TBoneTX

US Embassy in Russia Warns Americans to Flee 'Immediately'

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The U.S. Embassy in Russia advised Americans in the country to flee "immediately" while there remains the ability to do so. 

"Russia may refuse to acknowledge dual nationals' U.S. citizenship, deny their access to U.S. consular assistance, prevent their departure from Russia, and conscript dual nationals for military service," the embassy warned in a security bulletin Tuesday after the Russian government announced last week it would begin mobilizing its citizens to the armed forces in its war effort against Ukraine.  [...]

Continues here:

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2022/09/28/us-embassy-in-russia-tells-americans-to-flee-immediately-n2613699

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, TBoneTX said:

The U.S. Embassy in Russia advised Americans in the country to flee "immediately" while there remains the ability to do so. 

"Russia may refuse to acknowledge dual nationals' U.S. citizenship, deny their access to U.S. consular assistance, prevent their departure from Russia, and conscript dual nationals for military service," the embassy warned in a security bulletin Tuesday after the Russian government announced last week it would begin mobilizing its citizens to the armed forces in its war effort against Ukraine.  [...]

Continues here:

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2022/09/28/us-embassy-in-russia-tells-americans-to-flee-immediately-n2613699

Gotta wonder why, at this point, people would still be trying to stick it out unless they really had no regard for following common sense advice. I can understand over the summer folks being comfortable enough to do a trip in-and-out over a week or two, but given the changes at the border, etc... 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
10 hours ago, Simplytex said:

Gotta wonder why, at this point, people would still be trying to stick it out unless they really had no regard for following common sense advice. I can understand over the summer folks being comfortable enough to do a trip in-and-out over a week or two, but given the changes at the border, etc... 

Some people have family obligations.

Timeline
12 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Continues here:

USCIS expedite option when? 😛

And in all seriousness, it's not a "may" but a clearly printed policy in Russian legal documents. Dual nationals carry same obligations as those without second citizenship. This has been law for years.

Edited by Lynxyonok

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
4 hours ago, Lynxyonok said:

Some people have family obligations.

Don't get me wrong, I do sympathize and understand there's a ton of reasons to stay, but at the same time if you stay and get conscripted then that's no better than leaving and being safe. 

But yeah like you said... Expedite when?

So, flee the country, but in order for your spouse to get an EU visa to attend an interview in Poland, a country where Russian tourists are also now banned, your spouse will need to spend 2-3 months waiting in said dangerous country for an EU visa to another EU country in order for the chance to cross the Schengen border later, and then after this is processed, they'll somehow need to make it out of Russia in time despite the fact that all the country exits and airplane tickets are now completely flooded or sold out by people fleeing after the draft and now annexation announcements. 

Oh, and by the way, no country will accept transfers of your case. P.S. hope you got a western vaccine somehow. P.P.S hope you didn't have even the slightest error in your docs otherwise you'll have to deal with this mess x100 including lots of time and $$$. Good luck sustaining a healthy relationship in this situation and thanks for your understanding during these difficult times!

OK

Edited by Marklor

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Gosh...

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
10 hours ago, Marklor said:

So, flee the country, but in order for your spouse to get an EU visa to attend an interview in Poland, a country where Russian tourists are also now banned, your spouse will need to spend 2-3 months waiting in said dangerous country for an EU visa to another EU country in order for the chance to cross the Schengen border later, and then after this is processed, they'll somehow need to make it out of Russia in time despite the fact that all the country exits and airplane tickets are now completely flooded or sold out by people fleeing after the draft and now annexation announcements. 

Oh, and by the way, no country will accept transfers of your case. P.S. hope you got a western vaccine somehow. P.P.S hope you didn't have even the slightest error in your docs otherwise you'll have to deal with this mess x100 including lots of time and $$$. Good luck sustaining a healthy relationship in this situation and thanks for your understanding during these difficult times!

OK

That's a great summary. I will sign under every word.

Now let's make lemonade.

Shared trauma like this makes for ironclad couples. Those who do anything to avoid repeating this process. Those who would stand by their special other until the end.

So, flee the country,

Why flee the country? It is not illegal to be in Russia. You could say it's dangerous, but so is anywhere else. I've been in Russia for roughly two years and have never experienced or seen any crimes aside from graffiti or littering. Also, living is more affordable than other places that have been hit with inflation and shortages of necessary essentials such as gas, water, and electricity. 

Anyway, this is about visas like someone else said.

but in order for your spouse to get an EU visa to attend an interview in Poland, a country where Russian tourists are also now banned, your spouse will need to spend 2-3 months waiting in said dangerous country for an EU visa to another EU country in order for the chance to cross the Schengen border later, and then after this is processed, they'll somehow need to make it out of Russia in time despite the fact that all the country exits and airplane tickets are now completely flooded or sold out by people fleeing after the draft and now annexation announcements. 

Yes, the situation is bleak and the options are slim. Should my business pick up, relocating to somewhere like Mexico or Thailand wouldn't be a bad idea — especially during winter. 

The change for Russian tourists in Poland was also not new. Russians were denied entry for a Schengen visa as of several months ago or longer. The change was simply an update that got extra coverage from certain media outlets. 

And yes, I agree the process is insanely inconvenient. First, we don't have any idea when the interview will be. Second, when we do know about the interview, it could be a few weeks ago. This is of course barely enough time to get a Schengen Visa. This is assuming getting a Schengen visa is even possible when the time comes. 

There are flights leaving daily. The only times it's "impossible" or overpriced to leave is when there's an announcement. This is happened for less than a week since February. I've been keeping an eye on the prices and trends. You can literally go on Google Flights now and see dozens of flights to several countries. Crossing a country by land is also an option. So, yes, it is more difficult to leave, but not impossible and not as "catastrophic" as the news portrays.

I realize no country will accept a transfer. Hence why I'm disappointed in this process that we started over a year ago.

P.S. hope you got a western vaccine somehow.

No western vaccine and no plans of getting one. It's not necessary.

P.P.S hope you didn't have even the slightest error in your docs otherwise you'll have to deal with this mess x100 including lots of time and $$$.

I also have dealt with the doc errors. It happened twice. The first time was my fault. I mislabeled a doc. It took 3 months for them to review again. The second time was their fault. They asked for a doc I already submitted. I submitted the same doc and it was approved. After 3 more months of waiting for a review.

Good luck sustaining a healthy relationship in this situation and thanks for your understanding during these difficult times!

Thanks.

The process has been challenging and it's made our relationship stronger. My experiences with Russians is they're very practical people. We're making the best of it and enjoying our life. We will likely have a baby soon since we're looking at 1-2 more years of waiting. Fortunately, I'm able to work online and keep the income coming in (even though it would be better if the USD-RUB conversion was better).

Edited by smoothoperaytor

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
8 hours ago, smoothoperaytor said:

No western vaccine and no plans of getting one. It's not necessary.

I'm only nitpicking here for the benefit of others, but non-immigrant travelers to the US (including K1) must have a WHO-approved vaccine. The rule is heavily outdated, but from my understanding there's currently no rush to change it within this Admin. There is an exemption for countries that don't have the vaccine, but "lol!", Russia and Belarus aren't on it.

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

15 hours ago, slavaskii said:

I'm only nitpicking here for the benefit of others, but non-immigrant travelers to the US (including K1) must have a WHO-approved vaccine. The rule is heavily outdated, but from my understanding there's currently no rush to change it within this Admin. There is an exemption for countries that don't have the vaccine, but "lol!", Russia and Belarus aren't on it.

I didn't think that was an issue for a CR-1 marriage visa. I'll have to check again when and if the time comes.

Timeline
23 hours ago, slavaskii said:

I believe it's the opposite. Tourists don't need it, but fiancées do. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
9 hours ago, smoothoperaytor said:

I didn't think that was an issue for a CR-1 marriage visa. I'll have to check again when and if the time comes.

1 hour ago, Lynxyonok said:

I believe it's the opposite. Tourists don't need it, but fiancées do. 

According to the CDC's website, all non-immigrants who don't meet an exemption category must have a WHO-approved vaccine. So for @smoothoperaytor, your wife would be exempt because of the CR-1. And for @Lynxyonok, B1/2 holders are exempt only if their country has been designated as having limited availability - Belarus/Russia not being on that list, ironically. That latter point is why I continue to say this is a de facto ban.

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.