Bee Haitch

What to do if tb treatment is not complete before the interview?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello Visajourneys. I'm in a peculiar situation where I could not find instructions (either here on VJ forum or on uscis website or the internet in general) on how to proceed. So, I am wondering if anyone knows someone that went through something similar and could give me some insights.

Basically, I'm on tb treatment for Class A (yes, the worst, for the active tb). I got sick and started treatment here in the US. I went to my medical exam for the I-693 a few weeks ago and everything went fine except for the fact that the doctor will only sign my I-693 after I complete my tb treatment, which will happen in mid Dec.
My question is: If my interview is scheduled for before this happens (before I can have my I-693 signed) what should I do? Should I reschedule my interview? Should I go anyway, and they will let my process pending for this form and I will send it later when I have completed it? Should I contact uscis to let them know about my situation before they schedule my interview? Any thoughts? 

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Bee Haitch said:

Hello Visajourneys. I'm in a peculiar situation where I could not find instructions (either here on VJ forum or on uscis website or the internet in general) on how to proceed. So, I am wondering if anyone knows someone that went through something similar and could give me some insights.

Basically, I'm on tb treatment for Class A (yes, the worst, for the active tb). I got sick and started treatment here in the US. I went to my medical exam for the I-693 a few weeks ago and everything went fine except for the fact that the doctor will only sign my I-693 after I complete my tb treatment, which will happen in mid Dec.
My question is: If my interview is scheduled for before this happens (before I can have my I-693 signed) what should I do? Should I reschedule my interview? Should I go anyway, and they will let my process pending for this form and I will send it later when I have completed it? Should I contact uscis to let them know about my situation before they schedule my interview? Any thoughts? 

Thanks!

Wait for the interview to be scheduled. If treatment not completed, send in evidence of ongoing treatment and ask for extension appropriate to anticipated timeline .It will be granted and you will be rescheduled.

Good Luck 

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Hello again! So, latest updates: I got a RFE regarding my I-693, I have 1 month to send it. In this communication it says I can't extend this period and if this doesn't happen, my case will be denied. Besides the fact that my treatment will only finish a few days before this deadline, leaving me just a couple a days to take my treatment completeness evidences to the USCIS doctor and then send the signed I-693 (which is already risky enough to not reach the  USCIS on time) my USCIS doctor will be out that week. 

I spoke with an USCIS live chat analyst, and she said I can't get an extension and could try to talk to a immigration attorney for advice. I insisted on asking if I send evidence proving that I am still under TB treatment and for this reason I cannot meet the deadline, if this could help me to extend my time and she said I can do it but there is no guarantee I'll have a positive return.
Would anyone have anything to suggest?
Many thanks in advance :)

Your original post question is still the same …only thing different is your heightened level of stress. ..so step back , you can manage this. 

My response is still the same, send proof your treatment and civil surgeon final evaluation  requires additional time and request extension. 

This as simple as requesting doctor to give you a statement of timeframe for completion or if they refuse you show schedules of treatment and follow up exam appointment.

RFE language is standard and what is commonly referred to as boilerplate, thus it’s not targeting you and your circumstances.

There is nothing “ guaranteed “ in this process for ANYONE…but there are protocols in place that you can follow…so get to it.

The good bit is that getting an RFE for medical BEFORE an interview is scheduled indicates they want to waive interview and approve .

Timeline

Hi! Thank you for your nice response. 

Yes, you are right: at this point I'm beyond drained. And with the language they use (which I understand the point, but still consider harsh, polite but harsh), it seems like they are trying to pass a very negative message. And I get it, but still it's hard to not be affected by it, especially when you are dealing with this stress for such a long time. 

The message I got is "After all this time, all this money and everything else invested in this process, you are about to lose it all and there is nothing that can be done about it. Too bad, so sad. Next." and I know this is illogical, but that's the message I get in all their communication channels (RFE, website, live chat).. so you start to question your own rational thinking. Anyway, thank you very much for reaffirming how easy this is and that I'm not getting insane (yet).

About 'there is nothing “guaranteed“ in this process for ANYONE', yes, of course I understand and have conscience about that.I just didn't express myself well. Sorry. What I was trying to say is that the message I got from the live chat agent was "Whatever. Next." 

Regarding what you mentioned "there are protocols in place that you can follow '', I couldn't find these protocols/instructions (for non-standard circumstances) anywhere in their material, not even when I directly asked. Luckily we have this wonderful forum with wise members that are willing to help.

Also thank you for pointing out that this might be a positive situation indicating an interview waive. It helps me to regain my optimism.

So, after all this whining (thank you for your 'ears'), I have another 2 questions :) 

1. There is a 5% chance I can send the signed form on time, but because of the high risk of not being able to do it, would you consider be wiser to send the request for extension (with evidence of ongoing treatment and etc) as soon as possible; or wait to send it closer to the deadline (when my inability to send the signed form is confirmed)?
  2. Because this request for extension and the related evidences are not actual documents (so they don't need to be the originals, as I suppose) do you believe this is something I could consider send thru the website(as there is an option for it) or it's better to play safer and send it via mail? (I'm asking this because the text in this option is quite fearful - IMHO - which makes me wonder if 'Am I getting paranoid..?' or is this just 'boilerplate' communication)?  (the related image is attached bellow)

Once again, thank you so much for all the attention and suggestions you kindly shared so far and many more thanks in advance.

I'm sorry for the long text..... hopefully, it will be the last.

Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving to you and your family! :D 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vj.png

1. I  prefer mail in response w copies and tracking . 
2. The 5% odds are too low to risk …even a rookie bookie would laugh . Don’t gamble too much at stake.

3. You can send in results anytime they are ready ( w copy of RFE) . 
4. If you DIY your AOS, then you saved yourself a hefty legal fee..cause filing fees are minimal compared to attorney fees…so pat yourself on the back and treat yourself to a getaway..95 % you will have fun. 

Timeline

Got it. Thank you so much!

Yep, I did the AOS on my own. With all the free time I HAD to go through anyway, why not? Especially to save a nice amount of money - that later went to my medical bills due to the tb illness... Good thing I saved the attorneys fees, hm? :) 

Once again, thank you for your super help!

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hello! 

Just wanted to give a quick happy update: I got approved! :)

Thank you so much for your wonderful help, @Family!

And Happy New Year for all of us! 🥳

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.