2,974 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 8/22/2023 at 9:33 PM, Gratefulone said:

I submitted my medical 55 days ago and back to silence.  Anyone in New York submitted medical and waiting?

It is 90-120 days for them to process a RFE

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
2 hours ago, Priya25 said:

Hello Family, I am very confused what to do, a week back I received a notification on I-485 that they have updated my name (I had not requested for any name change/update). I did some research and found that they do update name/address internally sometimes to match the documents so there is nothing to worry.

I had submitted an congressmen enquiry to check on my address update (as USCIS was sending documents on my old address even after I submitted application for address change) , so I assumed may be its an address update.

Today I received and RFE on my I-485 for birth certificate which i already submitted while filling the form, so not sure why are they asking it again. I also noticed that my name is now updated (I have only one name so all my forms had FNU as my first name till now but this RFE said my name in First and Last name).

Do you think this is going to mess up my process?

Second question is I received the RFE on Orange color paper does that mean anything?

what should I do please advise.

Send them what they requested. 

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

3 hours ago, Priya25 said:

Hello Family, I am very confused what to do, a week back I received a notification on I-485 that they have updated my name (I had not requested for any name change/update). I did some research and found that they do update name/address internally sometimes to match the documents so there is nothing to worry.

I had submitted an congressmen enquiry to check on my address update (as USCIS was sending documents on my old address even after I submitted application for address change) , so I assumed may be its an address update.

Today I received and RFE on my I-485 for birth certificate which i already submitted while filling the form, so not sure why are they asking it again. I also noticed that my name is now updated (I have only one name so all my forms had FNU as my first name till now but this RFE said my name in First and Last name).

Second question is I received the RFE on Orange color paper does that mean anything?

The problem of the first and last name will easily be fixed after sending your birth certificate along with an explanatory letter.

Don't delay your process by saying that you had already sent a birth certificate.

Just resend it. if not, your case will be denied in the base of not sending the document requested .

9 hours ago, Priya25 said:

I agree with @Rhema1

May be that's why they are asking you to send the birth certificate to verify the name again. Or they might have misplaced the old one. 

So just send them what they asked you to send. 

7 hours ago, Pinkrlion said:

Send them what they requested. 

7 hours ago, Rhema1 said:

The problem of the first and last name will easily be fixed after sending your birth certificate along with an explanatory letter.

Don't delay your process by saying that you had already sent a birth certificate.

Just resend it. if not, your case will be denied in the base of not sending the document requested .

43 minutes ago, balo101 said:

I agree with @Rhema1

May be that's why they are asking you to send the birth certificate to verify the name again. Or they might have misplaced the old one. 

So just send them what they asked you to send. 

I am about to send the birth certificate irrespective. In the explanatory  letter should I mention that I have only one name and I have not requested for name update?

10 hours ago, Priya25 said:

Been seeing those a lot with DACA applications. My guess is that they have to do something with an application they took out of a queue to put it back and updated name/address is the least intrusive of the options given if confusing to the applicant.

Edited by Demise

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

22 minutes ago, Priya25 said:

I am about to send the birth certificate irrespective. In the explanatory  letter should I mention that I have only one name and I have not requested for name update?

Yes do explain one name only is common in your country of origin and also add your passport as evidence. 
The RFE is likely because of using FNU on forms . That is usually a USCIS designation after an applicant marks either None or leaves the field blank. 

44 minutes ago, Demise said:

Been seeing those a lot with DACA applications. My guess is that they have to do something with an application they took out of a queue to put it back and updated name/address is the least intrusive of the options given if confusing to the applicant.

I am confused as all my prior documents now including C31 card and C09 Combo EAD has my first name as "No first name" and now they have updated it with my last name as my first name I am confused if I should renew my EAD (which is nearing expiry) with which name ? Shall I go with "no first name" as it holds in current EAD or I should go with the updated name? In my prior experience they need to match the name with the receipt number in order to look up the application. I don't know what should I do. If I should ask them to update it or leave it as is. Have anyone been through this scenario.

I think I know what has happened, when I was submitting the enquiry with the congress person they asked me to use my only name in both first and last name and after that enquiry USCIS have updated my name. I am so confused now.

Edited by Priya25
Additional detail

3 hours ago, Priya25 said:

I am confused as all my prior documents now including C31 card and C09 Combo EAD has my first name as "No first name" and now they have updated it with my last name as my first name I am confused if I should renew my EAD (which is nearing expiry) with which name ? Shall I go with "no first name" as it holds in current EAD or I should go with the updated name? In my prior experience they need to match the name with the receipt number in order to look up the application. I don't know what should I do. If I should ask them to update it or leave it as is. Have anyone been through this scenario.

I think I know what has happened, when I was submitting the enquiry with the congress person they asked me to use my only name in both first and last name and after that enquiry USCIS have updated my name. I am so confused now.

That's why they are asking for your birth certificate in other to confirm your last name or first name if any 

Always go according to what is written in your birth certificate for now until you become a US citizen where you can update or change everything.

Edited by Rhema1

5 hours ago, Priya25 said:

Your part in filling out forms should be consistent and the same . State you have No First Name , show your passport and first EAD
It will be a bit more challenging because it’s unusual in the US and varied systems ( congressman, doctor , DMV, bank..) all require some input for first name. ..so you will pick up lots of unintended aliases .

Bur don’t worry…as long as you keep getting approvals /renewals..let them call you as they wish.

TBoneTX
This post was recognized by TBoneTX!

"A "Great Support" badge is awarded to Rhema for being so consistently patient and helpful."

Rhema1 was awarded the badge 'Great Support'

13 hours ago, Family said:

Your part in filling out forms should be consistent and the same . State you have No First Name , show your passport and first EAD
It will be a bit more challenging because it’s unusual in the US and varied systems ( congressman, doctor , DMV, bank..) all require some input for first name. ..so you will pick up lots of unintended aliases .

Bur don’t worry…as long as you keep getting approvals /renewals..let them call you as they wish.

I see that the congressperson was right because most inputs require the a first name in other to process.

If not, you can't send anything for the process to be completed.

In most of these cases, The last name is often used in place of the name.

But in government forms filings, this should always reflect what is on your birth certificate.

So using the first name the same as  last name can be okay for inputs. This situation will definitely be resolved with citizenship because you are allowed to add or change names.

4 hours ago, Rhema1 said:

I see that the congressperson was right because most inputs require the a first name in other to process.

If not, you can't send anything for the process to be completed.

In most of these cases, The last name is often used in place of the name.

But in government forms filings, this should always reflect what is on your birth certificate.

So using the first name the same as  last name can be okay for inputs. This situation will definitely be resolved with citizenship because you are allowed to add or change names.

Thank you 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

See Rhema1's post just above to see her new VJ badge for being so consistently supportive of everyone.  :) 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

21 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

See Rhema1's post just above to see her new VJ badge for being so consistently supportive of everyone.  :) 

Well deserved.

So many people left after getting their green card. However @Rhema1 still here contributing to this thread and helping vawa community. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
2 hours ago, balo101 said:

However @Rhema1 still here contributing to this thread

Usually also by upvoting Official and Semiofficial Jokes, too!  :P 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.