Sarge2155

I-751 October 2022 - Filers

349 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
1 hour ago, He and I said:

Thank you for your quick response! Obviously we carry our GC all the time so we travel with it.

However, as I said our GC expires on Dec 2022 and we'll back on November 23. Does it mean that even if the GC is not expired, we still need to provide the extension letter? I was thinking bringing it just in case we need to extend our stay abroad after the expiration date.

I don't think you technically need to bring it if the GC isn't expired yet, but considering how close to the expiration date your trip is, I think it would be wise to bring it just in case your trip is extended to to illness, injury, flight cancellations, etc. Better safe than sorry since they won't let you back into the US without that letter if the GC expires while you're out of the country.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline
10 hours ago, JenIE said:

I don't think you technically need to bring it if the GC isn't expired yet, but considering how close to the expiration date your trip is, I think it would be wise to bring it just in case your trip is extended to to illness, injury, flight cancellations, etc. Better safe than sorry since they won't let you back into the US without that letter if the GC expires while you're out of the country.

Agree and will do. Thank you!

Hello everyone! 

Feels like just yesterday I was signing out of this after receiving my greencard. Wow how two years have flown! Here’s my timeline so far ☺️

application submitted Oct 18th

delivered Oct 20th

text received Oct 27th

check cashed Oct 28th 

still waiting for NOA to arrive 

here we go again! 

Hello all. Question about real ID Driving License: can you renew your Real ID DL with NOA letter?  My DMV said that they can’t give me Real ID DL renewal with NOA extension letter only with the new GC. Is that the same with you too?

2 minutes ago, Ihatebaseboards said:

Hello all. Question about real ID Driving License: can you renew your Real ID DL with NOA letter?  My DMV said that they can’t give me Real ID DL renewal with NOA extension letter only with the new GC. Is that the same with you too?

Which state and city are you in?

Usually you can renew your DL using expired GC and valid extension letter. It may be a case of DMV staff not knowing what they're doing. To suggest that people would live for 12-24 months (I-751 processing times) without ID is outrageous.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Ihatebaseboards said:

They are wrong/misinformed.

I am in CA and if you go to the CA DMV site, they list documents for renewing an ID. One of the options is:

Valid Permanent Resident Card with Notice of Action (I-797 C) or Approval Notice (I-797)

This means having an expired green card with the NOA that extends the validity for 24 months.

12 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Which state and city are you in?

Usually you can renew your DL using expired GC and valid extension letter. It may be a case of DMV staff not knowing what they're doing. To suggest that people would live for 12-24 months (I-751 processing times) without ID is outrageous.

I am in NJ. They have downgraded my DL to standard instead of Real ID (which I always had even with H1B work visa NOA). I just cannot find proof that this should be acceptable. 

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Ihatebaseboards said:

I am in NJ. They have downgraded my DL to standard instead of Real ID (which I always had even with H1B work visa NOA). I just cannot find proof that this should be acceptable. 

I just looked at the NJ DMV site. I found the following:
https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/license/Standard_License_Sheet_Engl.pdf

This document above lists what forms of proof are acceptable. On the list is Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551)  and there is a note at the top of this document that says: "No primary or secondary documents can be expired more than three years." This implies to me that you can use your current Green Card as proof because it's not expired more than 3 years. If they want it to be "current" then the letter should serve as proof.

Also when you go to renew online I see this (see attachment):

"Current Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) issued by USCIS (with expiration date)"

I interpret this as not needing to be UNexpired because you can see other items that explicitly say the document must be unexpired.

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 11.10.16 AM.png

14 minutes ago, JenIE said:

This document above lists what forms of proof are acceptable. On the list is Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551)  and there is a note at the top of this document that says: "No primary or secondary documents can be expired more than three years." This implies to me that you can use your current Green Card as proof because it's not expired more than 3 years. If they want it to be "current" then the letter should serve as proof.

"Current Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) issued by USCIS (with expiration date)"

I interpret this as not needing to be UNexpired because you can see other items that explicitly say the document must be unexpired.

14 minutes ago, JenIE said:

Thank you for your research. This is the question of my driving license validity period. My driver license experiation date is same as my GC expiration date 😭

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ihatebaseboards said:

Thank you for your research. This is the question of my driving license validity period. My driver license experiation date is same as my GC expiration date 😭

That's very frustrating. From everything I saw in the research you should be able to renew the REAL ID with the expired GC + extension letter, but I guess in the worst case you still have a regular DL which will allow you to drive. The only difference is that when boarding a domestic airline starting next year you will also have to show your GC as an additional proof of ID because you won't have the REAL ID.

If you are unsuccessful in getting the REAL ID at this time, you can always submit to get it once you receive your new GC.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 10/26/2022 at 10:37 PM, skyline385 said:

Sent on 10/18 through USPS Next-Day Priority Express, delivered to Illinois Lockbox on 10/19.

Got a receipt number through email/SMS on 10/24 and myUSCIS shows as "Case Was Received" on Oct. 21, still awaiting physical copy of receipt.

Does this mean that my case was accepted or will they be another update in my case history for it?

Update on my timeline, got 24 month extension in mail on 10/31, now the waiting begins!

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by skyline385

On 10/20/2022 at 8:38 PM, Alv said:
On 10/17/2022 at 8:15 PM, Alv said:

Hello Everyone,

Joining the October 2022 filers:

Submitted documentation via Fedex: 10/5/2022

Credit card charged: 10/7/2022

NOA-1, 24 month extension letter received: 10/17/2022

Receipt number starts with MSC - MSC – National Benefits Center

Don't know if this the office that is processing our case or if this the generic receipt numbers, couldn't find another processing center on the letter or online for our case. Good luck to everyone.

We received our appointment for biometrics today, scheduled for 10/31/22. Moving along pretty fast I guess. 

Completed biometrics yesterday, in and out in about 10 minutes... Got an estimated date of June 2024 from VJ the day before yesterday. Let's see how long it actually takes

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.