Annie280

My job is having a huge layoff today - if I am part of the group that is let go - how will this affect the interview?

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, Annie280 said:

Appreciate you so much, thank you ❤️ 

Thank you this is super helpful. They did mention a severance package of 4-6 weeks pay.

Then you are still receiving income from the same employer at the time of interview. Like being on vacation 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

As a new hire i would definitely think you will be one of the one to be let go

the Moroccan CO could have asked for a joint sponsor if they realized u were a new hire anyway

i would get the joint sponsor,  his I 864 done (original,  copy of 1040,  W2's)  u don't have time to get the IRS transcrpts unless the joint sponsor can download them from IRS online

u do need original I 864 not a copy for Casa

get the sponsor

don't  panic   /just do what needs to be done

remember u can both look for jobs when you return and he has the visa in hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Annie280 said:

Thank you this is super helpful. They did mention a severance package of 4-6 weeks pay.

IME the severance is in addition to the  60 days of being on the payroll.  The severance is paid out after the 60 days. Typically the employer hopes the impacted employees  can find another job within the company before the 60 days is up so that the severance doesn’t have to be paid.

Thus 10 days from now when your spouse has the interview, it is probable you will still be on the payroll and thus there is no need for a joint sponsor and no issue of misrepresentation.  There is zero reason to mention that you were impacted (assuming you are). 

Finally, I’ve been through  a dozen or more layoffs, and IMO the newest hires are generally the least likely to be impacted. I recall one post layoff meeting where a new hire asked why she was still here.  The executive responded that she was hired because of a new strategic direction and the layoff if anything sharpened the focus on the business strategy.  Employers generally don’t hire replacement employees for lines of business they intend to cancel or scale back.  And most layoffs are planned months in advance.  

There was this one layoff though. I had 14 years with my employer. And I was impacted. For first time ever.  I was angry 😡. But what made me angrier was that my next job paid me 60 percent more money. Like a chump I was leaving money on the  table for 14 years. 

Decades before that, my  first layoff experience was personally gut wrenching as a 26 year old.  Every day for a month there was a deep pit my stomach as one who got through unscathed.  You will get overcome this.  

Hang in there. 

Edited by Mike E

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Casablanca does not ask the applicant to bring in the AoS package. It is a done deal once approved by NVC, unless you are cutting it close to the poverty limits.

11/17/2016: Got engaged
11/28/2016: I-130 sent to Chicago IL lock box
01/12/2016: NOA1

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lil bear said:

Then you are still receiving income from the same employer at the time of interview. Like being on vacation 

I'm not sure if they are taking me off the books immediately and paying me the severance all at once. I did in-fact get laid off today :(

41 minutes ago, etrangais said:

Casablanca does not ask the applicant to bring in the AoS package. It is a done deal once approved by NVC, unless you are cutting it close to the poverty limits.

So you think I am safe? I just don't want to mess with immigration or screw this up. I did get laid off 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Mike E said:

IME the severance is in addition to the  60 days of being on the payroll.  The severance is paid out after the 60 days. Typically the employer hopes the impacted employees  can find another job within the company before the 60 days is up so that the severance doesn’t have to be paid.

Thus 10 days from now when your spouse has the interview, it is probable you will still be on the payroll and thus there is no need for a joint sponsor and no issue of misrepresentation.  There is zero reason to mention that you were impacted (assuming you are). 

Finally, I’ve been through  a dozen or more layoffs, and IMO the newest hires are generally the least likely to be impacted. I recall one post layoff meeting where a new hire asked why she was still here.  The executive responded that she was hired because of a new strategic direction and the layoff if anything sharpened the focus on the business strategy.  Employers generally don’t hire replacement employees for lines of business they intend to cancel or scale back.  And most layoffs are planned months in advance.  

There was this one layoff though. I had 14 years with my employer. And I was impacted. For first time ever.  I was angry 😡. But what made me angrier was that my next job paid me 60 percent more money. Like a chump I was leaving money on the  table for 14 years. 

Decades before that, my  first layoff experience was personally gut wrenching as a 26 year old.  Every day for a month there was a deep pit my stomach as one who got through unscathed.  You will get overcome this.  

Hang in there. 

I appreciate that thank you. I did get laid off :( My departure meeting is in an hour. Just horrible timing. Is it odd to ask when they will take me off the books? This is probably a blessing in disguise, i HATED my job, but it was income. Damn. Appreciate this so much thank you

Timeline
44 minutes ago, etrangais said:

No I am not cutting it close to poverty limits. I did fairly well for myself, but I did get laid off. My husband thinks it is safer not to say anything, he might be right. I just don't want to deal with any trouble you know?

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Annie280 said:

No I am not cutting it close to poverty limits. I did fairly well for myself, but I did get laid off. My husband thinks it is safer not to say anything, he might be right. I just don't want to deal with any trouble you know?

Sorry to hear. 😓. No way of knowing what will be asked at the interview. If he is asked to confirm your employment or if any of the info in the I864 has changed etc he must answer honestly. That will trigger the requirement for a joint sponsor. The decision on his visa will not be able to be made until all that is in the hands of the Consulate. Thats why we are saying get the joint sponsor paperwork done now. Carry it with you to him in a few days when you go. All done and good to go. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Sorry to hear. 😓. No way of knowing what will be asked at the interview. If he is asked to confirm your employment or if any of the info in the I864 has changed etc he must answer honestly. That will trigger the requirement for a joint sponsor. The decision on his visa will not be able to be made until all that is in the hands of the Consulate. Thats why we are saying get the joint sponsor paperwork done now. Carry it with you to him in a few days when you go. All done and good to go. 

Good point, I guess it is safe to have on hand. My mom offered to sponsor, should she provide transcripts as well? Thank you so much.

Timeline
Just now, Annie280 said:

Good point, I guess it is safe to have on hand. My mom offered to sponsor, should she provide transcripts as well? Thank you so much.

Yes. Go for it She needs tax transcript if possible .. can download and print .. or complete tax return including ALL w2 and 1099…as well as evidence if current income .. usually 3 months of payslips.. and a copy of the bio page of her US passport or other listed evidence of being a USC or LPR.  You can do it !!!!! ..

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Annie280 said:

I appreciate that thank you. I did get laid off :( My departure meeting is in an hour. Just horrible timing. Is it odd to ask when they will take me off the books? This is probably a blessing in disguise, i HATED my job, but it was income. Damn. Appreciate this so much thank you

It is not odd at all.  Ask them if you will be be on the payroll and for how long.  

Also ask if you will be able to search for another position within the company. 

How many employees does your company have?

Timeline
1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

As a new hire i would definitely think you will be one of the one to be let go

the Moroccan CO could have asked for a joint sponsor if they realized u were a new hire anyway

i would get the joint sponsor,  his I 864 done (original,  copy of 1040,  W2's)  u don't have time to get the IRS transcrpts unless the joint sponsor can download them from IRS online

u do need original I 864 not a copy for Casa

get the sponsor

don't  panic   /just do what needs to be done

remember u can both look for jobs when you return and he has the visa in hand

Thank you! My mom said she would sponsor so we will have all required docs on hand just in case they ask. Thank you so much.

Timeline
Just now, Mike E said:

It is not odd at all.  Ask them if you will be be on the payroll and for how long.  

Also ask if you will be able to search for another position within the company. 

How many employees does your company have?

I feel a little bitter honestly and don't even want to stay at this company. They had about 400 but it is looking like 100-something now. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Annie280 said:

I feel a little bitter honestly and don't even want to stay at this company. They had about 400 but it is looking like 100-something now. 

With those numbers it isn’t clear they have to comply with https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worker_Adjustment_and_Retraining_Notification_Act_of_1988

How are you set for liquid assets?

Starting tomorrow try to find another job 

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, etrangais said:

it does list it on Casa embassy site as needed document

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/CSB-Casablanca.html

For family-based visa applications:

• The appropriate Form I-864 Affidavit of Support for each financial sponsor along with a photocopy of the sponsor’s IRS transcript or most recent U.S. federal income tax return, and any relevant W-2s.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.