Annie280

Interview coming up - any tips? suggestions?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi everyone! My husbands interview is coming up in  a few weeks. Any tips? We have all original docs in one folder, and a binder of copies. I also printed photos and have airline tickets from previous flights I've taken to Morocco. I just want to make sure I cover all bases. Can I attend the interview with him? I am so nervous! We go through so much just for this one day, it is hard not to panic lol. We have gone over a handful of questions and we know eachother very well so I am not worried about the questions - but I did hear that they make it tricky and can be intimidating 

If we get approved, I might have additional questions on what to expect at the airport in Casa and arrival at JFK because I have absolutely no idea what that looks like :( appreciate all of you!

Edited by Annie280
didn't complete sentence

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread is moved from General Immigration Discussion to the Embassy/Consulate forum. ***

---

Casablanca is indeed a tough consulate.  Whether you're allowed in the interview or not, it's very prudent that you be on or around the premises.  You can loan your U.S. passport to your husband so that he can show it to the Foreign Service National who initially takes the documents, and then to the interviewing CO.

When the USC is on the premises, it not only affords emotional support to the beneficiary; it also enables the CO to call the USC in to answer any questions.  This can resolve issues that would otherwise result in a 221g and the consequent delays.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
5 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

*** Thread is moved from General Immigration Discussion to the Embassy/Consulate forum. ***

---

Casablanca is indeed a tough consulate.  Whether you're allowed in the interview or not, it's very prudent that you be on or around the premises.  You can loan your U.S. passport to your husband so that he can show it to the Foreign Service National who initially takes the documents, and then to the interviewing CO.

When the USC is on the premises, it not only affords emotional support to the beneficiary; it also enables the CO to call the USC in to answer any questions.  This can resolve issues that would otherwise result in a 221g and the consequent delays.

This is super helpful, thank you! I was just going to sit at a local cafe just in case, but this is great advice - thank you oh so much!!

35 minutes ago, Annie280 said:

My husbands interview is coming up in  a few weeks. Any tips?

Check the consulate reviews for ideas on what to expect at a spouse visa interview at Casablanca -- https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?trim=no&cty=&cnty=Morocco&page=1&dfilter=5&topic=IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Annie280 said:

this is great advice

You're welcome. :) 

Mrs. T-B.-to-be and I were indescribably hosed when I didn't consider it necessary to be there for her interview, so I'm glad that the advice helps you.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

you will not be allowed into the embassy /  not even to a waiting room

but more than  likely be asked when "when you visited last"  and he can say "she is right outside" 

not sure if the little cafe across the street is still open for you to wait in

important things are "do u have any red flags?"

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/red-flags-that-make-uscis-suspect-marriage-fraud.html

How much time have you been together?

Do u have the approval of the Moroccan family especially the mother?

Does he have a plan for work or study in the USA?

they will probably not look at any of the additional evidence but the CO will note he has bought it 

At JFK they allowed others with CR1 visa to enter with the USC in citizen line/ not a difficult airport for POE

allah yessir

Edited by JeanneAdil

Timeline
21 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

you will not be allowed into the embassy /  not even to a waiting room

but more than  likely be asked when "when you visited last"  and he can say "she is right outside" 

not sure if the little cafe across the street is still open for you to wait in

important things are "do u have any red flags?"

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/red-flags-that-make-uscis-suspect-marriage-fraud.html

How much time have you been together?

Do u have the approval of the Moroccan family especially the mother?

Does he have a plan for work or study in the USA?

they will probably not look at any of the additional evidence but the CO will note he has bought it 

At JFK they allowed others with CR1 visa to enter with the USC in citizen line/ not a difficult airport for POE

allah yessir

Thank you!!! I am 10 years older than him :( but to be fair, I don't look my age at all (not to toot my own horn lol but I take good care of myself). That is the only red flag I see. He has already reached out to potential clients here in the states so he will be setup for work. I think we will be good with these questions! I love his mom and it's mutual ❤️ this scares me though. It's kind of like when a cop is behind me and I feel like I did something wrong (even though I didn't) lol. I just feel like we have been waiting for this for 4 years and they hold the key. Anyway - thank you for this info. Much appreciated!!

24 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

I can confirm this for K1 as well.   I just came thru JFK International a few weeks ago and told the officer than I would be coming in the Spring with K1 fiancé. He said we can go together in US citizen line and she would be taken to secondary for a few quick questions and then we'd be on our way.  I didn't correct the gender assumption.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Annie280 said:

Thank you!!! I am 10 years older than him :( but to be fair, I don't look my age at all (not to toot my own horn lol but I take good care of myself). That is the only red flag I see. He has already reached out to potential clients here in the states so he will be setup for work. I think we will be good with these questions! I love his mom and it's mutual ❤️ this scares me though. It's kind of like when a cop is behind me and I feel like I did something wrong (even though I didn't) lol. I just feel like we have been waiting for this for 4 years and they hold the key. Anyway - thank you for this info. Much appreciated!!

not a red flag to check the work possibilities

and 10 years difference  , CO approved, so la mochkila (means no problem)

Timeline
2 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

not a red flag to check the work possibilities

and 10 years difference  , CO approved, so la mochkila (means no problem)

Phew! Thank you so much!

3 hours ago, Nuba said:

I can confirm this for K1 as well.   I just came thru JFK International a few weeks ago and told the officer than I would be coming in the Spring with K1 fiancé. He said we can go together in US citizen line and she would be taken to secondary for a few quick questions and then we'd be on our way.  I didn't correct the gender assumption.

This is good to know, I was nervous about that. I of course want to be there for him throughout the process if I can. This is a big deal! ❤️ Ty!!

12 hours ago, Annie280 said:

Hi everyone! My husbands interview is coming up in  a few weeks. Any tips? We have all original docs in one folder, and a binder of copies. I also printed photos and have airline tickets from previous flights I've taken to Morocco. I just want to make sure I cover all bases. Can I attend the interview with him? I am so nervous! We go through so much just for this one day, it is hard not to panic lol. We have gone over a handful of questions and we know eachother very well so I am not worried about the questions - but I did hear that they make it tricky and can be intimidating 

If we get approved, I might have additional questions on what to expect at the airport in Casa and arrival at JFK because I have absolutely no idea what that looks like :( appreciate all of you!

Our tip is to just make sure that your husband advocates for himself! In our case, the consular officer didn’t have everything we submitted on file, which might have worked against us if my husband hadn’t politely asked to explain more about our situation and present additional evidence. For example, some of the financial documents didn’t transfer over, and the consular officer started to say that we didn’t qualify. My husband politely said “May I please explain?” And then he presented our documents that proved that we did, in fact, qualify. My husband says to be active and engaging, and be prepared to answer any questions. Above all, just be truthful. 

I wasn’t allowed to attend the interview due to covid restrictions. If you are currently staying with your husband, I’d have him bring your passport in with him. My husband brought mine because he had a feeling that he’d be asked about it, and don’t ya know, the consular officer did indeed ask if he had it with him.

Best of luck to both of you! I’m sure it will be just fine! 

14 hours ago, Annie280 said:

It's kind of like when a cop is behind me and I feel like I did something wrong (even though I didn't) lol. I just feel like we have been waiting for this for 4 years and they hold the key. Anyway - thank you for this info. Much appreciated!!

Yes, it does feel like we did something wrong and are being questioned, even though we didn't!

My interview is coming up in 3 weeks as well, I am sooo nervous too! 

Good luck to you! And please come back and update how it was, I really do enjoy reading success stories. 

Timeline
6 hours ago, Mel.King said:

Yes, it does feel like we did something wrong and are being questioned, even though we didn't!

My interview is coming up in 3 weeks as well, I am sooo nervous too! 

Good luck to you! And please come back and update how it was, I really do enjoy reading success stories. 

Thank you so much, I definitely will! Best of luck to you! Let us both have success stories!

Timeline

If any of you was previously married, prepare the original certificate of the previous marriage as they will ask for it, even if you submitted a divorce certificate of that marriage.

11/17/2016: Got engaged
11/28/2016: I-130 sent to Chicago IL lock box
01/12/2016: NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.