Blueeyes1989

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time-Part 2

2,811 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if once we enter the US with the one time entry visa that gets issued, can we exit right after or in a couple of days and enter again at a later point in time or do we have to stay in the US until the green card is mailed and received?

For example if I would like to come back to wrap up things back in Canada what is the best way to manage this. 

30 minutes ago, canadian85 said:

Does anyone know if once we enter the US with the one time entry visa that gets issued, can we exit right after or in a couple of days and enter again at a later point in time or do we have to stay in the US until the green card is mailed and received?

For example if I would like to come back to wrap up things back in Canada what is the best way to manage this. 

The best thing to do is go into the US asap. As they can still technically withdraw your application up until you activate it. (I have seen it happen in other groups due to further screening). 

Most people drive through the border and go through the process. It can take a couple hours. Then go back to canada the same day. Then actually move with their belongings etc on a later date as they won't be pulled into border patrol for hours on your second pass through. 

It also starts the 90 days it can take to actually recieve the green card. 

You can cross the border with just your passport as you will have the stamp in it! 

29 minutes ago, Froozion said:

The best thing to do is go into the US asap. As they can still technically withdraw your application up until you activate it. (I have seen it happen in other groups due to further screening). 

Most people drive through the border and go through the process. It can take a couple hours. Then go back to canada the same day. Then actually move with their belongings etc on a later date as they won't be pulled into border patrol for hours on your second pass through. 

It also starts the 90 days it can take to actually recieve the green card. 

You can cross the border with just your passport as you will have the stamp in it! 

Thanks for your response. Is it not a one time entry visa? 

Just now, canadian85 said:

Also won't the green card be delivered to a US address?

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
57 minutes ago, canadian85 said:

Also won't the green card be delivered to a US address?

You can use the visa in your passport until your green card arrives. Upon entry it will be extended for one year upon initial activation.

2 hours ago, Texasbound1 said:

You can use the visa in your passport until your green card arrives. Upon entry it will be extended for one year upon initial activation.

Reference ChatGPT: 

Once you enter the U.S. with your one-time entry immigrant visa (issued after your immigrant petition, such as for a green card, has been approved), you technically become a permanent resident upon your first entry. However, there are important considerations for travel after this entry, especially before you receive your actual green card.

Here’s how the process works and what to consider if you need to travel soon after entering the U.S.:

1. Stamp in Your Passport (I-551 Stamp):

• When you first enter the U.S. with the one-time entry immigrant visa, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer will place an I-551 stamp in your passport. This stamp serves as temporary evidence of your permanent resident status, and it is usually valid for one year.
  • The I-551 stamp allows you to travel internationally and re-enter the U.S. even before you receive your physical green card.

2. Travel After First Entry:

• You can leave the U.S. after your initial entry and re-enter, provided that your I-551 stamp is still valid (until your green card is physically mailed to you).
  • The I-551 stamp in your passport will act as your proof of lawful permanent resident (LPR) status, allowing you to travel in and out of the U.S. while awaiting your green card.

3. Recommended Approach:

• If you need to return to Canada or another country to wrap things up, you can do so after entering the U.S. with your immigrant visa.
  • Make sure to return to the U.S. before your I-551 stamp expires or before your green card arrives (whichever comes first).
  • It is usually advisable not to stay outside the U.S. for an extended period of time (typically not more than 6 months) during this process, as it could raise concerns about your intent to maintain permanent residency.

4. What Happens If You Stay Out for Too Long?:

• Extended absences (longer than 6 months) could lead to issues with re-entry, as the CBP might question whether you intend to live permanently in the U.S.
  • If you anticipate a prolonged stay outside the U.S., you may want to look into applying for a Re-entry Permit, which allows you to stay outside the U.S. for up to 2 years without jeopardizing your permanent resident status. However, this process must be started after your initial entry as a permanent resident.

5. Receiving the Green Card:

• Your green card is typically mailed to the U.S. address you provided within a few weeks to months after your initial entry.
  • If you need to travel while waiting for the physical green card, the I-551 stamp will serve as proof of your permanent resident status.

Best Approach:

• Enter the U.S. with your immigrant visa, get your I-551 stamp, and handle your necessary matters in the U.S.
  • If needed, travel back to Canada using your I-551 stamp for re-entry.
  • Ensure that you don’t remain outside the U.S. for too long, as it could lead to complications.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.