cararyn

Need advice on leaving the US before receiving AP or Green card

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
On 7/30/2022 at 5:56 AM, nastra30 said:

They played the system. They'll be found out at some point. And definitely be found out if she decides to naturalize.

I wonder what would happen if they were found out though given she’s already got the 10 year green card at this point. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 minutes ago, cararyn said:

I wonder what would happen if they were found out though given she’s already got the 10 year green card at this point. 

EVERYTHING is reviewed when a Green Card holder applies for naturalization.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 7/30/2022 at 9:35 AM, Fischbacher said:

This is really not a story your friend should recount given that’s… very generously lets call it questionably legal.

Exactly!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
8 hours ago, cararyn said:

Nothing good, and your friend should take to a lawyer asap.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Definitely apply for an expedite with AP - when we did back in June, case got approved in a week and the combo card came in the mail about 5 weeks later. 

I know every case is unique and every agent is different, but we weren't asked for evidence either (although we had it). 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
3 minutes ago, pasharapov said:

Definitely apply for an expedite with AP - when we did back in June, case got approved in a week and the combo card came in the mail about 5 weeks later. 

I know every case is unique and every agent is different, but we weren't asked for evidence either (although we had it). 

I wish. We’re due to receive our AP approval literally any day now but he can’t stand being here and he can’t take not knowing when it’s going to come so I’ve explained many times the options and consequences but he’s reached his limit. ☹️

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
30 minutes ago, cararyn said:

I wish. We’re due to receive our AP approval literally any day now but he can’t stand being here and he can’t take not knowing when it’s going to come so I’ve explained many times the options and consequences but he’s reached his limit. ☹️

I can imagine - when family is involved, you can't really say no to him. Hang in there, call USCIS relentlessly and at least try to get a date. In the mean time get proof that his mother is sick and any other evidence he can get. Find something to occupy his time to make the days fly by faster. If she's literally on her death bed and can pass any day, I would let him go. Then come up with plan B (like living in a different country where the system isn't so messed up). 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
On 7/29/2022 at 3:12 PM, cararyn said:

Long story short, my husband wants to go home to his country for a bit but we don't have his AP or Green card yet. I know that if he leaves without receiving either, we are abandoning the AOS application altogether. If in the future he wants to come again, does that mean we have to fill out the I-130 form and start all over? The weird thing would be that we have a marriage license from the US. Not sure if that would make a difference or not. Thank you. 

If he leaves, just know the embassy will not make his case a priority to reissue a new visa. There’s a wife in one of my online groups who husband left the country before they approved his travel document. His visa expired so he has to make a new appointment to see a consular officer. The wife has been emailing and calling the embassy and they have yet to schedule her husband an appointment. I guess they feel like he was issued a visa once, so they are not going to push you ahead of others who have not been heard. To answer your question, no he will not have to do the entire process again. The I-131 has a section for those who are outside of the country. You just have to fill that part out and submit it to USCIS. So you can only guess how long that will take 😉

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Ankomah said:

The I-131 has a section for those who are outside of the country.

Except he is not a resident.  He has no travel document or basis to re-enter the US. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

4 minutes ago, Ankomah said:

The I-131 has a section for those who are outside of the country. You just have to fill that part out and submit it to USCIS. So you can only guess how long that will take 😉

The I-131 is used for other processes ( such as Humanitarian Parole for those outside the US and Re Entry Permit for LPRs) but that section does NOT apply to AP, and if one leaves before it’s approved, the I-485 is considered abandoned.

On 7/29/2022 at 12:12 PM, cararyn said:

Long story short, my husband wants to go home to his country for a bit but we don't have his AP or Green card yet. I know that if he leaves without receiving either, we are abandoning the AOS application altogether. If in the future he wants to come again, does that mean we have to fill out the I-130 form and start all over? The weird thing would be that we have a marriage license from the US. Not sure if that would make a difference or not. Thank you. 

He can request to go through consular processing 

I honestly don’t recommend leaving without an AP, it takes so long and so much money to do this overseas. I’m in this situation right now and I hate being stuck abroad while my life is on hold back in the States for 3 years now  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.