Markis

Has Poland banned Russians?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Call your Congressman's office, everyone.  Ask them to call the Bureau of Consular Affairs pronto, or to learn the solution however possible.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
1 hour ago, To_the_moon said:

Is anyone aware about passport control between EU countries on land? I mean car, buses, trains, etc. We were of course planning on going to another country first, information about Poland accepting Russians directly from their flight was conflicting, so we decided not to take our chances. My fiancé is applying for a Hungarian visa next week and our plan was Hungary-Czech Republic-Poland. I wonder if anyone would check his visa if we just drive from Czech Republic to Poland?

As of now, there are no border controls, land or air, between Poland and other Schengen states. However, I noted this on another thread, Poland is legally allowed to institute these under the Schengen regime. A country must only cite public policy (lol) or an emergency situation to reinstitute "temporary" (lol) border checkpoints. I pejoratively put the "lol"s because Austria and Germany have been maintaining these for years citing the Migrant Crisis. If Poland doesn't get what they want (total ban on Russian visa applicants) by next week, they have the authority to move ahead with the Baltic states and impose border checkpoints.

I see this as likely, but with limited effect. There are too many roads to control between Poland and Germany, for example; Poland can easily start checking passports on trains, but this wouldn't stop Russians taking the FlixBus from Berlin to Bydgoszcz. If don't know the legality of Poland checking passports within Poland proper, but I'd have to believe that'd be in their right. Perhaps EU could badger them for discrimination, but Poland's high courts have already declared they are above EU law, iirc. If Poland was to do that, the situation becomes very grim. Every time I was in Warsaw, I was always asked for an ID when checking into a hotel. You can see where I'm going here, especially considering Russians need to stay several days in Warsaw to pick up their passports.

As an aside, the oddity of this to me is that the Polish I know have been extremely kind and welcoming to those fleeing Putin and Lukashenko. My Belarusian family has been treated wonderfully in their town and assimilated well. I'm really at a loss for words about recent developments here, but I assure you if there's a forum to figure things out, it's VJ. Best of luck to you all. 

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, slavaskii said:

As of now, there are no border controls, land or air, between Poland and other Schengen states. However, I noted this on another thread, Poland is legally allowed to institute these under the Schengen regime. A country must only cite public policy (lol) or an emergency situation to reinstitute "temporary" (lol) border checkpoints. I pejoratively put the "lol"s because Austria and Germany have been maintaining these for years citing the Migrant Crisis. If Poland doesn't get what they want (total ban on Russian visa applicants) by next week, they have the authority to move ahead with the Baltic states and impose border checkpoints.

I see this as likely, but with limited effect. There are too many roads to control between Poland and Germany, for example; Poland can easily start checking passports on trains, but this wouldn't stop Russians taking the FlixBus from Berlin to Bydgoszcz. If don't know the legality of Poland checking passports within Poland proper, but I'd have to believe that'd be in their right. Perhaps EU could badger them for discrimination, but Poland's high courts have already declared they are above EU law, iirc. If Poland was to do that, the situation becomes very grim. Every time I was in Warsaw, I was always asked for an ID when checking into a hotel. You can see where I'm going here, especially considering Russians need to stay several days in Warsaw to pick up their passports.

As an aside, the oddity of this to me is that the Polish I know have been extremely kind and welcoming to those fleeing Putin and Lukashenko. My Belarusian family has been treated wonderfully in their town and assimilated well. I'm really at a loss for words about recent developments here, but I assure you if there's a forum to figure things out, it's VJ. Best of luck to you all. 

Yes, I did read your informative post in another thread. I cannot imagine, though, Polish officers stopping every car on every border to search for a Russian passport. Especially, if I, as a US citizen, just rent a car and drive ourselves to Warsaw. I assume, that would, first of all, discriminate all other Europeans who drive across the border and shouldn't, technically, experience any border control procedures. Also, there are SO many roads connecting Poland with other EU countries that I think there is not enough manpower to stop every car without creating a huge traffic. 

We have already lost our hope to get there by air/train, or any other port of entry that will check his passport, so I'm exploring opportunities to get there by car. Our airbnb booking is on my name and I will provide my passport details for check-in. Meanwhile, we are also trying to transfer our case to another location, which, of course, has many downsides as well. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
16 hours ago, To_the_moon said:

Yes, I did read your informative post in another thread. I cannot imagine, though, Polish officers stopping every car on every border to search for a Russian passport. Especially, if I, as a US citizen, just rent a car and drive ourselves to Warsaw. I assume, that would, first of all, discriminate all other Europeans who drive across the border and shouldn't, technically, experience any border control procedures. Also, there are SO many roads connecting Poland with other EU countries that I think there is not enough manpower to stop every car without creating a huge traffic. 

We have already lost our hope to get there by air/train, or any other port of entry that will check his passport, so I'm exploring opportunities to get there by car. Our airbnb booking is on my name and I will provide my passport details for check-in. Meanwhile, we are also trying to transfer our case to another location, which, of course, has many downsides as well. 

I believe @Lynxyonok told us that a Russian applicant contacted nearly 200 consulates/embassies, and only El Salvador and Uzbekistan agreed to the transfer. A fiance of a Russian applicant was messaging me on Reddit and said he was interested in pursuing Salvador, not only because of the (apparent) visa-free regime, but because he also had family there who could help his fiancee around. Of course that seems like the nuclear option, but I'm, unfortunately, highly pessimistic about the State Department changing the designation from Warsaw. After all, when the COVID vaccine requirement went into effect, all of us here on R/U/B thought for sure Russians and Belarusians would be exempt under the 'unavailable' category. They still aren't - despite many other countries being on the list.

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

Timeline
1 hour ago, slavaskii said:

I believe @Lynxyonok told us that a Russian applicant contacted nearly 200 consulates/embassies, and only El Salvador and Uzbekistan agreed to the transfer. A fiance of a Russian applicant was messaging me on Reddit and said he was interested in pursuing Salvador, not only because of the (apparent) visa-free regime, but because he also had family there who could help his fiancee around. Of course that seems like the nuclear option, but I'm, unfortunately, highly pessimistic about the State Department changing the designation from Warsaw. After all, when the COVID vaccine requirement went into effect, all of us here on R/U/B thought for sure Russians and Belarusians would be exempt under the 'unavailable' category. They still aren't - despite many other countries being on the list.

Yes, that was my post, thank you.

@To_the_moon : While not all cars may be checked, how are you going to answer a question during the interview like "How did you arrive into Poland if it is currently illegal?" or a similar one. Because the instant your fiancé / fiancée is suspected of travel fraud, it might just take the entire process down to the "denied" outcome.

Edited by Lynxyonok

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Lynxyonok said:

Yes, that was my post, thank you.

@To_the_moon : While not all cars may be checked, how are you going to answer a question during the interview like "How did you arrive into Poland if it is currently illegal?" or a similar one. Because the instant your fiancé / fiancée is suspected of travel fraud, it might just take the entire process down to the "denied" outcome.

How is that travel fraud if the embassy clearly invited us to attend the interview? By the way, no definitive instructions have been released yet in regards to land travel among EU countries. They banned entrance on Russian-Estonian/Lithuanian/Latvian borders, which means no new Russians will be allowed, but what can they do to people who entered prior to this ban? 

In addition to travel fraud claim, fairly speaking they should also question people getting Schengen visas to Italy/Spain or any other country to attend their interview in Warsaw without stepping a foot in those countries. Or getting business visas to France to attend a "business conference"😄

My point is that the US consulate in Warsaw is clearly aware of Russian citizens having trouble getting into the country for almost two years but still continues interviewing them without questioning their path to Europe. And I never suggested anything illegal, I was just trying to work around the blind spots that have not been clearly identified yet. Of course I would never even try to cross the border illegally. But until it does become illegal, it is only a theory which can change multiple times before our interview day.

Edited by To_the_moon

Timeline
28 minutes ago, To_the_moon said:

How is that travel fraud if the embassy clearly invited us to attend the interview? By the way, no definitive instructions have been released yet in regards to land travel among EU countries. They banned entrance on Russian-Estonian/Lithuanian/Latvian borders, which means no new Russians will be allowed, but what can they do to people who entered prior to this ban? 

In addition to travel fraud claim, fairly speaking they should also question people getting Schengen visas to Italy/Spain or any other country to attend their interview in Warsaw without stepping a foot in those countries. Or getting business visas to France to attend a "business conference"😄

My point is that the US consulate in Warsaw is clearly aware of Russian citizens having trouble getting into the country for almost two years but still continues interviewing them without questioning their path to Europe. And I never suggested anything illegal, I was just trying to work around the blind spots that have not been clearly identified yet. Of course I would never even try to cross the border illegally. But until it does become illegal, it is only a theory which can change multiple times before our interview day.

I agree with all of your points. An important distinction, however, is that a US invitation does not guarantee Polish entry.

There's potential risk involved in entering Poland. The country is citing threats to its national security: I wouldn't put it past them to establish additional checks and balances.

That's all.

On 9/8/2022 at 9:28 AM, millefleur said:

This is the glaringly obvious choice. No doubt Kazakhstan also has Russian speaking staff on hand.

Requested transfer from Warsaw to Almaty two days ago.  Fastest correspondence chain since I've been in the process - only took a few hours.

The answer was generally polite but in BOLD type it was denied: 

"Greetings,

Thank you for contacting the Consular Section of the U.S. Mission in Kazakhstan.

In response to significant challenges related to staff shortages and huge backlog of immigrant visa applications, the U.S. Mission in Kazakhstan is limited in its resources to process visa services. We provide visa services on a limited appointment basis as resources and local conditions allow. Therefore, given current space, capacity constraints and Consular section’s limited resources and huge backlog we are unable to accept your case transfer request."

Timeline
On 9/10/2022 at 1:11 PM, slavaskii said:

a Russian applicant contacted nearly 200 consulates/embassies, and only El Salvador and Uzbekistan agreed to the transfer

I still think that people should contact the Bureau of Consular Affairs in D.C. for advice.

Too bad that Finland, Norway, and Mongolia (all bordering Russia) apparently declined.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
5 hours ago, FJinSD said:

"Greetings,

Thank you for contacting the Consular Section of the U.S. Mission in Kazakhstan.

In response to significant challenges related to staff shortages and huge backlog of immigrant visa applications, the U.S. Mission in Kazakhstan is limited in its resources to process visa services. We provide visa services on a limited appointment basis as resources and local conditions allow. Therefore, given current space, capacity constraints and Consular section’s limited resources and huge backlog we are unable to accept your case transfer request."

What's the deal with staff shortages? They need to hire more people.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline
20 minutes ago, millefleur said:

What's the deal with staff shortages? They need to hire more people.

They might still be restricted, or gearing up, consequent to Covid closures.  The physical premises might not accommodate new people.  There may be other physical, mechanical, or functional reasons.

Timeline
On 9/9/2022 at 8:20 PM, TBoneTX said:

Call your Congressman's office, everyone.  Ask them to call the Bureau of Consular Affairs pronto, or to learn the solution however possible.

Who has done this?  What was the outcome?

Timeline
8 hours ago, FJinSD said:

I've written/called two United States senators and my local congressional representative.  Same answer from all - basically: "take it up with the NVC/State Department"

Nothing like being blown off.  Call your Congressman's office back, and ask for phone numbers to the Bureau of Consular Affairs.

Timeline

Something to consider. 28 senators have to win their bid for re-election in 2 months.

Some of them really need every vote they can get.

A well-timed, well-placed phone call in a state like Arizona, Georgia, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin can result in progress.

Edited by Lynxyonok

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.