Anne2009

Question for the I-485 filing fee, thank you for the help

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

Thank you for helping me with this confused info on Form I-485  instruction. My husband is a U.S. citizen. He is filing two I-130 forms separately for me and my son, his stepson, a twelve-year-old boy. After submitting I-130 forms, we also need to file I-485 for two.

Instruction :The filing fee for Form I-485 is $1,140. If you are 13 years of age or younger and: 1. Are filing with a parent’s Form I-485, the filing fee for Form I-485 is $750; 

When we put two I-485 forms into the package filling together, can we save some money? Only pay $750 for the boy? We appreciate your help! 

*** Moved from Bringing Family of USC forum to AOS from Work/Student/Tourist Visas forum ***

32 minutes ago, Anne2009 said:

When we put two I-485 forms into the package filling together, can we save some money? Only pay $750 for the boy?

Assuming concurrent filing, there should be 4 separate checks for you and your son's AOS --

I-130 for you -- $535

I-130 for your son -- $535

I-485 for you -- $1,225

I-485 for your son -- $750

https://www.uscis.gov/feecalculator

Strongly recommend filing I-765 and I-131 as well for you and your son.  Fee for both forms is waived if filed with I-485.

27 minutes ago, Anne2009 said:

I don't think my son need I-765 since he is only twelve-year-old.

Does your son have SSN?  If not, file I-765 so he can get SSN before getting his GC.  If your son does not get SSN before the 2022 tax filing deadline, you and your husband will not be able to claim him on your taxes.

Edited by Chancy
typo

1 hour ago, Anne2009 said:

Thank you so much, Chancy. It is very helpful. I don't think my son need I-765 since he is only twelve-year-old. Can he just file i-131? It may be needed for travel during the case is pending. 

Your son might need the I-765 for other purposes such as showing status, getting a non driver state ID, getting SSN. Why not just have it if it’s free? 

Edited by powerpuff

Thank you, Chancy and Powerpuff. Yes, he does not have SSN yet. We have applied his ITIN number with 2021 tax return together this year. We did not receive ITIN number from the IRS yet. When he has SSN, the ITIN number would be void? I have no clue about this. Anyway, I will apply SSN for him as you said, thank you again.

27 minutes ago, Anne2009 said:

When he has SSN, the ITIN number would be void?

If he gets ITIN and later gets SSN, you should notify the IRS.  IRS will void the ITIN then.  Details here (under Q20) -- https://www.irs.gov/individuals/itin-expiration-faqs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.