Blueeyes1989

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time-Part 2

2,327 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, huguesthomas said:

Oh ok, good to know, but does it mean that we would have to go to France for the interview and then stay in France for an unknown time until we get our passport back? My wife and I work in Canada and the US respectively, might be hard to take days off work without knowing how much in advance

Yes you would need to go to France for the interview. You can request to pick up the passport at the Consulate. So within a couple days. But generally most Consulate give 6 weeks notice of interview date. 

12 minutes ago, neds said:

Thanks @Adam RS!

He was exempted and had the card (+ official translations). 
As for documents, just the ones listed really: Birth Certificates, Passports, Police Certificate, Marriage Certificate and the exemption card. He did Ask if I have a job offer as I mentioned, but was OK with me not having one. My lawyer had given me a memo in case I am asked for job offer to show that my category is NIW but I didn’t give it because both officers knew and I think even mentioned my category. 

The second officer asked about Iranian experiences, the current company, the reason for his exemption, if we have entered US other than that on student Visa, if we have overstayed, where we want to live. I think that was it really. 

Thank you @neds for your quick reply and all the details. 
My lawyer also provided a Memo letter for me. I do not know whether I have to give it to the officer or not. 

Did the officer ask any other question about your future job in the US?
You mentioned in your previous post, what exactly did you respond to the officer when he asked for the employment/job offer? 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Adam RS said:

Thank you @neds for your quick reply and all the details. 
My lawyer also provided a Memo letter for me. I do not know whether I have to give it to the officer or not. 

Did the officer ask any other question about your future job in the US?
You mentioned in your previous post, what exactly did you respond to the officer when he asked for the employment/job offer? 

you are welcome! I think the MTL embassy is very familiar with NIW cases and it is not like they would need the memo but it is good to have it in case it appears to be a problem. 

He didn’t ask specifics, just if I already have one or if I am still in the process and I said still in the process. 

Edited by neds

44 minutes ago, huguesthomas said:

Oh ok, good to know, but does it mean that we would have to go to France for the interview and then stay in France for an unknown time until we get our passport back? My wife and I work in Canada and the US respectively, might be hard to take days off work without knowing how much in advance

Yes, you would, and you might find Paris wants proof of French residency, not just citizenship. Most consulates don't like you 'consulate shopping' and will only accept cases from those who are actually resident there - no idea if Paris is among them though, so you can always give it a try. 

Good luck. 

15 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

Yes, you would, and you might find Paris wants proof of French residency, not just citizenship. Most consulates don't like you 'consulate shopping' and will only accept cases from those who are actually resident there - no idea if Paris is among them though, so you can always give it a try. 

Good luck. 

Oh that's quite important to know indeed. Thanks for this info!

To change the consulate, do I contact NVC directly?

7 minutes ago, huguesthomas said:

Oh that's quite important to know indeed. Thanks for this info!

To change the consulate, do I contact NVC directly?

No, you need to contact Paris directly - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/national-visa-center/immigrant-visas-processing-general-faqs.html#ivp13

If your case status says at NVC, you need to contact NVC to transfer your case through their public enquiry form. Include your proof of citizenship in the attachments. That is what has worked for the multiple people I spoke with.

Switching consulates is pretty common and straightforward. Just make sure you know are prepared with all your documents and how to go about medical/biometrics for the consulate in France since you'll have to leave the country for a few weeks to go through the process.

Here is all the information for the green card consular processing at the consulate in Paris - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/PRS-Paris.html

5 minutes ago, AJSin1 said:

If your case status says at NVC, you need to contact NVC to transfer your case through their public enquiry form. Include your proof of citizenship in the attachments. That is what has worked for the multiple people I spoke with.

Switching consulates is pretty common and straightforward. Just make sure you know are prepared with all your documents and how to go about medical/biometrics for the consulate in France since you'll have to leave the country for a few weeks to go through the process.

Here is all the information for the green card consular processing at the consulate in Paris - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/PRS-Paris.html

Alright, thanks for all the details!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.