Palawan

Why does Philippines want a person to declare bringing in more than 50,000 in Philippines Currency

36 posts in this topic

"International travelers arriving in NAIA Terminal 1 and bringing in goods, including currencies in excess of PHP50,000.00* and/or USD10,000.00, in their baggage can now declare conveniently through the I-Declare System"

That less than a $1000 US Currency

Why don't they want Philipines currency to leave or enter the country? They cheap and worried about making more money?  Or they just trying find a way to confiscate money from outside travelers?

Edited by Palawan

Don't feel bad, up until Nov 2016 it was USD 10,000 OR PHP 10,000.  So not long ago the limit was more like $200 if it was in Pesos and you had to sign the customs form to that effect.

Edited by top_secret

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

All countries I have ever entered ( Over 100) usually have something like this to monitor money going in and out to protect from money laundering and drug money. Most countries are right around 10k in US funds as the declaration point. The US is 10k in currency, or how they phrase it Monetary instruments. ( Gold, Diamonds, etc.) I have taken over the limits into the US many times, and other countries a few times as well with no issues as long as it is declared. They are not interested in your money to take it from you, they just want to make sure you aren't a mule for illegal activities. If you are planning on rolling thru customs with 1 million US, you better have proof of where the money came from, and what it is for. I once had about 50k confiscated from me at LAX when entering into the US because I didn't have proof of where the money came from in my possession at the time. Once I got the bank statements, and proof of where the money originated, I went back to CBP at LAX, and they gave me my money back no questions asked. I did have it declared on my entry form.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

8 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

All countries I have ever entered ( Over 100) usually have something like this to monitor money going in and out to protect from money laundering and drug money. Most countries are right around 10k in US funds as the declaration point. The US is 10k in currency, or how they phrase it Monetary instruments. ( Gold, Diamonds, etc.) I have taken over the limits into the US many times, and other countries a few times as well with no issues as long as it is declared. They are not interested in your money to take it from you, they just want to make sure you aren't a mule for illegal activities. If you are planning on rolling thru customs with 1 million US, you better have proof of where the money came from, and what it is for. I once had about 50k confiscated from me at LAX when entering into the US because I didn't have proof of where the money came from in my possession at the time. Once I got the bank statements, and proof of where the money originated, I went back to CBP at LAX, and they gave me my money back no questions asked. I did have it declared on my entry form.

I was talking about the low amount of the Philippines Peso of less than 50K, which isn't the equilivant of $1000 US Dollars.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

you can bring it in / just need to declare it and fill out the paperwork and show where the money came from (we take proofs when we travel )

to enter the US , u are actually required to declare all goods bought outside the US and all monies bought in (ALL)

for the very reasons Loren Y posted

It is the monetary currency, not the converted value.  50K in pesos; 10K USD.  They can question you - where was the PESOS produced.  Philippines change their paper money from time to time.  When I went to visit last month, I still had Philippine paper monies from my previous trip - and they were useless :) .  Bringing them out the country is questionable for big amounts (other than souvenir and your allowance once on your next Philippine trip).  Much more bringing them in Philippines - (you will be questioned where you got it).   

Now, am back in US, I still have about 10K pesos with me... hoping that my next trip to Philippines it is still being used! :)   I used it to pay porters, transportation, tips, food, etc..  I do not want to tip in dollars if I can in pesos. :)

15 hours ago, hunny&me said:

It is the monetary currency, not the converted value.  50K in pesos; 10K USD.  They can question you - where was the PESOS produced.  Philippines change their paper money from time to time.  When I went to visit last month, I still had Philippine paper monies from my previous trip - and they were useless :) .  Bringing them out the country is questionable for big amounts (other than souvenir and your allowance once on your next Philippine trip).  Much more bringing them in Philippines - (you will be questioned where you got it).   

Now, am back in US, I still have about 10K pesos with me... hoping that my next trip to Philippines it is still being used! :)   I used it to pay porters, transportation, tips, food, etc..  I do not want to tip in dollars if I can in pesos. :)

It actually only 50K Philippines Peso you can bring in with having to report or get authorization.

You can have 49K Philippines pesos, and 9K USD and be fine

16 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

to enter the US , u are actually required to declare all goods bought outside the US and all monies bought in (ALL)

for the very reasons Loren Y posted

Wrong Again

You do not have to report all monies brought into the USA unless it exceeds 10K USD

Please stop spreading wrong infomation

15 hours ago, hunny&me said:

I left a few weeks ago, I exited with about 300K of Philippines Pesos.  When I entered it was like 50 to 1 exchanged rate, stayed there a little over 2 months and exchange rate was 56 to 1 when I was leaving, figured just hold it and use it when I returned, plus I am sure when you convert peso to US Dollars they find some more fees to incur on you.  You can leave with any amount of Philippines peso, it is never questioned, it's only when you enter the form say something about having more than 50K Philippines Peso, the form you give to Immigration as you enter at the airport

Who tips in dollars in the Philippines? Currency is Pesos, a dollar is the same thing as piece of paper trash over there. 

It's been many years since they changed the currency over there, I got stuck with a couple hundred bucks of useless paper currency as well, but that currency switch seemed to be about 5 years ago from what I remember.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, Palawan said:

Wrong Again

You do not have to report all monies brought into the USA unless it exceeds 10K USD

Please stop spreading wrong infomation

u do have to declare all monies but not have to fill out the forms unless it exceeds the limits 

1 hour ago, Palawan said:

Who tips in dollars in the Philippines? Currency is Pesos, a dollar is the same thing as piece of paper trash over there. 

I do tip in dollars at the airport if I do not have pesos or enough "valid" pesos.  I appreciate my kababayans helping me in my luggage.  I prefer tipping in pesos so that they can use it right away versus foreign currency that they have to collect and exchange.   One dollar is not a piece of trash but it is small amount for multiple luggage.

1 hour ago, hunny&me said:

I do tip in dollars at the airport if I do not have pesos or enough "valid" pesos.  I appreciate my kababayans helping me in my luggage.  I prefer tipping in pesos so that they can use it right away versus foreign currency that they have to collect and exchange.   One dollar is not a piece of trash but it is small amount for multiple luggage.

Trash cuz it's worthless in the Philippines, they can't convert it, always tip in Pesos.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, Palawan said:

Wrong, please stop spreading misinformation.

Both my fiance' and her sister work in a day spa, and they occasionally get tips in US dollars (and sometimes other currencies) and they are more than happy to get it. They have no problems exchanging the dollars for pesos as there is no shortage of places to make those transactions. If you ever want someone to take those "paper trash" US dollars off of your hands I can direct you to 110,000,000 or so Filipinos who will gladly help you out. 

Edited by MarJhi

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.