Angelica Sanchez

Mistakes in N-400

14 posts in this topic

Kind of embarrassing but I was reviewing my N-400 since my interview is coming soon and I discover several mistakes:

Like in the part where you enter your employment information it clearly says "start with the current or most recent job"

and I did the opposite I started with the previous one and then the current one.  

Also I totally spaced to mention that I worked for a few days in a restaurant... it was like a practice period and at the end I decided not to take that job  but still got paid for those days so I guess that counts? this was in 2019 and I sincerely forgot about it

In the second page "info about you" there are 3 questions I left blank ( not intentionally, I thought I answered everything). The questions that do not apply to me like "Exemptions for the English test" and same case in question 13 where asks if you were involved with the Nazi movement. I read that somebody else had this mistake and somebody replied that it might me a system issue since based on my age those questions do not apply to me but I don't know.

And the one that concerns me the most is the part 18 Oath of Allegiance I did not sign. Great!

Did anybody had or heard about experiences like this? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I see no problem with the dates nor 3 days of trial employment. 

And those Nazi questions don't actually show up when you're filling your form online. They show up on the snapshot once you're done. From my experience, they're questions to be asked and answered infront of IO. 

Breathe

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

2 minutes ago, Timona said:

I see no problem with the dates nor 3 days of trial employment. 

And those Nazi questions don't actually show up when you're filling your form online. They show up on the snapshot once you're done. From my experience, they're questions to be asked and answered infront of IO. 

Breathe

Thanks, Timona :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Angelica Sanchez said:

And the one that concerns me the most is the part 18 Oath of Allegiance I did not sign

You aren’t supposed to sign section 18. From the instructions. 

”Part 18. Oath of Allegiance
Do not complete this part. The USCIS Officer will ask you to complete this part at your interview.
If USCIS approves your application, you must take this Oath of Allegiance to become a U.S. citizen. In limited
cases, you can take a modified oath. The oath requirement cannot be waived unless you are unable to understand its meaning because of a physical or developmental disability or mental impairment. For more information, see A Guide to Naturalization (M-476). Your signature on this application only indicates that you have no objections to taking the Oath of Allegiance. It does not mean that you have taken the oath or that you are naturalized. If USCIS approves your Form N-400 for naturalization, you must attend an oath ceremony and take the Oath of Allegiance to the United States.” 

Edited by Mike E

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

You aren’t supposed to sign section 18. From the instructions. 

”Part 18. Oath of Allegiance
Do not complete this part. The USCIS Officer will ask you to complete this part at your interview.
If USCIS approves your application, you must take this Oath of Allegiance to become a U.S. citizen. In limited
cases, you can take a modified oath. The oath requirement cannot be waived unless you are unable to understand its meaning because of a physical or developmental disability or mental impairment. For more information, see A Guide to Naturalization (M-476). Your signature on this application only indicates that you have no objections to taking the Oath of Allegiance. It does not mean that you have taken the oath or that you are naturalized. If USCIS approves your Form N-400 for naturalization, you must attend an oath ceremony and take the Oath of Allegiance to the United States.” 

Thanks Mike… I did not see that part tonight when I was reviewing my application, I guess it showed when I was filling the application online and I followed instructions after all. Thanks again :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
5 hours ago, Angelica Sanchez said:

Thanks Mike… I did not see that part tonight when I was reviewing my application, I guess it showed when I was filling the application online and I followed instructions after all. Thanks again :)

I’m not a fan filing online for this and more reasons I can count.  

Unfortunately my wife’s lawyer is a fan of online. Hence  much to my surprise my wife’s lawyer will be filing online.  That’s ok, the lawyer can own all the errors and I can  tell her (the lawyer, not my wife):  “told ya”.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You should have the opportunity to correct any mistakes on the N400 form at the interview.  Make sure you bring any supporting evidence with you for any corrections you have to make.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Prepare a errata sheet with supporting evidences and bring them to your interview. Before you are sworn in, just let the officer know that there are some mistakes you made in the application and want to correct them.

Half purpose of the interview is to correct any items on the application, while the other half is eligibility verification.  

Did you file this n400 online or mailed it?

6 hours ago, Mobius1 said:

Prepare a errata sheet with supporting evidences and bring them to your interview. Before you are sworn in, just let the officer know that there are some mistakes you made in the application and want to correct them.

Half purpose of the interview is to correct any items on the application, while the other half is eligibility verification.  

Did you file this n400 online or mailed it?

I did it online. Thanks for your input, very helpful

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
12 hours ago, Mike E said:

I’m not a fan filing online for this and more reasons I can count.  

Unfortunately my wife’s lawyer is a fan of online. Hence  much to my surprise my wife’s lawyer will be filing online.  That’s ok, the lawyer can own all the errors and I can  tell her (the lawyer, not my wife):  “told ya”.  

Lowers never make mistakes, and in the rare cases they do, they still get paid. And the best part is, THEY ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE, FOR THE CONTENTS OF THE FORMS. 

On 10/7/2022 at 12:43 PM, Angelica Sanchez said:

Thanks, I tend to overthink but after reading the comments here I feel better:)

Yeah, just remember they’re not trying to catch you out. People make mistakes and especially when there is such a long time between filing and interview for some offices, things change. Also when I did it, some things looked blank on the e-copy I had but the interviewer had the copy with the correct answers. In the interview you’ll just correct/update as necessary, and they’ll show you the corrections and you sign them.  Not an issue. You’ll be fine :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.