Techniix

Philippine Passport Renewal

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good afternoon,

My wife and I were just made aware of the report of marriage process and are currently going through that process with the explanation for the delay being that it was unintentional since we were unaware of the requirement, however we now need to renew my wife's passport. I saw that if it has been less than a year we can just go ahead and file with the copy of our ROM and associated documents. Can we file for passport renewal at the same time as submitting the ROM? Or will we have to wait until the ROM has been completed before we can get her passport in her married name? 

Thanks in advance!

5 minutes ago, Techniix said:

Can we file for passport renewal at the same time as submitting the ROM? Or will we have to wait until the ROM has been completed before we can get her passport in her married name?

No -- ROM has to be submitted by mail, while passport renewal has to be done in person.  You may apply for passport renewal as soon as you receive the stamped copy of the ROM documents back from the consulate.  No need to wait for the ROM to be processed by PSA.  Of course, you may book the passport renewal appointment before you have any of the ROM documents.  Just hope that you have the ROM documents back in time for the renewal appointment.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

So I need the stamped copy of the documents in order to renew the passport? I've read online that the ROM process takes 6 months - 1 year. Do the stamped documents come back sooner than this? 

4 minutes ago, Techniix said:

So I need the stamped copy of the documents in order to renew the passport? I've read online that the ROM process takes 6 months - 1 year. Do the stamped documents come back sooner than this? 

Assuming your wife will be renewing her passport at a PH consulate in the US, the consulate-stamped copy of the ROM documents will be acceptable for renewing a passport using married name.  From https://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular-services-2/civil-reg1stry-2/report-of-marriage-of-a-filipino-abroad --

image.png.d40522f790bbac321764be2549db7e14.png

You will get the ROM copy from the consulate much sooner than the processed ROM from PSA.

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, Techniix said:

Good afternoon,

My wife and I were just made aware of the report of marriage process and are currently going through that process with the explanation for the delay being that it was unintentional since we were unaware of the requirement, however we now need to renew my wife's passport. I saw that if it has been less than a year we can just go ahead and file with the copy of our ROM and associated documents. Can we file for passport renewal at the same time as submitting the ROM? Or will we have to wait until the ROM has been completed before we can get her passport in her married name? 

Thanks in advance!

You can do both at the same time.   My wife  did both at the same time at the consulate in DC.  

25 minutes ago, bowens44 said:

You can do both at the same time.   My wife  did both at the same time at the consulate in DC.  

Did your wife do it during COVID times?  PH consulates changed the ROM procedure to mail only since COVID.

Filed: Timeline
24 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Did your wife do it during COVID times?  PH consulates changed the ROM procedure to mail only since COVID.

No , it was before covid. Didnt think about that. My wife is now a naturalized US citizen and she was able reacquire her Philippines citizenship and get a new passport on the same visit...I know not the same thing. 

6 hours ago, Techniix said:

Basically two things happen with a ROM.  First you send the ROM and its support to the Consulate.  When it is reviewed, signed, and stamped, you will get an official copy mailed to you.  The second thing that happens is that the Consulate sends it to the PSA for recording.  That is where the 6 months or longer comes in.

You don't need a copy of the ROM from the PSA to do the passport renewal at the Consulate.  The copy received from Consulate is adequate.

I bet you're thinking, "won't the PSA be more official?"  Here is the secret.  The PSA copy is nothing more than ROM you already have copied onto the official weird-sized yellow-backed paper.

Finally done.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.