SM0

Visa Medical Preperation

9 posts in this topic

I have started preparing for my visa medical, gathering required documents etc. and reading through past experiences people have posted. I have noted some people have mentioned having to fill out additional paper work upon arrival but I couldn’t see any specific details of what is included.

Could anyone please let me know what other information is asked so I can prepare?

Edited by SM0

On 10/2/2022 at 11:19 AM, SM0 said:

I have started preparing for my visa medical, gathering required documents etc. and reading through past experiences people have posted. I have noted some people have mentioned having to fill out additional paper work upon arrival but I couldn’t see any specific details of what is included.

Could anyone please let me know what other information is asked so I can prepare?

Hi there - you should get instructions once you get your interview letter - but here are some anyway - https://visamedicals.co.uk/united-states/ 

My interview is 30 November and have been told by the medical place that they need 5 days after the medical to process it and get it to the embassy and then the embassy needs another 5 days before interview - so 10 days between medical and interview. I've seen this mentioned under another topic. I see back in March that medicals were regularly taking place after interview.

Any thoughts on what happens if I just book the medical 2-3 days before the interview, knowing that the prep won't be done and the embassy won't have the medical paperwork in time for the interview. Of course we won't get approved as anticipated on the day. Is it just a case of things being delayed after the interview - so instead of a, say, 5 day wait, it's more like 10 days? Is that risky? Would value any advice.

2 hours ago, Clare and Claire said:

My interview is 30 November and have been told by the medical place that they need 5 days after the medical to process it and get it to the embassy and then the embassy needs another 5 days before interview - so 10 days between medical and interview. I've seen this mentioned under another topic. I see back in March that medicals were regularly taking place after interview.

Any thoughts on what happens if I just book the medical 2-3 days before the interview, knowing that the prep won't be done and the embassy won't have the medical paperwork in time for the interview. Of course we won't get approved as anticipated on the day. Is it just a case of things being delayed after the interview - so instead of a, say, 5 day wait, it's more like 10 days? Is that risky? Would value any advice.

You’ll get a slip of paper saying you’re refused until they receive and process the medical. As long as you don’t mind the additional wait then this shouldn’t be a problem.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
On 10/2/2022 at 1:19 PM, SM0 said:

The embassy posts a questionnaire to take with you  https://uk.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/2017/05/USA-MEDICAL-QUESTIONNAIRE_IV.pdf

and the clinic will have their own questionnaire to hand you at the visit. People describe it as similar to the embassy’s posted questionnaire with maybe a little more detail. It is just gathering your medical history. 

The rest of what to bring to the medical is posted on the clinic’s website. Clare and Claire posted the link for you above.

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline
10 hours ago, Clare and Claire said:

Is it just a case of things being delayed after the interview - so instead of a, say, 5 day wait, it's more like 10 days? Is that risky? Would value any advice.

They have a work flow system and if your medical isn’t there, you sort of get “paused” and get out of the work flow queue. They will get back to you when they can. It won’t necessarily be the day your medical arrives. They continue to have new cases/interviews daily which will have priority over you to process first. As long as you know there is no set number of days for them to backtrack and pick up your case again, then all will be well. It could be a couple of days or two weeks so just patiently wait it out without panicking about the timeline. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2022 at 7:49 AM, Wuozopo said:

They have a work flow system and if your medical isn’t there, you sort of get “paused” and get out of the work flow queue. They will get back to you when they can. It won’t necessarily be the day your medical arrives. They continue to have new cases/interviews daily which will have priority over you to process first. As long as you know there is no set number of days for them to backtrack and pick up your case again, then all will be well. It could be a couple of days or two weeks so just patiently wait it out without panicking about the timeline. 

Thanks so much Wuozopo for replying - I hoped you would - your posts are always excellent. I did actually reply the day I received it - and then couldn't get on the website again - that was the day they did some sort of upgrade so maybe it got lost in the change over. Anyway, things have moved on slightly - and I currently plan for 5-6 working days in advance of interview. 

I still haven't booked the medical for complicated reasons. The medical place told me I needed 10 days before medical and interview (5 days for their clearance and 5 days for Embassy) and that I could have my interview cancelled if I didn't. I phoned a couple of days later, spoke to someone else who hadn't heard of such a cancellation issue. I messaged the embassy and after a good few days all they stated was that I needed 5 days and I trust they'll stick to that and not turn me away. I am conscious of your advice so I'll meet the 5 days (I can do that ok) and accept I may get dropped from the workflow for a bit but I'll ensure at least 5 days so there's at least a chance it'll be there for the interview.  

Timeline
3 hours ago, Clare and Claire said:

Thanks so much Wuozopo for replying - I hoped you would - your posts are always excellent. I did actually reply the day I received it - and then couldn't get on the website again - that was the day they did some sort of upgrade so maybe it got lost in the change over. Anyway, things have moved on slightly - and I currently plan for 5-6 working days in advance of interview. 

I still haven't booked the medical for complicated reasons. The medical place told me I needed 10 days before medical and interview (5 days for their clearance and 5 days for Embassy) and that I could have my interview cancelled if I didn't. I phoned a couple of days later, spoke to someone else who hadn't heard of such a cancellation issue. I messaged the embassy and after a good few days all they stated was that I needed 5 days and I trust they'll stick to that and not turn me away. I am conscious of your advice so I'll meet the 5 days (I can do that ok) and accept I may get dropped from the workflow for a bit but I'll ensure at least 5 days so there's at least a chance it'll be there for the interview.  

They have interviewed people, many people,  whose medical was not there. Some have had the medical the same day as the interview, days after the interview, or before and it just didn’t make the interview whether backlogged at the clinic or the embassy. Of course the embassy wants the medical there so the flow is not interrupted. You will still interview no matter what. 

Are you stalling the medical ?  If you wait on purpose and the doctor needs more information, then allowing five days is further delayed while you get something more from your doctor. 

On 10/13/2022 at 3:16 PM, Wuozopo said:

They have interviewed people, many people,  whose medical was not there. Some have had the medical the same day as the interview, days after the interview, or before and it just didn’t make the interview whether backlogged at the clinic or the embassy. Of course the embassy wants the medical there so the flow is not interrupted. You will still interview no matter what. 

Are you stalling the medical ?  If you wait on purpose and the doctor needs more information, then allowing five days is further delayed while you get something more from your doctor. 

It's not that I'm deliberately stalling - it's just that I'm teaching and so trying to minimize the time I'm away in London. I've now booked the medical with 6 clear days before interview. We don't have/ haven't had any medical issues and have documentation - but I need to check to see if I can get anything further. They say that they also need a summary of medical history from GP - a problems list - a new requirement that they acknowledge isn't on the Embassy website. I'll make sure I have as much as possible.   

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.