Blueeyes1989

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time-Part 2

2,326 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Texasbound1 said:

Looks like someone played around with the tracking spreadsheet and now all the dates are wrong...please be careful.

Ya, I noticed that too. Someone kept changing the username in my row. I changed it back twice. Then it changed again. I just gave up...

I have restored and older version, to fix this problem. I have had to do this twice recently. Please do not alter this spreadsheet unless you are inputting your own data. I think someone is attempting to 'sort' the spreadsheet, but is only altering one column and therefore messing up the whole spreadsheet. Unless you have anything to add, please don't alter it. 

5 hours ago, Froozion said:

You can enter on the immigrant green card and then exit on the same day and cross back over whenever and as many times as you need. Many people cross to 'activate' it. Then immediately return to canada as they have loose ends to tie up. I believe the first crossing can take a bit longer with border patrol. So they don't want to do it with pets etc. 

You will then be able to freely travel over the border and it will start the official green card and SSN process of being sent out. It can take 90 days. 

That is the issue, I don’t want to activate it. I just want to cross over on TN. The moment you activate the taxation rules are applicable. Has impacts to RESP/TFSA/house sale/dividend withholding etc etc. I first want to close these loose ends before activating

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, TheMaverick said:

That is the issue, I don’t want to activate it. I just want to cross over on TN. The moment you activate the taxation rules are applicable. Has impacts to RESP/TFSA/house sale/dividend withholding etc etc. I first want to close these loose ends before activating

May be post this question on top level Canadian thread. You will get the answer from moderator of VJ forum.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/93-canada/

Edited by Leo The Great

I all,

I am new to Visajourney, just discovered the website while searching for waiting times for my visa appointment. Here is my situation:

Case: EB1

Country of Citizenship: France

Country of Residence: Canada

Interview Consulate: Montreal

Priority date: CURRENT

DQ date: April 18, 2024

So if I am reading this thread correctly I should expect 1 to 2 years before I even get a letter for my appointment date? Why is the Montreal consulate so slow? I hear other countries are much faster...

Best,

Hugues

11 hours ago, neds said:

Hello All, 

We had our interview on May 23 and our visas were approved. 

Wanted to mention some information in here in case it is useful for others.

Our case was EB-2 NIW, DQ Nov 2022. Both born in Iran. We lived in US on F1 Visa for more than 4 years and had never entered US other than that. We didn’t have a job offer.
So the interview went great. As everyone mentioned here, one officer took our original documents and a copy of our passports. Asked general questions. Then we sat for the interview. 
The interview then took less than 30 minutes and it went smoothly. Officer was very nice during the interview. we were asked if we have a job offer (by both officers) to which we replied we are in the process and we do not have an offer yet. The officer asked about our past experiences and where we want to live and similar questions. 
He then took a couple of minutes taking notes after which he congratulated us and told us our Visas are approved. 

BTW around the MTL embassy is all under construction and it is a good idea if you get a nearby hotel or arrive sooner. 

All the best to everyone in this process. 

Hi @neds Congratulations on your visa approval. Very good news. 

I will have the interview this Friday, May 31st. Would you please let me know what other documents (in addition to those listed the Montreal website) the first or second officer asked you to give to them?
Did you husband do the military service or he has the exemption card?
What other questions the second officer ask?
Thank you!

24 minutes ago, huguesthomas said:

I all,

I am new to Visajourney, just discovered the website while searching for waiting times for my visa appointment. Here is my situation:

So if I am reading this thread correctly I should expect 1 to 2 years before I even get a letter for my appointment date? Why is the Montreal consulate so slow? I hear other countries are much faster...

Best,

Hugues

Yes Montreal is the one of the slowest consulates to process applications and are also notorious for putting many applicants through administrative processing that adds about an additional year in processing. 

You should do some research on the US consulate in France and check the processing times there. You can easily transfer your case to France based on your citizenship. I know a bunch of people who have moved their cases and gotten approved way faster. I'm planning to move my case as well.

45 minutes ago, huguesthomas said:

I all,

Best,

Hugues

Yeah we have seen someone use the France consulate. They got their invite within a couple of weeks and were all done within 3 months. Definitely move it to France. 

12 minutes ago, Froozion said:

Yeah we have seen someone use the France consulate. They got their invite within a couple of weeks and were all done within 3 months. Definitely move it to France. 

Oh ok, good to know, but does it mean that we would have to go to France for the interview and then stay in France for an unknown time until we get our passport back? My wife and I work in Canada and the US respectively, might be hard to take days off work without knowing how much in advance

15 minutes ago, Adam RS said:

Hi @neds Congratulations on your visa approval. Very good news. 

I will have the interview this Friday, May 31st. Would you please let me know what other documents (in addition to those listed the Montreal website) the first or second officer asked you to give to them?
Did you husband do the military service or he has the exemption card?
What other questions the second officer ask?
Thank you!

Thanks @Adam RS!

He was exempted and had the card (+ official translations). 
As for documents, just the ones listed really: Birth Certificates, Passports, Police Certificate, Marriage Certificate and the exemption card. He did Ask if I have a job offer as I mentioned, but was OK with me not having one. My lawyer had given me a memo in case I am asked for job offer to show that my category is NIW but I didn’t give it because both officers knew and I think even mentioned my category. 

The second officer asked about Iranian experiences, the current company, the reason for his exemption, if we have entered US other than that on student Visa, if we have overstayed, where we want to live. I think that was it really. 

4 minutes ago, neds said:

Thanks @Adam RS!

He was exempted and had the card (+ official translations). 
As for documents, just the ones listed really: Birth Certificates, Passports, Police Certificate, Marriage Certificate and the exemption card. He did Ask if I have a job offer as I mentioned, but was OK with me not having one. My lawyer had given me a memo in case I am asked for job offer to show that my category is NIW but I didn’t give it because both officers knew and I think even mentioned my category. 

The second officer asked about Iranian experiences, the current company, the reason for his exemption, if we have entered US other than that on student Visa, if we have overstayed, where we want to live. I think that was it really. 

How old was your police certificate?

I am hearing conflicting requirements....either 1 or 2 years old.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.