NikNush

My Review of Sonic Health US Visa Medical in Melbourne

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I am in the process of getting a K1 visa to join my US based partner and last week on Monday 29th I went in for my medical. I chose Sonic Health due to the location being in the city by parliament station and it being more convenient for me to get to. The instructions from Sonic health were very clear on what to bring to the appointment in relation to vaccination records, passport, and 4 passport photographs 5cmx 5cm. They did not need a copy of the DS160 as i had emailed that and the interview confirmation letter to them. 

I had reached out to Sonic health about 8 months ago to ask what the vaccination requirements were and went ahead and got my GP to do a blood serology to check all my vaccination levels. I figured if I had low levels in anything, I might as well do it through the GP and it would be cheaper than paying for it at the Medical. 

On the day of my medical, I got to the clinic and was requested to fill in a few details on a clip board and then four PDF documents on a computer screen with my name, passport details, and some medical details where required. 

I then waited in the reception area until a nurse came to collect me to check my height, weight, blood pressure, and eye sight with and without my glasses on. She also took a blood sample to test for syphilis which is one of the Medical requirements. As I am above the age of 24, there was no need for a test for gonorrea (apparently they only test for this for 18 - 24 year olds). I then went back to the reception area and waited for a while, maybe 1 hour at this point. Then the doctor Stuart Turnbull came to collect me and we discussed my vaccination records. As my early baby vaccinations were eligible on the card I had, he was very happy that I had also done a serology with my GP to check my vaccination requirements as he could rely on this as well rather than just on my handwritten baby vaccinations from my home country on a pink card. This meant that I did not need to get any vaccinations at my US Visa Medical as I was completely up to date, which apparently is rare. 

The doctor then asked me if I had ever had chicken pox, which I had, so that was fine and then he asked me to sit on the bed and he listened to my breathing from my back, tapped my knee with a hammer to check my reflexes, and got me to lay down and felt my abdomen and legs over my clothes. He was very professional and friendly.

After that was over and he had photocopied any documents he needed, he sent me back to reception where I paid the $580 and they gave me a referral to take to IMED radiology which is down on collins street (just take the tram down bourke street) and I waited at IMED For a little bit. There was some confusion as they hadn't emailed through my Visa documentation so the receptionist called Sonic health to ask for that and they sent it through right away. I waited about half an hour before I got called in for the chest Xray. I was given a robe to change into and had the chest xray and then left. I got emailed my chest xray results at the end of the week and on Friday got an email from Sonic Health to say my medical was ready to be picked up. The following monday (7 days after my medical) I picked up my Medical in a sealed envelope and my Xray CD and a copy of my DS3025 which is my own vaccination record which I will need in the states when doing my adjustment of status. 

Sydney Embassy has confirmed that I do not need to post the medical to them, I just hand carry it and bring it to the Interview with the X ray CD. 

Overall I had a very pleasant experience doing my Medical and highly recommend them and the doctor. Reading the other reviews on the Visa Journey Forums of the clinic in Toorak and the other doctor on the panel, I am very grateful that I chose to go to Sonic Health. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.