Josh or

I just got to America and my wife threatened to revoke my greencard

56 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

YOU KNEW THAT YOUR WIFE DID NOT WANT YOU TO COME IN THE FIRST PLACE.  NO SYMPATHY HERE!!!!!!!  SHE TOLD YOU NOT TO COME!!!!!!

@Josh or story is no different than this this thread …only difference is our young Josh is from Nigeria  and his wife actually knew he was coming and waited for him at the airport.

So Josh , read through @oat12 posts and you will find many sympathetic responses that may help you. 

Situation escalating with abusive spouse

By oat12,  August 1 in Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Obviously not an ideal situation but better to know before uprooting than surprise! when you get here.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Some noncontributory posts have been removed, along with one quoting.  Please confine discussion to the OP's situation.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
20 hours ago, African Zealot said:

Nobody needs your sympathy. I fully support any immigrant who has gone through the trouble of applying for and obtaining a marriage visa following through and coming to America even if the American spouse changes their mind about coming.

Immigrants are not sacks of potatoes to be cast aside according to the whims and flakiness of the American spouse. Quitting one’s job, preparing to migrate, notifying one’s friends and family etc and then being told don’t come is not trivial. 

It is different when you do not know and that happens, but OP knew tried to go around spouse to still come and found out he could not pay his GC fee.  

I would rather stay at home in my home country than be homeless in the US.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Fortunately for op he has made it to America and knowing Nigerians because I roll with a lot of them; he won't be homeless for long, lol. Despite the bad image Nigerians get around the world, they are some of the hardworking and ambitious folks in the world. Nigerian immigrants are the most educated immigrants in the US; go figure. The pressing thing for op is to divorce and move on with his life, and if chooses to live that life in the US, at least he will have that option.

If I were you, I would open a P.O. box so all your mail will get delivered there so she won't do anything with your mail. Then I would call the social security administration and report what she did with your social security card. You need to have evidence of what she said and is doing to you. Record every conversation the both of you have. Use your phone. If you can get her to say that she is just using you to take care of her while she has another guy living there will help you and that she is threatening you with a gun. Any evidence you have of her saying these things and doing these things to you  will benefit you. Once you have enough evidence if you feel your life is in danger report her to the local authorities and also to the USCIS. tell the police that you that you feel like your life is in danger and that you have no where else to go and you don't want to go back to the place you're staying. They might send you to a shelter or something I don't know. An investigation will he done. That's when you give the evidence to them. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
On 8/26/2022 at 10:54 AM, Josh or said:

Thank you so much, I can't afford a divorce attorney now, hope it wouldn't be too late like in two or three months time?

Try to do a search for your area where you live.

Put in city and state and free or low cost Legal Aid and  Pro Bono, might have to pay but much less.  Do it as soon as possible.  Much luck I'll be praying for you.

America, Give Me My Spouse/Fiancé !

https://www.youtube....O6dwPf8HqZBzjUA

Help us make processing times at USCIS service centers fairer.
http://helptsc.tumblr.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Married. 10-16-2011. (L)

I-130 Sent. 03-14-2014 PD changed 6-24-2013. Received DS-261 / AOS Bill: 05-28-2014.

I-130 NOA1. 03-20-2013. Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

Returned to me due to mistake. 04-27-2013. Submit DS-261: 05-28-2014 Scanned on May 30 Th.
Returned to USCIS
04-30-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to me again USCIS mistake.
05-14-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to USCIS. 06-24-2013 due to travel. Receive IV Bill: 07-07-2014. 2uge4p4.gif
I-130 NOA2, Approved. 04-08-2014. Send IV Package: 07-22-2014 Scanned 07/24/2014.
Your I-130 was approved in 283, actual 343 days.
Submitted DS-260; 07/14/2014

Arrived NVC. 04-25-2014. NVC requested parents marriage cert, 10/10/2014

Case number given. 05-20-2014. Last scan date, 10/22/2014
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014. AOS Approved: 12-16-2014. egyptian.gif
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Receive I-864 Package: 06-25-2014.
Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

CASE COMPLETE : They lied, 09-17-2014 42.gifActual CC 12-16-2014. Finally smiley-sick014.gif

Interview date given on 12-29-2014. Interview date 02-19-2015

01-29-2015 - Medical

02-19-2015 - Interview: Denied, reason given does not believe we are a Bona Fide marriage. voodoo-smiley-emoticon.gif groin-kick-smiley-emoticon.gif

-----------------------------------------

9hftc5sfgir1vd95.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

If you can't afford a lawyer (and even if you can afford a lawyer) go to the library and ask for the Nolo Press shelf. You'll find self-help legal books on every topic, including divorce. More importantly, their books on immigration law are excellent.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 8/26/2022 at 12:41 PM, Josh or said:

Hello, 

I just to America three weeks ago, I was staying with my wife and later she brought a guy to start staying with us, and after that, she told me she just need me to be taking care of her, work and take care of her, she said the guy is the person she wants, I was unsettled with this so she started threatening with gun and also said if I do not paly along and agreed i should go back to africa,. Then there was  a day she wants me out of her house and I had to leave. Then have been trying to work but I don't have my social security yet as it has been delivered to her and when I called her today she said she returned my social security card to the social security office. Have paid for my green card but it hasn't been mailed yet, and today she said she contacted the uscis to cancel my green card , and she was making a lie accusation that I used her. Pleas I don't know what to do, will my green card not be mailed anymore after she make the accusation and report to uscis or what step should I take?

I’m Nigerian too Josh and I came here on a K1. I already have my green card and awaiting my citizenship. I can relate to your confusion but not knowing the rules is the biggest downside. 

please help me get your story straight: you came here on a spouse (marriage) visa, but you were already married two years so you were approved for a 10year GC. At this point your sponsor is abusing you because she’d rather be with another man but since she helped to get you a GC and she’s now out of a job she wants you to pay some or her bills in order to keep your green card. She’s also threatening to push for revocation of your GC should you not comply with her demands…..is this your story ? 

My answers: 

She absolutely can not revoke your green card, she doesn’t have such powers. She can send whatever she wants to USCIS and won’t be the first bitter spouse to do that, USCIS don’t just pander to sponsors just because they are sponsors. it’s a scare tactic. It’s either she doesn’t know the rules herself or just exploiting your ignorance as a newcomer. 

Settle yourself into a new address. Go to social security and apply to replace your card.  If you never got it at your old address, just tell them you never got it since she got it and didn’t give it to you. 

Also, there’s an application you can file to replace your lost green card on USCIS website. You can follow this procedure to replace your card. 

If you are sure she has your card, you can call the cops and report domestic abuse and they can help to get your card back, especially if you have evidence that it’s still in her possession.

Thirdly, she filed to be your sponsor, that’s a legally enforceable contract until you become a citizen or until you have worked 10years in the US, I believe that’s how that law applies (I stand to be corrected). I bet she doesn’t know this too. 

Filed: Other Timeline

Hello, 

I just to America three weeks ago, I was staying with my wife and later she brought a guy to start staying with us, and after that, she told me she just need me to be taking care of her, work and take care of her, she said the guy is the person she wants, I was unsettled with this so she started threatening with gun and also said if I do not paly along and agreed i should go back to africa,. Then there was  a day she wants me out of her house and I had to leave. Then have been trying to work but I don't have my social security yet as it has been delivered to her and when I called her today she said she returned my social security card to the social security office. Have paid for my green card but it hasn't been mailed yet, and today she said she contacted the uscis to cancel my green card , and she was making a lie accusation that I used her. Pleas I don't know what to do, will my green card not be mailed anymore after she make the accusation and report to uscis or what step should I take?

Which part of Africa you from!

Hello, 

I saw the red flag from my spouse right while I'm still in Africa, I have to stay back for my happiness, safety and sanity..this ain't gonna be my stress to deal with...find a way to seek a lawyer and please keep enough evidence. Stay safe bro

Edited by TBoneTX
profanity edited out

20 hours ago, Pinkrlion said:

It is different when you do not know and that happens, but OP knew tried to go around spouse to still come and found out he could not pay his GC fee.  

I would rather stay at home in my home country than be homeless in the US.

Don't judge if you don't know the full story, when she asked me not to come after have quit my job and sold half of my stuffs, I agreed with her and I was in the process of looking for another job when she called me and ask me to come and said we would work on our marriage, but on getting here is when she made me known she don't give a about no marriage, that she only want to use me , and she started going extra length of threatened for me to be able to 100 percent agree to that is where I started not feel safe..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.