LLL_

Regarding I130 filing

19 posts in this topic

Hello.

Recently my husband(US citizen) is trying to file  I130 petition for me. We both are living abroad as of now. In the I130 form, there's a question about mailing address. I was wondering should I put my current address which is a foreign address, or is it okay if I put my friend/relative's US address as the mailing address? Which one is preferred or what differences will it make? 

Thank you very much! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If it's your husband address that is the US citizen petitioner a address they are asking for then put his. If it's your address then you will have to put your foreign adresd that isn't the US address. i hope this answers your question. You living abroad, are you referring to outside of USA? If your Outside of the US then you both will use your individual address at whatever resident you reside separately until your granted your visa to move to the USA.

6 minutes ago, Aishat919 said:

If it's your husband address that is the US citizen petitioner a address they are asking for then put his. If it's your address then you will have to put your foreign adresd that isn't the US address. i hope this answers your question. You living abroad, are you referring to outside of USA? If your Outside of the US then you both will use your individual address at whatever resident you reside separately until your granted your visa to move to the USA.

Hi thank you so much for your answer! I think I might need to provide more information for our situation. So my husband and I are living outside of the US for his education. We currently are living in the same country. He doesn't own a property or have a lease under his name in the US as of now. 

Timeline

Well it maybe hard for him to prove domicile in the USA. When  I did the filling of my spouse I know that was one of the requirements of the I130, I'm not sure if the rules may have changed from 2016. Perhaps others can chime in. 

This link may help:https://www.uscis.gov/i-130

Edited by Aishat919
Provide link

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It is your choice.  The mailing address can be your current physical address abroad, or it can be the address of a US friend/relative.

2 hours ago, LLL_ said:

Hello.

Recently my husband(US citizen) is trying to file  I130 petition for me. We both are living abroad as of now. In the I130 form, there's a question about mailing address. I was wondering should I put my current address which is a foreign address, or is it okay if I put my friend/relative's US address as the mailing address? Which one is preferred or what differences will it make? 

Thank you very much! 

Why would you put a friend's address in the US?  Makes no sense.

Put the address where you currently live and receive mail.

18 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Why would you put a friend's address in the US?  Makes no sense.

Put the address where you currently live and receive mail.

Well I thought it'd be faster to receive the mail if the address is in the US. Do you happen to know what kind of documents the USCIS would mail? I plan to file everything online. 

1 minute ago, LLL_ said:

Well I thought it'd be faster to receive the mail if the address is in the US. Do you happen to know what kind of documents the USCIS would mail? I plan to file everything online. 

I'm confused.   Are you the beneficiary?

The petition is filed by the USC.   

1 hour ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

It is your choice.  The mailing address can be your current physical address abroad, or it can be the address of a US friend/relative.

Okay got it! Thank you for your answer! Do you know what kind of documents the USCIS would send me except the green card itself? I'm applying the petition online btw.

2 hours ago, Aishat919 said:

Well it maybe hard for him to prove domicile in the USA. When  I did the filling of my spouse I know that was one of the requirements of the I130, I'm not sure if the rules may have changed from 2016. Perhaps others can chime in. 

This link may help:https://www.uscis.gov/i-130

Yea that could be a problem that we need to solve.. he might have a US bank account not sure if that's enough..

Timeline

i guess they will be sending you communications via mail as well.we filed for my husbands naturalization online but they still send confirmation of biometric and other correspondence to ensure one did receive a physical copy. i also believe you will be getting correspondent from the NVC(National visa center ) whenever Uscis part is done and then finally from the consulate. i don't believe they will give you a green card abroad unless you do come to the USA some how once visa to travel is in your hand. According to the delay of everything during covid it maybe longer than expected. Who knows, maybe your husand may move back to the USA. Good thing is you can always go online and update addresses when needed. 

3 minutes ago, Aishat919 said:

i guess they will be sending you communications via mail as well.we filed for my husbands naturalization online but they still send confirmation of biometric and other correspondence to ensure one did receive a physical copy. i also believe you will be getting correspondent from the NVC(National visa center ) whenever Uscis part is done and then finally from the consulate. i don't believe they will give you a green card abroad unless you do come to the USA some how once visa to travel is in your hand. According to the delay of everything during covid it maybe longer than expected. Who knows, maybe your husand may move back to the USA. Good thing is you can always go online and update addresses when needed. 

That's a lot useful information ! Really appreciate your detailed answer. Thank you! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
10 hours ago, LLL_ said:

Okay got it! Thank you for your answer! Do you know what kind of documents the USCIS would send me except the green card itself? I'm applying the petition online btw.

NOA1, NOA2 and any RFE's.  They will not send your greencard there.  Later, after everything is approved and you receive the IR1/CR1 visa, you will be given instructions to pay the $220 immigration fee, and you will updated the address for the GC delivery there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.