Dashinka

WATCH: Family’s road trip delayed when electric Ford Lightning truck needs a tow

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
56 minutes ago, LIBrty4all said:

All this BS about EVs and charging is tiresome.

There is an unfollow button 

As @Dashinka said, EVs have existed for nearly as long as ICE vehicles have.

Longer actually. 

There is a REASON why they are still only 1% of the vehicles on the road in 2022.  130 years of "technology advancements" for a whole 1%.  Think about that.

Means nothing.  There was a time when 1 percent of Americans used the Internet, 1 percent of phone calls went over the Internet, 1 percent had a home computer, 1 percent had a mobile phone, 1 percent had video phones, 1 percent a personal motor vehicle, 1 percent had a landline, 1  percent had electricity, 1 percent had internal plumbing,  1 percent rode airplanes,  etc.   In hindsight, looking at the trend lines years prior to reaching those milestones it was obvious the majority of the public would have these things. 

EVs are for people with a lot of disposable income.

I had broad band to my house in 1996 and it cost over $1000 a month.  Now I have something 4000 times faster for $100 a month. 

If you have it, you don't qualify for the tax rebates.

My 2017 tax return disagrees but the rebates are noise anyway.  

If you don't have it (cannot afford the vehicle) you are entitled to it, and MIGHT be suckered into paying more for a vehicle than you should. But either way, it's just excess cash thrown away for the promise of "saving money".  Which you won't do.

People didn’t move to cars with automatic transmissions to save money. Indeed it costs more to make the car that way and is less fuel efficient. They moved to automatic transmissions because it makes the car better. 

Is it really so hard to understand?  It's no different than owning a Porsche, Lamborghini, Maserati, Aston Martin, etc.

It’s quite a bit different than a Lambo.  A $150K EV out performs  the super cars and costs 1/5 th as much. 

Some can, and choose to.  Many cannot, and only dream.  Others can, but choose not to.

I don’t get sentimental or angry about obsolete technology. Charging at home makes my life more convenient. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

There is an unfollow button 

Longer actually. 

Means nothing.  There was a time when 1 percent of Americans used the Internet, 1 percent of phone calls went over the Internet, 1 percent had a home computer, 1 percent had a mobile phone, 1 percent had video phones, 1 percent a personal motor vehicle, 1 percent had a landline, 1  percent had electricity, 1 percent had internal plumbing,  1 percent rode airplanes,  etc.   In hindsight, looking at the trend lines years prior to reaching those milestones it was obvious the majority of the public would have these things. 

I had broad band to my house in 1996 and it cost over $1000 a month.  Now I have something 4000 times faster for $100 a month. 

My 2017 tax return disagrees but the rebates are noise anyway.  

People didn’t move to cars with automatic transmissions to save money. Indeed it costs more to make the car that way and is less fuel efficient. They moved to automatic transmissions because it makes the car better. 

It’s quite a bit different than a Lambo.  A $150K EV out performs  the super cars and costs 1/5 th as much. 

I don’t get sentimental or angry about obsolete technology. Charging at home makes my life more convenient. 

Never used it in all my years here.  Don't block other users, either, though many snowflakes do.

Perhaps.  But not efficiently.  And the support/technology has severely lagged ICE for over a hundred years.

Means a lot actually.  When the mark hits the 50% mark, we may see things change swiftly.  I know you know better than to try and argue the "everything was 1% at one point" thing with me.

Back up your 1996 "broadband" claim.  Broadband?  Define it, please.

I was using the "internet" in 1990/91, and it sure wasn't at home.

2017 was a different time.  Try and get a rebate today.  You cannot, period.  It's only for the po' folk who cannot actually AFFORD an EV.

Auto transmissions made life SIMPLER.  And they are now the norm.  Not sure how their cost compares to manuals, cuz the latter are so rare today.

I bet a 2017 Porsche will at first lag you in the 1/4,1/2, and perhaps even the mile.  But then it will slowly walk up on you, leave you in the RVM, and do so at a cost of less than $100k.  Consider that a "EV supercar" will cost you $2.5-3.6 MILLION, I don't think any of the "ICE supercars" have anything to worry about.  Hell, even the 911 is faster than an S, and cheaper to boot.  Even the cheaper Panamera, at less than $100k, tops the Model S 140 by about 28 mph.  Upgrade that to the Panamera 4, and you will see 183, and it will only set you back about $107k.  Still cheaper than the S.  Faster.  And... no $20k battery replacement in 10 years.

I know you probably know all of this better than I, but since you failed to leave out a few small details, I figured I'd respond.  Also, let's not forget that with an EV, you have to buy a new set of tires almost every year, as compared to every 5-10 years for an ICE.  Adds up over time.

Having said all of that... I appreciate your stance of owning an S for the FUN of it.  That's what it's all about. (people who say they do it for "savings", or "the environment" are lying; at least you are honest, and kudos for that!).  If I NEEDED a 2nd vehicle, I'd probably buy an EV.  But since I pay cash for my vehicles while trying to maximize my savings, EVs just aren't a wise choice for me.  Yet.  Might change in the next decade.  If it does, we can link up and have a race.  S Plaid, or Lucid Air??  Right now, Lucid blows Tesla outta the water when it comes to comfort/luxury.  Hopefully that also changes.

As to the last statement... I can refuel my ICE at any of seven stations within 1/2 mile of my home.  And if I had an EV, I wouldn't even have to pay extra for a charger, cuz I have 15/30/50A.  And the way I drive, 120v/15A would be all I need 358 days of the year.  My personal convenience comes from knowing that if I keep my truck for 10 years, it won't cost me $15k to keep it running efficiently.

Timeline

Another interesting EV story.  Kinda shocked that Tesla would do this.

Canadian Tesla owner says automaker locked him out of his car until he pays $26,000 for new battery

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/canadian-man-says-tesla-locked-out-until-changes-battery?intcmp=fb_fbn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
14 hours ago, Mike E said:

I agree that government  mandates won’t help EVs succeed and instead I think they likely will hurt EV adoption. Just let EVs win on the free market ob their merits. They will.  

If

* cars are being charged at night

* fossil fueled power plants are being shut down 

then as your earlier question about peak and off peak rates points out, there needs to be a fall back energy source when the wind isn’t blowing.  The wokes don’t like dams.  They don’t like being burning wood from forests (an actual renewable, sustainable  carbon neutral source of energy). What’s left is the least of all evils: nuclear power plants. 

The problem is the wokes don't like nuclear either.  Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing all the wokes being grouped together in one area and only given solar panels and windmills and see how that works out.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
2 hours ago, LIBrty4all said:

Another interesting EV story.  Kinda shocked that Tesla would do this.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/canadian-man-says-tesla-locked-out-until-changes-battery?intcmp=fb_fbn

Wait, I thought EVs had no issues, and particularly Tesla's.  Wasn't this the reason why Tesla said they did not need traditional dealership locations.  I live less than 4 miles from a Tesla service center, and I see Tesla's going up and down the road all the time heading there for service.  There are two Tesla service centers in MI, one in SE MI and one in SW MI, so I expect many of these drivers are spending hours driving and charging to get there.  When Tesla's were novel, and they were charging $100+ for the Roadster, Model S or Model X, they could do the personalized at home service, but anyone with half a brain could see that if Tesla was indeed planning to move into the mainstream rather than be a specialty car company, this would not be sustainable.

As to the need to get into a locked vehicle to get papers, there are ways.  

Swedish - style Fireman's Axe - 175989, Entrenching Tools at Sportsman ...

Edited by Dashinka

Timeline
On 9/16/2022 at 6:34 AM, Dashinka said:

Wait, I thought EVs had no issues, and particularly Tesla's.  Wasn't this the reason why Tesla said they did not need traditional dealership locations.  I live less than 4 miles from a Tesla service center, and I see Tesla's going up and down the road all the time heading there for service.  There are two Tesla service centers in MI, one in SE MI and one in SW MI, so I expect many of these drivers are spending hours driving and charging to get there.  When Tesla's were novel, and they were charging $100+ for the Roadster, Model S or Model X, they could do the personalized at home service, but anyone with half a brain could see that if Tesla was indeed planning to move into the mainstream rather than be a specialty car company, this would not be sustainable.

As to the need to get into a locked vehicle to get papers, there are ways.  

Swedish - style Fireman's Axe - 175989, Entrenching Tools at Sportsman ...

A little more details on this story... turns out the main battery died, then the smaller 12v batter, so the car could not be unlocked.  Tesla didn't "lock the owner out", per se.  But with an electric-only door unlocking system, with 0.2 volts....

Timeline
1 hour ago, LIBrty4all said:

A little more details on this story... turns out the main battery died, then the smaller 12v batter, so the car could not be unlocked.  Tesla didn't "lock the owner out", per se.  But with an electric-only door unlocking system, with 0.2 volts....

Never understood what was wrong with good old fashioned mechanical door mechanisms.