aa18

Travel Domestically While Waiting on AOS?

8 posts in this topic

Hello All. I know there were similar threads about this topic and I’ve done some googling, but the ones I’ve seen were a bit outdated. I wanted to know if it’s okay to fly within the United States while AOS application is pending? We have to send some more evidence in (we forgot to submit cosponsors birth certificate). My husband doesn’t want anything flagged and is nervous to fly while we are waiting. He will need to present his passport or license while traveling. Any advice or comments about recent travel will make us feel a little more at ease! (For context we want to travel from NY to FL for a friends wedding).

Edited by aa18

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
9 minutes ago, aa18 said:

Hello All. I know there were similar threads about this topic and I’ve done some googling, but the ones I’ve seen were a bit outdated. I wanted to know if it’s okay to fly within the United States while AOS application is pending? We have to send some more evidence in (we forgot to submit cosponsors birth certificate). My husband doesn’t want anything flagged and is nervous to fly while we are waiting. He will need to present his passport or license while traveling. Any advice or comments about recent travel will make us feel a little more at ease! (For context we want to travel from NY to FL for a friends wedding).

Wasn’t a problem for us when we flew from New York to Florida in July, I was still waiting for approval for the AOS, so as long as it’s pending, it will be fine 🙂. Take a copy of the NOA1 if you’re worried, for peace of mind but you shouldn’t need it!

26 minutes ago, aa18 said:

His application “is actively being reviewed by USCIS” 

What I meant by "out of status":

1. If he overstayed his B1/B2 visa or ESTA

2. If he dropped out of college while on F1 student visa

3. If he left his employer and doesn't have a job while on H1B

You get the gist, I hope.

If he is out of status, I would ask a more knowledgable person. If he is in status (maintaining his visa etc) then should not be a problem at all.

Just have his letter in case if he need to explain his status to officials (which he shouldn't need to do in most cases I would believe).

---------

Sorry, I misread this is K1/K3.

Ignore me. Should be fine.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You only need your ID or DL for domestic flight..just book your flight/ present that at airport 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

He can travel with his passport and a  copy of his  I-485 receipt. Rarely, CBP checks for I-485 receipts of aliens  who have neither a valid  non immigrant status nor a valid immigrant status. And these checks can happen to pax traveling domestically.  Keep in mind that CBP has this authority within 200 miles of the border and the border includes coast line.  

See 

and

https://www.reddit.com/r/immigration/comments/pvrtx5/asked_to_prove_immigration_status_to_fly/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.