16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Driver's license law hits auto dealers

Unable to register, illegal immigrants return vehicles

By MARY LOU PICKEL

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/16/07

Jose Genao sells used cars for a living, but lately he's had to turn away customers from his Smyrna dealership.

Genao used to sell about 15 vehicles a week, mostly Ford F-150 or Silverado pickups to a Mexican clientele. Now he sells only two or three.

Jose Genao, looking over one of the cars at his dealership, says business is suffering because of a new Georgia law that affects illegal immigrants.

Half a dozen customers have returned cars because they can't register them.

"They bring the key and tell me, 'Jose, I'm leaving,' " Genao said.

Genao is feeling the fallout from a new state law, effective July 1, that requires a valid Georgia driver's license or ID card to register a car in Georgia.

The law is cutting deep into traffic for many auto dealers and tag and title services catering to the state's growing immigrant community. Illegal immigrants can't get driver's licenses because to do so, they must prove they're in the country legally.

The law also has the potential to cut into sales taxes and county ad valorem tax revenues, though metro area counties say it's too early to measure that effect.

The bill's sponsor, Sen. Chip Rogers (R-Woodstock) said he did not target immigrants.

"Yes, this will impact people who are here illegally, but my biggest focus is public safety," he said.

"If [car dealers and tag services] have built their business on people who are here illegally, I'm sorry, but at some point they had to realize that was not going to continue," Rogers said.

The license plate law closes a window that gave motorists 30 days to get Georgia driver's licenses after moving to the state. In the interim, a driver could register a car with an out-of-state or international license.

Also effective July 1 was a separate, 2006 law requiring increased verification of legal status in Georgia for a variety of other purposes, including to work in some jobs or qualify for welfare.

While no one knows how many illegal immigrants are in Georgia, a government estimate put the number around 470,000. Nationally, most illegal immigrants are from Mexico, followed by El Salvador, Guatemala, India and China, according to a 2005 Department of Homeland Security report.

Genao, 34, has a green card and has lived in the United States eight years. If business doesn't pick up, he might return to his native Dominican Republic to tend to a car dealership there.

"If they don't do something, a lot of businesses are going to close," he said.

Tony Brooks, an insurance agent who caters to the Hispanic community in Marietta, said business for his tag and title service has dropped off about 80 percent since the law went into effect.

"It's definitely slowing things down, that's for sure," Brooks said.

He's had to turn away 30 to 40 people wanting tags in the last two weeks because they don't have Georgia driver's licenses.

His main business is auto insurance, which hasn't suffered, but he's worried immigrant customers won't buy insurance either if they can't register their cars.

Cobb County's tag offices have seen a "significant decrease" in the volume of applications submitted by tag and title services in the last two weeks, said Stewart Manley, manager of Cobb County's tag offices.

The county has also turned away about 40 people per day, Manley said, out of an average 1,900 customers served daily. Some are people who have moved from other states and don't have Georgia driver's licenses yet, Manley said. "They're complaining mildly," he said.

Tax collectors in Cobb, Gwinnett and DeKalb said it is too early to tell how the new license plate law would affect tax collection.

"You really won't see the effect economically for six months," said Brent Bennett, director of vehicle registrations for DeKalb County.

Loopholes exist even with the new law.

An illegal immigrant can still mail in a tag renewal or go online and avoid the need to show a driver's license.

That's what Raul Hernandez plans to do. He is an illegal immigrant from Mexico who came here legally but overstayed his visa and so has a Georgia driver's license. He doesn't have to worry about the tag problem, but his friends do.

"People have asked me to get tags for them in my name. Right now I said 'No, it's not worth the risk. If they get tickets, they'll be sent to me,' " he said in Spanish.

"Right now people are scared, but it will settle down and go back to normal," Hernandez predicted.

Isaias Zavala, 33, an illegal immigrant from Mexico who works construction, said he has no license but his wife does, so he registers their car through her. Still, he worries because he has to drive to work.

"This all seems very bad to me," he said in Spanish of the new law.

Perimeter Insurance Agency used to process 25 tags per week in one Cobb County location. Since July 1, they've done only three renewals, said Jose Mendez, part owner of the business.

His co-owner, Rick Craddock, said he appreciates his immigrant customers.

"We love these people," Craddock said.

But he acknowledges there is a problem with illegal immigration. "We have to secure the border and slow the influx," he said. "The solution is not to kick out all the people who are already here."

www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2007/07/15/tags_0716.html <http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2007/07/15/tags_0716.html>

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

"If [car dealers and tag services] have built their business on people who are here illegally, I'm sorry, but at some point they had to realize that was not going to continue," Rogers said.

Sounds like a step in the right direction :thumbs:

10Yr GC arrived 07/02/09 - Naturalization is next

The drama begins - again!

And now the drama ends - they took the Green card . . .

In Illinois you have to prove you have insurance before you can register a car. It would have the same effect as I would think it would be hard for an illegal to get insurance. I am not in favor of anything that makes it easy for an illegal to do anything here. If they don't like it then they know where the border is.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
I have a solution: don't take them back.

You bought it, it's yours :P

I don't think most insurance are ever aware of legal status. In fact, my husband is covered on our policy with his Brazilian driver's license.

oops! I didn't mean to quote anyone!

By MARY LOU PICKEL

Jose Genao sells used cars for a living, but lately he's had to turn away customers from his Smyrna dealership.

Genao used to sell about 15 vehicles a week, mostly Ford F-150 or Silverado pickups to a Mexican clientele. Now he sells only two or three.

Jose Genao, looking over one of the cars at his dealership, says business is suffering because of a new Georgia law that affects illegal immigrants.

Genao is feeling the fallout from a new state law, effective July 1, that requires a valid Georgia driver's license or ID card to register a car in Georgia....

That is a very chopfrack non-solution to illegal immigration. It also has a negative effect on legal migrants who may need a car.

A good example would be if someone moved from NYC (where they did not own a car--due to no place to park it, good public transport, ...) to Atlanta where a car is practically a necessity (there are considerable portions of Fulton and Dekalb where MARTA doesn't go). If this person buys a car within 2 days of arrival, does this law mean that it will be impossible to register till the licence is changed over?

Or a student/tempworker just come in from Canada who needs to buy/register a clunker for transport? It is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to get Canadian registration on a GA-bought car.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

By MARY LOU PICKEL

Genao is feeling the fallout from a new state law, effective July 1, that requires a valid Georgia driver's license or ID card to register a car in Georgia....

That is a very chopfrack non-solution to illegal immigration. It also has a negative effect on legal migrants who may need a car.

A good example would be if someone moved from NYC (where they did not own a car--due to no place to park it, good public transport, ...) to Atlanta where a car is practically a necessity (there are considerable portions of Fulton and Dekalb where MARTA doesn't go). If this person buys a car within 2 days of arrival, does this law mean that it will be impossible to register till the licence is changed over?

Or a student/tempworker just come in from Canada who needs to buy/register a clunker for transport? It is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to get Canadian registration on a GA-bought car.

Seems like it would be a good idea to get your new DL or ID card first, seems like its easy enough to do if you can prove you are in US legally according to MVD Georgia:

http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata.aspx?...71757&ty=dl

Its not just illegals that this affects.

In Pennsylvania they have a law that says you need to have an I-94 valid for more than 12 months to get a DL, trouble is a lot of people come here on 1 year visas. They can get insurance, and drive on a international license for that year, but they can't buy a car because a PA license is needed to register it.

I know someone affected by this, she got around it by having her (US) friend officially own the car.

Timeline
"This all seems very bad to me," he said in Spanish of the new law.

pssst, it's supposed to! :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Its not just illegals that this affects.

In Pennsylvania they have a law that says you need to have an I-94 valid for more than 12 months to get a DL, trouble is a lot of people come here on 1 year visas. They can get insurance, and drive on a international license for that year, but they can't buy a car because a PA license is needed to register it.

I know someone affected by this, she got around it by having her (US) friend officially own the car.

A lot of times their focus is so narrow that they (regulation and law makers) don't think it through enough to cover some of us that are trying to do things correctly. It is a shame.

Edited by isleta521

Arizona has passed some laws that require proving legal status in the USA...Olga had to prove that she was here legally to continue her English class, I was worried about that since we were still waiting on her AoS and only had the notice of action that it was being processed...it was enough :)

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline
Oh well...tough titties.

I am rather happy about this law...hopefully it will spread to other areas...

Feb. 16-Sent 129F to TSC.

Feb. 27-NOA1, received CSC.

Mar. 27-Found VJ, and became disappointed for not being able to use VSC.

Mar. 27-Applied for military expedite and got congressional help.

Mar. 28-touched.

Mar. 29-touched again.

Mar. 30-touched yet again.

Apr. 04-touched another time.

Apr. 05-touched some more.

May 15-touched once again.

May 15-NOA2. 78 days...WOW!!!

May 16-touched???(mail to NVC???).

May 18-Received Hard Copy NOA2.

May 21-NVC receives case!!!

May 23-NVC sends to Seoul!!!

Jun 04-Embassy receives case!!!

Jun 06-Receive Packet 3.

Jun 08-Receive Packet 4.

Jul 06-Interview.

Jul 06-APPROVED VISA

Aug 02-Arrived in US

Oct 29-Married

Soon, real soon for AOS, AP and EAD...just need time from the Army to do it with...

aW1hZ2UucGhwPzQ0Jk5PQTErcmVjZWl2ZWQuLi4mMDAwMDAwJjAwMDAwMCYxNSYxMiZjJjAmMjYmMiYyMDA3JjIwJjImNjU4ODk3MDAxMTc2OTc4Mzk1Lic=.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

In Oregon you have to have a social security number and an Oregon drivers licence to be able to buy a car. The dealer had to put the sale of my Jeep in my wife's name as I didn't have my drivers licence then was still using my UK one.

I assume it has a lot to do with no sales tax in Oregon so stops people from out of state getting their cars without paying sales tax in their home State. Of course when I got my licence Oregon also got extra money for the fee to change the registration into my name.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Is Jose legal or illegal? :devil:

Edited by CarolsMarc

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow