Blueeyes1989

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time-Part 2

2,743 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Texasbound1 said:

Consulate website updated with no change to employment visas. I am not really sure how they calculate the dates since so many people have been receiving interview letters lately but the January 2021 date remained static for another month. Could it be due to Chinese and Indian applicants being retrogressed?

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 11.51.04 AM.png

They are probably sandbagging, I'd honestly go with our G Drive Spreadsheet. 

13 minutes ago, throwitaway said:

I walked across the rainbow bridge, entered the US, then walked back. In and out in less than 20 minutes. 

What about importing cars or other household items? Do we need to declare everything during first visa activation visit?

Also, how much time do we generally have before final move to the US. I will need to sell my house or rent it out, wife needs to find a new job, etc. which may take some time. 

49 minutes ago, topman said:

What about importing cars or other household items? Do we need to declare everything during first visa activation visit?

Also, how much time do we generally have before final move to the US. I will need to sell my house or rent it out, wife needs to find a new job, etc. which may take some time. 

You only declare what you’re crossing with at the time. 

Generally, if you are absent from the US:

< 6 months you can preserve continuous residence for  naturalization

> 6 months you break continuous residence for naturalization 

> 12 months you risk abandonment of LPR status

YMMV

24 minutes ago, farzady said:

Do I need to go somewhere to apply for SSN and GC?

Before crossing, be sure to pay your immigrant visa fee. Your visa packet should have instructions on how to do this. In your DS260 you would have indicated an address to send your green card. Once you cross, the green card will be sent to that address. It can take 1-6 months, I got mine in less than a month. 

You would have also indicated in your DS260 if you would like an SSN produced. If you chose yes, like the green card it will be sent to that address. It comes quite fast, 1-2 weeks. 

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

During the interview process, do they ask about your current work position or only what type of work you would be performing in the US? I ask because I am looking to switch my career focus slightly from what I was approved for (EB2-NIW) even though I plan to do exactly what I was approved for in the US once I receive my green card. Just trying to see if it would somehow hurt my chances of being approved and obviously would just stick to the exact same career focus if its a potential issue.

Entering the United States from Highway 15 today, We waited in the lobby for more than an hour, and finally called our name. Maybe there are few businesses like activating green card. A boss taught his subordinates how to take pictures and input information. He did it very carefully. Then we changed the mailing address of our green card. Finally, another department staff checked the information and finally stamped our visa. The supervisor congratulated us on becoming a permanent resident of the United States. He explained a little bit about when the green card will be sent out. Because they only took a photo of my son, we asked if we don’t need to take a photo for fingerprints. The boss said no need, and asked us if we want to take fingerprints again? We laughed and said" no", then the boss asked if we are going back to Canada now? We said yes, we will move to the US when we are ready, he asked about when, and said it would be fine, and the whole process would be like this.

9 hours ago, Lkkclub123 said:

Entering the United States from Highway 15 today, We waited in the lobby for more than an hour, and finally called our name. Maybe there are few businesses like activating green card. A boss taught his subordinates how to take pictures and input information. He did it very carefully. Then we changed the mailing address of our green card. Finally, another department staff checked the information and finally stamped our visa. The supervisor congratulated us on becoming a permanent resident of the United States. He explained a little bit about when the green card will be sent out. Because they only took a photo of my son, we asked if we don’t need to take a photo for fingerprints. The boss said no need, and asked us if we want to take fingerprints again? We laughed and said" no", then the boss asked if we are going back to Canada now? We said yes, we will move to the US when we are ready, he asked about when, and said it would be fine, and the whole process would be like this.

Congratulations! They did not tell you that you need to stay in US until you receive your green card.

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It was a long journey for me. my application was started on 2019 and I was told it just takes something around 8 months to get the visa but I received it after 4 yrs.

Thank you YJ members, you guys help me a lot during this frustrating time and I hope the process will back on track and rest of pending applications will get their visas on time.

6 minutes ago, farzady said:

It was a long journey for me. my application was started on 2019 and I was told it just takes something around 8 months to get the visa but I received it after 4 yrs.

Thank you YJ members, you guys help me a lot during this frustrating time and I hope the process will back on track and rest of pending applications will get their visas on time.

Congratulations and wish you all the best

2 hours ago, Lkkclub123 said:

The stamp on the visa is a temporary green card, valid for one year

IMG20230608115921.jpg

This is the first time I  heard that to return to US, we don't need a greencard.

I reviewed you doc, it says "your passport with your visa and entry stamp as evidence of your status as a permanent resident"

It doesn't say we can use it to enter US, and I didn't see one year valid.

Edited by AliceVancouver

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.