Rastamike808

Visa Packet Single Status Certificate

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline
My Fiance and I just received the visa packet from the embassy to schedule our interview. In the list of requirements it states she needs a certificate to prove she's single. She is living in Costa Rica but originally from Venezuela. Would she need the document from her home country or from Costa Rica to prove she is single?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Rastamike808 said:

She has not been married.

Do these single status certificates exist in Costa Rica or Venezuela?

3 hours ago, Rastamike808 said:

Would she need the document from her home country or from Costa Rica to prove she is single?

No need for single status certificate from Venezuela.  Ask your fiancee to check with the Registro Civil in San Jose, Costa Rica if they issue "certificado de soltería" to residents who are not CR citizens.

From the published interview checklist of the US embassy in San Jose -- https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/SNJ-San-Jose.html#pre_interview_checklist

"If you are single (unmarried) and 14 years of age or older: An original single status certificate (certificado de soltería), which can be obtained at the Civil Registry in San Jose. The certificate is only valid for three months."

11 hours ago, Family said:

Doest thou not speak CENOMAR ? 

Hah, this made me laugh. I get your point that these documents (CENOMAR for the Philippines, certificado de soltería for Costa Rica) can prove an applicant's single status in that country. However, these documents are not bulletproof evidence that an applicant is single. 

I am an example. I got married in the US and have not yet sent the documents to register my marriage in the Philippine civil registry (it's an administrative hassle and it's not required anyway). So if you ran a CENOMAR search on me, I would still show up as "single" even though I am already married.  I am sure the same thing happens in other countries.

To go back to OP's question, hopefully Costa Rica will issue the certificado de soltería to his girlfriend - if not, at least they can prove to the embassy that they tried.

5 minutes ago, Adventine said:

bulletproof evidence that an applicant is single. 

True that , and I enjoyed @Mike E genuine amazement and ref to proving a negative.

Most LPR’s choose not to deal with their birth countries US embassy and register changes to the civil status ( marriage , divorce , death of spouse..) 

But you would agree that one would need to be “coy” and withhold info required to run a clean CENOMAR ( or other such Certificate of No Impediment…for any country requiring it). So a bit of Russian Roulette, Lol! 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Family said:

I enjoyed @Mike E genuine amazement and ref to proving a negative.! 

It is scary to consider that 50 percent of the world’s population has an IQ under 100. Where do these people exist? They get jobs that entail:

* writing rules requiring certificates of being single,

* telling visa applicants they need a police certificate from every where they’ve lived for more than 6 months then saying “no just bring a certificate from where you currently live”,

* issuing 10 year green cards to people who should have 2 year green cards and vice versa 

* sending mail to an old address even though they confirmed the address change 

* designing forms like I-864, or

* interviewing K-1 visa applicants asking them if they’ve book a venue for their wedding reception. 

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Family said:

To give credit where credit is due, this is beauty goes to Other Countries, not US/us…lol …

Per OP it is the US consulate or embassy that is demanding this useless document 

Edited by Mike E

On 8/23/2022 at 4:04 PM, Rastamike808 said:
My Fiance and I just received the visa packet from the embassy to schedule our interview. In the list of requirements it states she needs a certificate to prove she's single. She is living in Costa Rica but originally from Venezuela. Would she need the document from her home country or from Costa Rica to prove she is single?

This is not a thing.   There is no way to prove someone is not married.

Even if a country provides such a document, it is not required by US immigration agencies.

On 8/23/2022 at 9:47 PM, Family said:

Doest thou not speak CENOMAR ? 

Another completely useless document.

34 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:
On 8/23/2022 at 4:04 PM, Rastamike808 said:

This is not a thing.   There is no way to prove someone is not married.

Even if a country provides such a document, it is not required by US immigration agencies.

Oh it’s definitely a Thing in certain countries and OP happens to need it for the US embassy in that country.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/SNJ-San-Jose.html#pre_interview_checklist

If you are single (unmarried) and 14 years of age or older: An original single status certificate (certificado de soltería), which can be obtained at the Civil Registry in San Jose. The certificate is only valid for three months

15 hours ago, Family said:

Oh it’s definitely a Thing in certain countries and OP happens to need it for the US embassy in that country.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/SNJ-San-Jose.html#pre_interview_checklist

If you are single (unmarried) and 14 years of age or older: An original single status certificate (certificado de soltería), which can be obtained at the Civil Registry in San Jose. The certificate is only valid for three months

That’s fine, but it is only ‘proves’ that the person did not get married in the country that issued it.

Does not ‘prove’ that a person is single.

Edited by Jorgedig

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.