deemabrouk

Koshari Places in the US??

22 posts in this topic

yeah I'm seeing quite a few Bostonians on this board. Kinda cool!

Oh yeah and for the Bostonians.....in my "hood" we have Safy Market. They are a halal store but they have recently opened up a mini restaurant. They have the best kebabs east of Boston (so far in my neverending quest to find middle eastern food anyways:)

Hmm...I'll have to check that out!

I live on the North Shore. I think we should have a group meeting sometime....someplace where there's satellite tv so the guys can watch soccer!!! :thumbs: I think I remember someone telling me a bunch of guys get together in the North End a lot.

Yup, that was me. Cafe Paradiso is where it's at!

Oh, and Safy Market. Is that the one on Broadway, Revere?

ETA: I think there are lots of ME places to eat around Boston. A few I know of:

Tangierino, Charlestown (Moroccan)

Rami's in Brookline

Cafe Jaffa in the Back Bay

Sabra Grill in Harvard Square

Karoun in Newton

Zuzu in Central Square

Yummmm.... I've been to Rami's, the falafel is good, i think that's all I've had... it's always packed though. Cafe Jaffa I've had in the past and liked - good kebabs. I'll have to try the rest of these... I've had Tangierino in mind for awhile!

I've also been to Baraka Cafe in Cambridge near Central Square. It's a small Algerian-Tunisian restaurant that has great couscous and karantika. It's pretty authentic and everyone that works tehre is Algerian.

My husband knows the owners of The Jewel of Newbury, they own a French/Algerian restaurant and a hotel on Newbury Street. They're Algerian and make AMAZING food. it's a neat little restaurant, really pretty, but a little pricey.

Algiers Cafe in Cambridge used to be better (in my opinion), but the upstairs is nice and they have a roof deck (or at least used to). I feel like it's very Americanized. And its always swarming with college students. I've had good food there though.

I've heard of a restaurnat called Red Fez, but haven't been there. It's in the south end. I'm guessing Moroccan? The menu looks like it has some lebanese dishes too.

There's also an Ethiopian restaurant, I think there's one on Tremont street and one in Cambridge, called Addis Red Sea... I've heard the food is good and it's a fun place to go. My friends say that instead of plates they give you a large pancake for the table and you scoop food into a smaller pancake and you eat with your hands - sounds like a good time to me!

What's the best one food wise?

Ooooo I don't know... I haven't tried all of them, but I guess it depends on what you want, they are all so different - some fancy food, some fast food, some middle eastern, some north african....

Filed: Timeline

You're right about Dearborn, MI. There's a big difference between the Mid Eastern restaurants in the suburbs and the restaurants in Dearborn. Even the same restaurant has different food in Dearborn (we have a couple "chain" Mid Eastern restaurants).

Melly...you would think with the diverse Mid Eastern culture here there would be a koshari shop but most Mid Eastern restaurants are owned by either Lebanese or Iraqis. Egyptians are a small minority here. Michigan has mostly Lebanese, Iraqis and Yemenis. We also have Jordanians, Palestinians, Syrians and very small numbers of Moroccans, Libyans, Algerians and Egyptians.

I think that middle eastern food lacks in most places in the US.

Even in Boston, we only have a few:( There is a falafal place in Central Square that is quite good. Boston Sharma and Sharma King. Those are the only 3 I've tried so far. Not much more than that I'm afraid from what I've seen:(

Best mid east food I've tried personally is in NYC. But then again, if you cannot find something in NYC, you just might need to get some bifocals:)

Aside from that, everyone I meet who has been to the Dearborn, MI area says that's got the best mid east food EVER known on US soil. But.....the fact that it has the highest concentration of arabs in the US has something to do with that I'm sure;)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
koshari.jpg

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I love koshari.

You can get it in NY & in NJ....lots of fast food places serve it in Brooklyn & Paterson.

I-130

8/07/06 mailed I-130 to VSC

8/17/06 NOA1

12/14/06 NOA2

1/24/07 sent I-824 to have I-130 forwarded to NVC

6/15/07 NVC case # assigned.............It's about time!!

9/16/07 case complete after 2 RFE's for DS230

10/9/07 Interview

10/16/07 VISA!!

I-129F

9/10/06 mailed I-129F

9/19/06 NOA1

12/15/06 NOA2

1/09/07 Packet 3 received from Cairo Embassy

2/12/07 Packet 3 returned to Cairo Embassy

5/6/07 Interview..........It's about time!!

ضَاقتْ فلّما استَحْكمَتْ حَلقا تها فُرِجَتْ..................وَ كِدْتُ أظنها لا تفرجُ

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

well I def. would like a spot that was a lil different than the regular Falafel shop... But could have that too :thumbs:

I think there are alot of Egyptians in the Boston area.... ISB seems to be crawling with them.. Egyptians...

I gotta check out some of the other spot...

I have been meaning to take Mohamed to the Sharwma King in Brookline.. I would think that Allston and the Comm Ave strip would be a good spot.. I figured Koshari could be marketed to the hipster vegetarian college kids... ? I was thinking a hooka bar... But it is viewed by some being Haraam.........

But anyways.... The wheels are turning....

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

yeah egyptians are everywhere here....they seem to outnumber the otehr arabs here.

Speaking of hookah, yeah Boston lacks in that department. BUT one opened in Alliston (I believe). If you want, I can dig up the address and post if for ya. I have not gone there myself yet as it is new. But that is one place I am sure to take my husband to when he gets back!!

June 14, 2007 Sent I130 to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

June 15, 2007 Confirmed on usps.com that VSC has received packet

June 29, 2007 Check cashed by USCIS (hey they opened my packet!)

June 30, 2007 Received NOA1

July 7, 2007 I130 touched

July 9, 2007 I130 touched

July 10, 2007 I130 touched

Aug. 24, 2007 I130 touched

Aug. 26, 2007 I130 touched (stop feeling up my husband's case and get him over here, yala!)

Oct. 1, 2007 On my way to Palestine

Oct. 5, 2007 I130 approved, transferrerd to NVC YAY!!!!

Oct. 16, 2007 Return to US, ranks one of the saddest day of my life:(

Oct. 27, 2007 Agent form/AOS bill received from NVC

Nov 1, 2007 Overnighted AOS payment to NVC

Nov. 29, 2007 Received AOS form from NVC

Dec. 20, 2007 overnighted I864 packet to NVC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.