Blueeyes1989

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time-Part 2

2,727 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, immishok said:

I guess it would depend on your FSC among other things. But it's quite random, generally you should expect ~ 6 months on average (although officers tell applicants that it'll done in 60 days).

I am pretty sure that most Consulate Officers stop mentioning how long it takes now. They have a standard word phrase to use: "weeks to months". 

EB-2 NIW in AP since May 2023

On 8/1/2023 at 9:08 AM, DrJh07 said:

My wife's and my daughter's visa were finally issued! 

Their interview was on July 27.

Our timeline:

March 2020: I got my green card. (Since my wife and my daughter weren't in the US with me, they couldn't apply with me)

Nov 2020: I-824 approved

June 2021: DQed 

May 2023: IL

July 27, 2023: Interview: Visa status: Refused: They got 221g (white) because they had to check my wife's previous US entry. She got denied at the US border once when she was on J2 due to the border officer's error. The Visa officer kept their passports. The visa officer told my wife that they will call her if they need more info.

Aug 1, 2023: Visa status: Issued. 

Congrats! Told you the fact that they kept your passports is a good sign, ha!

10 hours ago, ALC said:

Figured I’d write up my interview experiences, now that I have a bit more time and mental clarity. I have gone through a few visa interviews in my life, but still appreciated reading other people’s experience at MTL in particular in preparation for mine.

My interview was scheduled for 8:45 on 7/26, and I actually arrived closer to 9. Was let in without issue. I carried one of those string bags (Nike sports bag) with my documents and a book, I thought I’d have to fold it up and store it in the locker along with my phone, but was told the bag was ok to be brought up to the 2nd floor, after it being scanned through the X-ray machine.

After getting upstairs, the experience is almost identical to what people have written here before - they gave you a number downstairs after checking the passport and confirm the appointment. Once you arrive to the 2nd floor via an elevator, you can sit and wait in the waiting area. Then they call the number to the first set of windows to collect the original documents such as passport, police certificate, birth certificate, employment letter etc. Then you wait for the actual interview, which is at another set of windows.

One thing that surprised me is that the the whole process is apparently completely paper based, my folder contained the dossier my lawyers submitted to USCIS for my EB2-NIW case 4 and half years ago (with all the supporting recommendation letters, publications, references etc.) as well as the biographical documents submitted to NVC 2 years ago… Mine was only about an inch thick, but the file from the person before me was literally about a foot tall… Seems like one would mail the dossier to USCIS, they’d review and mail the package to NVC if/when approved, NVC then physically stores the paper file until they mail it to consulates around the world in time for interview… This really blows my mind, you’d think they’d have digitized this by now!

I digress… I Waited for about half an hour between doc check and the actual interview. Both the doc check lady and the CO were female, both very pleasant and lovely with some exchanging of pleasantries and small talk.

The interview questions were pretty standard too, and they are definitely based on your individual history and circumstances, which can be seen from the system they are using. First is the oath to tell the truth; I was then asked about my schooling and work; also if I had an employment letter. There was a bit of confusion on this one - the document intake lady asked for an employment letter, to which I told her since I am EB2-NIW, I don’t need one, but I offered her the memo my lawyer wrote, along with the I-797 indicating the EB2-NIW, as well as a letter from one of my clients in the US talking about me doing research for them, which more than satisfies the NIW requirements. However she didn’t end up taking it, assuming she just marked on my file of me not having (needing?) one. When the same question came up during the interview, I told the CO the same thing, and she said “oh so you actually have the employment letter”, and took the aforementioned 3 documents, but made a comment that my file isn’t clearly marked for NIW, which usually should have been the case. Who knows, my file was approved right before COVID and during the late stage of the Trump years, USCIS was probably hot mess at that point… She also asked me to explain my work as if I am “explaining it to a poli-sci major”, which I thought was pretty funny. She asked a couple of follow up questions and clarifications on how to type a few specific words about my research.

She also asked if I ever had trouble crossing the border, which I had during covid; she can see I traveled to the US quite frequently, so I was asked why and if I had ever been in the US illegally etc., obviously no; I was also asked for the 5 year travel history, I gave her the 15 year history I had prepared in anticipation for DS-5535, she saw Cuba on there so asked if that’s just for tourism, which was the case.

She also asked that I have applied for and received non-immigrant visas in the past, which I assumed was rhetorical. This part is a bit foreshadowing because at the beginnings of the Trump years, I had been put through the SAO process during the application process of a non-immigrant visa, they asked for my resume and said additional processing needs to be done in DC, before they can approve it. I checked my records, that process took a total of 3 weeks between when I emailed them my resume and receiving the clearance, and I got an email asking for my passport the very next day (I actually missed that email, ended up waiting for another month for no reason before inquiring, to which they replied promptly, lol).

Towards the end, she printed out a piece of paper, handed to me saying that unfortunately they can’t approved my visa at the moment, additional checks are needed, in addition needing to confirm my case was indeed NIW, which I interpreted as very much of a secondary reason. I was told I will be receiving an email in the next day or two with further instructions (the email came the next morning); to which I asked “and you don’t know how long it’s gonna take either?”. She replied “no, because it’s not done in house (I assumed in DC), but since you have gone through this once before, hopefully it will be quick”.

Given all the anecdotal evidence - being a Chinese born, American trained engineer, and her comments about the checks aren’t done in house - I am pretty sure I am flagged for SAO, the DS-5535 is probably more of a formality, since all the information asked on there, for me at least, is already covered in DS-260, and I brought my 15 year travel history and resume with me…

Let’s see how long it will take this time…

It is sad that after all these waiting times, they can't even handle your paperwork properly... 

14 hours ago, ALC said:

Figured I’d write up my interview experiences, now that I have a bit more time and mental clarity. I have gone through a few visa interviews in my life, but still appreciated reading other people’s experience at MTL in particular in preparation for mine.

My interview was scheduled for 8:45 on 7/26, and I actually arrived closer to 9. Was let in without issue. I carried one of those string bags (Nike sports bag) with my documents and a book, I thought I’d have to fold it up and store it in the locker along with my phone, but was told the bag was ok to be brought up to the 2nd floor, after it being scanned through the X-ray machine.

After getting upstairs, the experience is almost identical to what people have written here before - they gave you a number downstairs after checking the passport and confirm the appointment. Once you arrive to the 2nd floor via an elevator, you can sit and wait in the waiting area. Then they call the number to the first set of windows to collect the original documents such as passport, police certificate, birth certificate, employment letter etc. Then you wait for the actual interview, which is at another set of windows.

One thing that surprised me is that the the whole process is apparently completely paper based, my folder contained the dossier my lawyers submitted to USCIS for my EB2-NIW case 4 and half years ago (with all the supporting recommendation letters, publications, references etc.) as well as the biographical documents submitted to NVC 2 years ago… Mine was only about an inch thick, but the file from the person before me was literally about a foot tall… Seems like one would mail the dossier to USCIS, they’d review and mail the package to NVC if/when approved, NVC then physically stores the paper file until they mail it to consulates around the world in time for interview… This really blows my mind, you’d think they’d have digitized this by now!

I digress… I Waited for about half an hour between doc check and the actual interview. Both the doc check lady and the CO were female, both very pleasant and lovely with some exchanging of pleasantries and small talk.

The interview questions were pretty standard too, and they are definitely based on your individual history and circumstances, which can be seen from the system they are using. First is the oath to tell the truth; I was then asked about my schooling and work; also if I had an employment letter. There was a bit of confusion on this one - the document intake lady asked for an employment letter, to which I told her since I am EB2-NIW, I don’t need one, but I offered her the memo my lawyer wrote, along with the I-797 indicating the EB2-NIW, as well as a letter from one of my clients in the US talking about me doing research for them, which more than satisfies the NIW requirements. However she didn’t end up taking it, assuming she just marked on my file of me not having (needing?) one. When the same question came up during the interview, I told the CO the same thing, and she said “oh so you actually have the employment letter”, and took the aforementioned 3 documents, but made a comment that my file isn’t clearly marked for NIW, which usually should have been the case. Who knows, my file was approved right before COVID and during the late stage of the Trump years, USCIS was probably hot mess at that point… She also asked me to explain my work as if I am “explaining it to a poli-sci major”, which I thought was pretty funny. She asked a couple of follow up questions and clarifications on how to type a few specific words about my research.

She also asked if I ever had trouble crossing the border, which I had during covid; she can see I traveled to the US quite frequently, so I was asked why and if I had ever been in the US illegally etc., obviously no; I was also asked for the 5 year travel history, I gave her the 15 year history I had prepared in anticipation for DS-5535, she saw Cuba on there so asked if that’s just for tourism, which was the case.

She also asked that I have applied for and received non-immigrant visas in the past, which I assumed was rhetorical. This part is a bit foreshadowing because at the beginnings of the Trump years, I had been put through the SAO process during the application process of a non-immigrant visa, they asked for my resume and said additional processing needs to be done in DC, before they can approve it. I checked my records, that process took a total of 3 weeks between when I emailed them my resume and receiving the clearance, and I got an email asking for my passport the very next day (I actually missed that email, ended up waiting for another month for no reason before inquiring, to which they replied promptly, lol).

Towards the end, she printed out a piece of paper, handed to me saying that unfortunately they can’t approved my visa at the moment, additional checks are needed, in addition needing to confirm my case was indeed NIW, which I interpreted as very much of a secondary reason. I was told I will be receiving an email in the next day or two with further instructions (the email came the next morning); to which I asked “and you don’t know how long it’s gonna take either?”. She replied “no, because it’s not done in house (I assumed in DC), but since you have gone through this once before, hopefully it will be quick”.

Given all the anecdotal evidence - being a Chinese born, American trained engineer, and her comments about the checks aren’t done in house - I am pretty sure I am flagged for SAO, the DS-5535 is probably more of a formality, since all the information asked on there, for me at least, is already covered in DS-260, and I brought my 15 year travel history and resume with me…

I also visited Cuba. Maybe that's why we are flagged for SAO.

17 hours ago, ALC said:

Your interview sounds much more complex than mine, and even more drama...

hi everyone, 

I had a few questions:

1. About entry to the US - my company is working on transferring me to the US since I now have the IV approval. Can I enter the US for landing before the transfer comes through, while continuing working for the Canadian branch of my company? Or would that have any issues later on, say during citizenship?

2. Those of you who already had a SSN previously in the US and applied for one with the IV - does the SSN remain the same and SSA just issues a new card with the same number? 

Thank you!

10 hours ago, New_123 said:

hi everyone, 

I had a few questions:

1. About entry to the US - my company is working on transferring me to the US since I now have the IV approval. Can I enter the US for landing before the transfer comes through, while continuing working for the Canadian branch of my company? Or would that have any issues later on, say during citizenship?

2. Those of you who already had a SSN previously in the US and applied for one with the IV - does the SSN remain the same and SSA just issues a new card with the same number? 

Thank you!

I believe you can land in the US while continuing to work for your Canadian branch. But take note of the date of landing for tax purposes, as you are now a tax resident of the USA.

If your previous SSN had "Valid for Work only with DHS Authorization", then you will likely get a new SSN without that limitation.

Edited by SGtoMurica

13 hours ago, SGtoMurica said:

I believe you can land in the US while continuing to work for your Canadian branch. But take note of the date of landing for tax purposes, as you are now a tax resident of the USA.

If your previous SSN had "Valid for Work only with DHS Authorization", then you will likely get a new SSN without that limitation.

Thanks, @SGtoMurica! :) 

I'm wondering if they can give me a new number as SSN is unique. I might get a new card with the same number but without that limitation, maybe? 

12 hours ago, New_123 said:

Thanks, @SGtoMurica! :) 

I'm wondering if they can give me a new number as SSN is unique. I might get a new card with the same number but without that limitation, maybe? 

You're welcome.

Your SSN number will stay the same, but a new card without those words can be issued.

Edited by SGtoMurica

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.