CebuGuy

Letter of Single Status Needed for Interview?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm still waiting on the NOA2 approval (should be soon...) and preparing some documents ahead of time for the eventual interview. Fiancée (from the Philippines) is saying I need to send her a Letter of Single Status of the petitioner because other filipinas are reporting having to show it during the interview.

The problem is that I live in Los Angeles and the LA County Clerk/Records office specifically says on their website that they don't issue Letters of Single Status. What can I do? Is a Letter of Single Status really required for the interview?

There is no such thing in the United States.    Therefore, there is no requirement of the petitioner.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I believe it may be required for the beneficiary. I think it's also needed if you want to get married in the Philippines, at which point you'd get it from the US Embassy in Manila.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

There is no such thing in the United States.    Therefore, there is no requirement of the petitioner.

There's some counties in California that do issue it like Santa Clara so that's why I'm asking.

Edited by CebuGuy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
26 minutes ago, CebuGuy said:

There's some counties in California that do issue it like Santa Clara so that's why I'm asking.

As a former resident of Santa Clara County I was intrigued by this. Sure enough 

https://clerkrecorder.sccgov.org/services-we-provide/letter-no-record-single-status

FWIW while I was a resident of SCC, the US embassy in Rangoon didn’t require this certificate when it interviewed my fiancée. 

57 minutes ago, CebuGuy said:

It’s nonsense because all it shows is that you didn’t marry in that particular county.   What’s to stop you from driving into the next county and marrying?

8 hours ago, CebuGuy said:

I'm still waiting on the NOA2 approval (should be soon...) and preparing some documents ahead of time for the eventual interview. Fiancée (from the Philippines) is saying I need to send her a Letter of Single Status of the petitioner because other filipinas are reporting having to show it during the interview.

The problem is that I live in Los Angeles and the LA County Clerk/Records office specifically says on their website that they don't issue Letters of Single Status. What can I do? Is a Letter of Single Status really required for the interview?

Google "Affidavit of Single Status". Technically, there is not an official form in the US or it may vary county by county or state by state, but it doesn't hurt to have one at the K1 interview as another supporting document. In the Philippines, there is the CENOMAR--Certificate of No Marriage, so having a complement from the US petitioner doesn't hurt.

So for our case, I wrote a simple letter addressing "To Whom It May Concern" that I was single and never been married, and signed/notarized at an UPS notary (paid $10). Then I sent it to my K1 beneficiary along with the I-134 for her K1 interview. I can't speak for others, but I rather include an extra notarized supporting document than not to avoid the risk of the 221g.

Edited by EatBulaga

6 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

I believe it may be required for the beneficiary. I think it's also needed if you want to get married in the Philippines, at which point you'd get it from the US Embassy in Manila.

OP was asking about the Petitioner not the beneficary

OP is doing K1 not Spousal

Edited by Palawan

8 hours ago, CebuGuy said:

Letter of single status is not needed from you

You have been told incorrect information from your fiance

Just now, EatBulaga said:

I'm not an official notary. And I don't think a notary can notarize themselves. I went ahead and listed what I did above in case others want to over-document like I did.

Again, I rather over-document, than not and risk a 221g, or complain it was a waste of time when we had already waited for a year just to get to the K1 interview.

You got a non sense document, might as well signed it with a non sense signuture.  

Common knowldege would tell you that form wasn't needed from a US Citizen for the interview.

13 minutes ago, Palawan said:

You got a non sense document, might as well signed it with a non sense signuture.  

Common knowldege would tell you that form wasn't needed from a US Citizen for the interview.

Nonsense or not, the K1 interviewer may or may not have common sense.

Why not even for the sake of the K1 beneficiary's peace of mind for the K1 interview to just give her an extra supporting document, especially if it is simple and $10?

I did it and don't regret doing it, non-sense or not, common sense or not.

Edited by EatBulaga

15 minutes ago, EatBulaga said:

Nonsense or not, the K1 interviewer may or may not have common sense.

Why not even for the sake of the K1 beneficiary's peace of mind for the K1 interview to just give her an extra supporting document, especially if it is simple and $10?

I did it and don't regret doing it, non-sense or not, common sense or not.

K1 Interviewer is very versed and has done extensive research on what is needed, You never been to K1 Interview at the US Embassy in Manila?  Never has a petitioner for K1 been asked for this and there is no CO who would be stupid enough to ask for this.

Why waste time and effort getting a document that is not needed ,this is silly, concentrate on getting the correct documents needed instead of the incorrect ones.

Edited by Palawan

10 hours ago, CebuGuy said:

Fiancée (from the Philippines) is saying I need to send her a Letter of Single Status of the petitioner because other filipinas are reporting having to show it during the interview.

There is no requirement for "Letter of Single Status" from the petitioner, but there could be a requirement for the USC petitioner's CENOMAR (Certificate of No Marriage) from PSA in certain cases.  The key point is whether you (the petitioner) were born in the Philippines and lived there for at least a year as an adult.  So, were you born in the PH and lived there as an adult?

This requirement is in the published interview checklist for the US embassy in Manila -- https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/MNL-Manila.html#pre_interview_checklist

"For K1, F2A spouse, and CR1/IR1 petitions: If your petitioner was born in the Philippines and lived at least one (1) year in the Philippines after the age of 18 –A Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) from the PSA valid within one (1) year from the date it was obtained."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
11 hours ago, EatBulaga said:

I'm not an official notary. And I don't think a notary can notarize themselves. I went ahead and listed the simple steps to what I did above in case others want to over-document like I did.

Again, I rather over-document, than not, or risk a 221g, or complain it was a waste of time when we had already waited for a year just to get to the K1 interview.

Any Papers from the US to the Philippines, should be apostilled. Notary does not notarize the content of a document, only the signature. Apostille does verify the content, therefore  apostille is the prefered document. If it is a state document, it can be apostilled, by the state. If it is a federal document, it has to go the the department of state. 

Timeline
11 hours ago, Chancy said:

There is no requirement for "Letter of Single Status" from the petitioner, but there could be a requirement for the USC petitioner's CENOMAR (Certificate of No Marriage) from PSA in certain cases.  The key point is whether you (the petitioner) were born in the Philippines and lived there for at least a year as an adult.  So, were you born in the PH and lived there as an adult?

This requirement is in the published interview checklist for the US embassy in Manila -- https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/MNL-Manila.html#pre_interview_checklist

"For K1, F2A spouse, and CR1/IR1 petitions: If your petitioner was born in the Philippines and lived at least one (1) year in the Philippines after the age of 18 –A Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) from the PSA valid within one (1) year from the date it was obtained."

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.