bort_s

Importing Kia car to the US

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I did some searching but all the threads I found were several years old and wanted to see if anyone had any recent experiences.  

I have moved to the US and need to import my car from Canada, this is the last item for me.  I have requested a compliance letter from Kia but I seem to be having issues as the letter Kia Canada provided does not confirm the vehicle meets FVMSS standards, they reference CVMSS which the vehicle already has a label for this.  Kia said the only letter they can provide is the one that says it meets the EPA standards and the CVMSS.  

Has anyone successfully imported a Kia to the US recently in the last couple years?  I am wanting to import my 2018 Kia Stinger, the vehicle has TPMS and everything, its just missing the label in the drivers side door saying it meets the FVMSS. 

I am open to any advice, help or ideas as I would love to get this matter wrapped up ASAP.  Thx

Edited by bort_s

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

There's a poster here who imported a car from Canada somewhere this year. I think he had to go to the dealership to write him something 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, EmilyW said:

Normally, I'd say ditch the car.  But then you said it was a Stinger, and I was like 'yeahhhhh, that's the kind of car you don't want to part with'.

Sorry, I have no advice, but you have good taste in cars.  

Exactly that's the only reason I haven't dumped it yet, I love the car.  If I don't get it sorted in the next few months I will sell it back in Canada and get something here.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

A couple years ago I bought a Ford F-450 in upstate NY and brought it to NC where I live. I had to meet with a man from DOT to inspect it before issuing a license plate for it. Lucky for me, it had the sticker inside the drivers door stating it met USA emissions. I remember him telling me is that sticker was NOT there, it would have been a long and troublesome procedure for me to get a license plate for it.

*** Moved from Moving to the US forum to the Canada regional forum, for input from others who imported their car from Canada ***

On 9/9/2022 at 2:46 PM, bort_s said:

I have moved to the US and need to import my car from Canada

Check the threads below --

Timeline

Did the letter they gave you state the discrepancies needed to comply with DOT standards?  My vehicle didn't meet them either but were simply badging discrepancies.  I ultimately had to just get the passenger airbag light changed from the Canadian version (with symbols) to the US version (with words).  Once I had that and the invoice from the dealership, along with the letter from the manufacturer, ownership and letter from bank that there was no lien it took about 30 minutes at the border to import.  This was in May of this year

Edited by cdndesro

• 9 months later...
On 9/12/2022 at 2:16 PM, cdndesro said:

Did the letter they gave you state the discrepancies needed to comply with DOT standards?  My vehicle didn't meet them either but were simply badging discrepancies.  I ultimately had to just get the passenger airbag light changed from the Canadian version (with symbols) to the US version (with words).  Once I had that and the invoice from the dealership, along with the letter from the manufacturer, ownership and letter from bank that there was no lien it took about 30 minutes at the border to import.  This was in May of this year

May I ask how much you paid for the modification of the airbag light?

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Zombie thread locked to further replies.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.