Johannab143

Flying night of N-400 Interview

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Everyone!

I booked a trip to the UK 3 months ago and just got my N-400 interview date…… it’s the morning of the day I fly!

Do they take your passport? Am I still safe to fly or should I reschedule for the week after I return? 
Thank you for any insight! 

If I was in your shoes, I'd rearrange my travel plans, e.g would leave a day after interview or so. This is to make sure you have enough time to get to the airport etc. When rescheduling N-400 interview, there's always a possibility of your application getting stuck and forgotten.

AFAIK they shouldn't take your foreign passport, that's a property of different government.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
5 hours ago, Johannab143 said:

I booked a trip to the UK 3 months ago and just got my N-400 interview date…… it’s the morning of the day I fly!

Do they take your passport?

no

5 hours ago, Johannab143 said:

Am I still safe to fly or should I reschedule for the week after I return? 

If you get a same day oath, you won’t have your gc and so you won’t be able to board a flight to  the USA since you will be U.S. Citizen with no U.S. passport. 

Also legally you are expected to hold a U.S. passport when departing the U.S. by commercial air.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

@Johannab143

They won’t ever take your British passport. An interview does not make you a US citizen. An oath ceremony makes you a USC, so don’t take the oath ceremony until you are back from your travel abroad. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you everyone, I appreciate you and didn’t even think of the GC issue!

Another side question, 

how difficult would it be to reschedule the interview if anyone has experience of that?

On 10/8/2022 at 9:42 AM, Johannab143 said:

Thank you everyone, I appreciate you and didn’t even think of the GC issue!

Another side question, 

how difficult would it be to reschedule the interview if anyone has experience of that?

Don’t. You could wait for months more.  Just decline an offer of same day oath IF they even offer that to you . Then you keep both your passport and green card. Ask them to schedule you a regular ceremony and ask if they can do it for when you are back. I’m assuming you don’t plan to be out for months on end of course.
When you take your oath you fill in a form for updates between interview and oath, where you’ll list your trip out the US. Simple.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.