Blueeyes1989

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time-Part 2

2,593 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, mgsctravels said:

What kinds of questions did they ask? Anything unexpected?

Approved or AP?

My E1 visa was approved. I spent about 20 minutes with the first officer, who verified my employment letter and civil documents. Then, I had a brief interview with the second officer, who asked standard questions such as how long I’ve been with my U.S. company, the nature of my work, my highest degree, and if I’ve had any issues crossing the U.S. border. Behind the officer, there were about seven people who appeared to be in training, which suggests they are expanding their capabilities.

Good luck to everyone.

Timeline

Approved or AP?

My E1 visa was approved. I spent about 20 minutes with the first officer, who verified my employment letter and civil documents. Then, I had a brief interview with the second officer, who asked standard questions such as how long I’ve been with my U.S. company, the nature of my work, my highest degree, and if I’ve had any issues crossing the U.S. border. Behind the officer, there were about seven people who appeared to be in training, which suggests they are expanding their capabilities.

Good luck to everyone.

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
26 minutes ago, AA-H said:

Good luck to everyone.

Congratulations!  Do you mind me asking if you are born in Canada or other countries since you are not AP'd which is fantastic?

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Coco_2023 said:

Congratulations!  Do you mind me asking if you are born in Canada or other countries since you are not AP'd which is fantastic?

I was born in Morocco with dual citizenship Moroccan-Canadian 

My spouse has been travelling to US for work every week on L1 visa while we wait for the interview.  I have a few questions

1. What additional documentation may be required for my spouse during the time of interview

2. Do we need to get the FBI clearance for my spouse as it has been close to 1 year travelling weekly to US.  Do we need the PCC as this was not submitted with the civil documents. Travel started after DQ. 

3. Would frequent travel pose any issue in getting an approval? 

Just now, canadian85 said:

My spouse has been travelling to US for work every week on L1 visa while we wait for the interview.  I have a few questions

1. What additional documentation may be required for my spouse during the time of interview

2. Do we need to get the FBI clearance for my spouse as it has been close to 1 year travelling weekly to US.  Do we need the PCC as this was not submitted with the civil documents. Travel started after DQ. 

3. Would frequent travel pose any issue in getting an approval? 

I am the principal applicant and spouse is dependent on the application

19 hours ago, AA-H said:

Good luck to everyone.

Congratulations! Quick question, the USCIS announced that as of Aug 27th there was no more EB1 visas available until the next fiscal year (Oct 1st), did the agent said anything about that? Did they keep your passport to stamp it after Oct 1st? or do you have to send it in close to the 1st?

Edited by Danielle7

Timeline
1 hour ago, Danielle7 said:

Congratulations! Quick question, the USCIS announced that as of Aug 27th there was no more EB1 visas available until the next fiscal year (Oct 1st), did the agent said anything about that? Did they keep your passport to stamp it after Oct 1st? or do you have to send it in close to the 1st?

Thanks!

The officer didn’t provide any information about the availability of the EB1 visas. At the end of the interview, he only mentioned that my visa was approved, they would retain the passports, and I should expect to receive them in about ten days. He also mentioned they would try to expedite the return of the passports so I could get back to work and my children could return to school. If, as you mentioned, EB1 visas won’t be available until the next fiscal year (October 1st), why are they scheduling interviews in early September?

33 minutes ago, AA-H said:

Thanks!

The officer didn’t provide any information about the availability of the EB1 visas. At the end of the interview, he only mentioned that my visa was approved, they would retain the passports, and I should expect to receive them in about ten days. He also mentioned they would try to expedite the return of the passports so I could get back to work and my children could return to school. If, as you mentioned, EB1 visas won’t be available until the next fiscal year (October 1st), why are they scheduling interviews in early September?

Hmmm, I'm not sure, perhaps the officer knows something we don't. Again Congratulations to you and thank you for telling us about your interview experience. 

Edited by Danielle7

Visa type -EB2-NIW

Priority date aug 8th 2022

DQ date - march 30th 2023

Interview letter - Aug 7th

Interview date - sept 9th 

Status - Aproved (awaiting passports to be returned)

We received our interview letter on aug 7th. We were currently living 5 hours north of winnipeg in manitoba, so there was going to be lots of travel.

We booked our medical in toronto with dr lynden mascarenas on Aug 26th.  Before the medical we had to fill out a vaccine questionare which needed to be signed off by our family doctor to ensure all the vaccines were complete before going.

We actually arrived at the mecical about an hour early. And they were able to see us earlier than our appointment. The actual appointment was less than 10 minutes, where he only took our blood pressure. He then sent us to the basement to get x-rays and across the street to get the blood test (there was about a 20 minute wait). Overall very quick and easy. 

You then have to book the courier service for where they will return your passport to. This was pretty straight forward. 

The final thing to do was to have all your documents in order and ensure you have a photocopy of each document. 

We got to montreal a couple days before the interview and stayed at the best western europe. It was 1 block away and very easy access. There is a lot of hotels, shops and restaurants very near the embassy so there will be no issues. 

The actual embassy is not very obvious from the outside and there is a lot of road works on the street. There is a bank right next to it and embassy door is to the left. Our appointment was ay 9.45 and i had read not to arrive much earlier as you will just have to wait outside no matter the weather. So we arrived just after 9.40 and got straight in, whereas people who had arrived for 10am appointments had to wait in the street. 

The security guard then checked our passports and we went through the scanner (very much like an airport). The only thing you are allowed to take with you is your document folder. You are not allowed food, drinks, back packs, phone, smart watches, wallets. There is a small locker to put a phone and wallet. But it is tiny and would not fit anything more. So leave all your extra items at the hotel. You then go in an elevator to the first floor where you are given a number and have to wait until its called. There are bathrooms and a water fountain. 

Our appointment was at 9.45, we were called to the first desk at 10.45 and the second at 12.00pm. Its a long wait. So bring a book or magazine (no electronics). 

At the first window you just get asked for your documents and fingerprints. For us we were asked for the originals and photocopies of: 

Passport

2x passport photo

Birth certificate 

Marriage certificate (2 copies one for each person)

Police reports

We then sat and awaited the call for the second window for the interview, we got called up together. We were asked to say an oath and sign it. We then gave our fingerprints again. Then we were asked the following questions 

What does the petitioner do for work?

Have you ever lived anywhere other than canada and US? 

How many times have you traveled to the US together (petitoner and spouse) 

Were there any issues crossing the border?

Asked which previous visa we were on? (student)

Asked if we had over stayed previous student visa?

Have either of you had any criminal arrests?

Asked where we intended to move?

Asked what the spouse does for work? 

He asked if we had been married before?

He asked if we had children?

We were then told we were approved and that our passports would be mailed within 2 weeks. He then returned our original documents and we were on our way. They did keep our police reports, however we have no other reason for them, but you may want to have a copy for your own record. 

Overall very easy! Happy to answer any questions! 

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Froozion said:

Visa type -EB2-NIW

Priority date aug 8th 2022

DQ date - march 30th 2023

Interview letter - Aug 7th

Interview date - sept 9th 

Status - Aproved (awaiting passports to be returned)

We received our interview letter on aug 7th. We were currently living 5 hours north of winnipeg in manitoba, so there was going to be lots of travel.

We booked our medical in toronto with dr lynden mascarenas on Aug 26th.  Before the medical we had to fill out a vaccine questionare which needed to be signed off by our family doctor to ensure all the vaccines were complete before going.

We actually arrived at the mecical about an hour early. And they were able to see us earlier than our appointment. The actual appointment was less than 10 minutes, where he only took our blood pressure. He then sent us to the basement to get x-rays and across the street to get the blood test (there was about a 20 minute wait). Overall very quick and easy. 

You then have to book the courier service for where they will return your passport to. This was pretty straight forward. 

The final thing to do was to have all your documents in order and ensure you have a photocopy of each document. 

We got to montreal a couple days before the interview and stayed at the best western europe. It was 1 block away and very easy access. There is a lot of hotels, shops and restaurants very near the embassy so there will be no issues. 

The actual embassy is not very obvious from the outside and there is a lot of road works on the street. There is a bank right next to it and embassy door is to the left. Our appointment was ay 9.45 and i had read not to arrive much earlier as you will just have to wait outside no matter the weather. So we arrived just after 9.40 and got straight in, whereas people who had arrived for 10am appointments had to wait in the street. 

The security guard then checked our passports and we went through the scanner (very much like an airport). The only thing you are allowed to take with you is your document folder. You are not allowed food, drinks, back packs, phone, smart watches, wallets. There is a small locker to put a phone and wallet. But it is tiny and would not fit anything more. So leave all your extra items at the hotel. You then go in an elevator to the first floor where you are given a number and have to wait until its called. There are bathrooms and a water fountain. 

Our appointment was at 9.45, we were called to the first desk at 10.45 and the second at 12.00pm. Its a long wait. So bring a book or magazine (no electronics). 

At the first window you just get asked for your documents and fingerprints. For us we were asked for the originals and photocopies of: 

Passport

2x passport photo

Birth certificate 

Marriage certificate (2 copies one for each person)

Police reports

We then sat and awaited the call for the second window for the interview, we got called up together. We were asked to say an oath and sign it. We then gave our fingerprints again. Then we were asked the following questions 

What does the petitioner do for work?

Have you ever lived anywhere other than canada and US? 

How many times have you traveled to the US together (petitoner and spouse) 

Were there any issues crossing the border?

Asked which previous visa we were on? (student)

Asked if we had over stayed previous student visa?

Have either of you had any criminal arrests?

Asked where we intended to move?

Asked what the spouse does for work? 

He asked if we had been married before?

He asked if we had children?

We were then told we were approved and that our passports would be mailed within 2 weeks. He then returned our original documents and we were on our way. They did keep our police reports, however we have no other reason for them, but you may want to have a copy for your own record. 

Overall very easy! Happy to answer any questions! 

So happy for you guys, congratulations!!

Did the officer for ask any documents from your current employer?  I know you're EB2-NIW but I hear some people in our category are asked that randomly?

Also, did you get asked to provide any of the documents you previously submitted to USCIS before getting the approval letter (e.g., your PhD dissertation, your publications,  books, awards, etc.)?

23 minutes ago, Coco_2023 said:

Did the officer for ask any documents from your current employer?  I know you're EB2-NIW but I hear some people in our category are asked that randomly?

Also, did you get asked to provide any of the documents you previously submitted to USCIS before getting the approval letter (e.g., your PhD dissertation, your publications,  books, awards, etc.)?

The petitioner has a US employer but is currently working for the canada side. We did get asked if we had a letter, but said no. They didn't ask anything further. 

We carried a bunch of extra documents, undergrad and phd diplomas, cv, publications, citations etc. They didn't ask for any of it. 

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Coco_2023 said:

I have the same question. I'm EB-1 and am self-employed, so I applied with letters of interest, contracts, etc. 

As EB-1 doesn't require an offer letter, I wasn't planning on bringing one.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.