the Acceptable Use Policy is presently a reasonable minimum estimate of PayPal’s actual damages - including, but not limited to, internal administrative costs incurred by PayPal to monitor and track violations, damage to PayPal’s brand and reputation, and penalties imposed upon PayPal by its business partners resulting from a user’s violation - considering all currently existing circumstances, including the relationship of the sum to the range of harm to PayPal that reasonably could be anticipated because, due to the nature of the violations of the Acceptable Use Policy, actual damages would be impractical or extremely difficult to calculate. PayPal may deduct such damages directly from any existing balance in any PayPal account you control.

If you read their restricted activities, you will not find anything that even hints at "spreading misinformation"; rather, it refers to the use of PayPal for conducting transactions.  PayPal is NOT going to be monitoring social media accounts to see how many people make up stuff about politicians, covid, nor Brandon himself.

Restricted Activities

In connection with your use of our websites, your PayPal account, the PayPal services, or in the course of your interactions with PayPal, other PayPal customers, or third parties, you must not:

...Snip  

• Sell counterfeit goods;
  • Act in a manner that is defamatory, trade libelous, threatening or harassing;
  • Provide false, inaccurate or misleading information;
  • Send or receive what we reasonably believe to be potentially fraudulent funds;

/Snip...

List is here under the User Agreement:  https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#s4-restricted-activities

Again, this policy has been in place for YEARS.  Nothing new.

Timeline

I received a notification of new T+C recently and like most people deleted it.

I have not Pay Pal for sometime, but pretty sure it is linked to my Bank Account.

I saw something this morning that suggested a U turn but have not looked further.

I have a passable knowledge of UK law regarding Liquidated and Ascertained Damages, do not know how this works in the US, I am pretty certain this sort of think would be laughed out of Court in the UK.

But the fact that it was included at all in any format strikes me a deeply worrying and yes I know how the Chinese Government operate in this area.

Wrong Think and suddenly you can not buy a train ticket etc.

Timeline

Just more examples of supposedly woke corporations meddling in the free speech of its users/ customers.  I expect they will rely on the MSM “fact checkers” or the Feds and their letters from “experts”.  The fact that they are creating confusion in what they plan to do is all the more reason to leave them in the dust.  I never used PayPal, so not worried.

Timeline

PayPal Automatically Pulls $2,500 In Reparations From All White People's Accounts

SAN JOSE, CA — Last week, PayPal faced backlash after including verbiage in its Acceptable Use Policy that allowed the company to fine users $2,500 for "misinformation." While the company has said that the verbiage was posted "in error" and they never intended to fine users for misinformation, the online community has spotted additional fine print allowing PayPal to levy $2,500 fees against white people for reparations.

"Acceptable Use Policy infractions include…being white, for which infraction reparations of $2,500 will be automatically withdrawn from users and redistributed to historically oppressed groups." PayPal's terms of service were scoured by eagle-eyed critics over the weekend, many of whom took issue with their PayPal accounts being raided after they filled out the "Caucasian" race on the checkbox and then clicked "I confirm that I have read and agree to the terms of equity service" without noticing they were opting into being fined for reparations.

https://babylonbee.com/news/paypal-to-automatically-pull-2500-in-reparations-from-all-white-peoples-accounts