2,958 posts in this topic

On 4/1/2023 at 2:44 PM, ak47 said:

Hi,

But your interview was on March 6, so the usual wait time is 60 days before filing WOM.  Have to sent the DS5535 info ?

60 days is certainly not the usual wait time to file WOM.  In general, it isn't done before 6-12 months in.  At 60 days, you're still within normal processing/background check time.

On 4/17/2023 at 12:46 PM, APRIL2023 said:

That’s exactly it! Up to this point all forms and completed paperwork are tracked and barcoded. There’s no official data online that states the exact wait time, just the general 60 days resolution. I feel like I’m stuck at a system that’s intentionally designed to be opaque, while I don’t know how I got flagged the first place. 

Still waiting for the DS5535 from consulate…

There is no published processing times for AP, like there is for petitions and visas.   Can last days to years.

On 4/19/2023 at 10:51 AM, ajxl888 said:

Got it.  Yeah, they kept mine but got DS-5535'd yesterday.  I just got an email though from them saying my passport is being sent back along with the Purolator tracking number.  So just a little confused.

What is confusing about that?  You are now in AP, and the consulate does not need your passport until they are ready to issue the visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
20 hours ago, SalishSea said:

60 days is certainly not the usual wait time to file WOM.  In general, it isn't done before 6-12 months in.  At 60 days, you're still within normal processing/background check time.

I filed my WOM after 90 days and got my visa in the end. The duration of the wait to file had zero effect on the result.

Some others got motions to dismiss based on not having waited too long but this was actually luck of the draw since they waited longer than me. Some had shorter wait times and got no motions to dismiss. All eventually got their visas. 

Absolutely DO NOT wait 6-12 months to file WOM. It does nothing to help your case and only hurts you to wait. 

My lawsuit took about 4.5 months from filing  to get approved. DO NOT WAIT 6-12 months to file as you will only draw things out longer for yourseld.

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, mymissingpiece said:

I filed my WOM after 90 days and got my visa in the end. The duration of the wait to file had zero effect on the result.

Some others got motions to dismiss based on not having waited too long but this was actually luck of the draw since they waited longer than me. Some had shorter wait times and got no motions to dismiss. All eventually got their visas. 

Absolutely DO NOT wait 6-12 months to file WOM. It does nothing to help your case and only hurts you to wait. 

My lawsuit took about 4.5 months from filing  to get approved. DO NOT WAIT 6-12 months to file as you will only draw things out longer for yourseld.

@mymissingpiece How much did the WoM cost for you in total?

Did you file it thru a lawyer or by your own?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
8 hours ago, Coco_2023 said:

@mymissingpiece How much did the WoM cost for you in total?

Did you file it thru a lawyer or by your own?

$5.5k USD through Goldstein. Service wasn’t the best, but got the job done. I don’t think you can file a lawsuit on your own

Hi All 

We are a K1 visa stuck in DS5535 Montreal since more than a year, got requests for new medical, passport, pics and DS160 on 29th Dec 2022. 18th Jan 2023 sent everything in took Consulate so long to review that the RCMP police cert expired on 16th March 2023, sent in a new one by ourselves by Fedex WITHOUT their request on 20th March.

Was in ‘Refused’ status since 1 year then went to ‘Application received’ on 22nd March then Refused again on 6th April and now it went to Administrative processing. 

Can anyone please provide some info as to WHAT is going on? Why is it ‘Administrative Processing’ and not Approved like others? 

Please any info can clear out our confusion 😞 so stressed out. 

DF59364D-CA2F-42B5-A165-2341C0983B65.jpeg

Timeline
1 hour ago, oclus said:

Hi All 

We are a K1 visa stuck in DS5535 Montreal since more than a year, got requests for new medical, passport, pics and DS160 on 29th Dec 2022. 18th Jan 2023 sent everything in took Consulate so long to review that the RCMP police cert expired on 16th March 2023, sent in a new one by ourselves by Fedex WITHOUT their request on 20th March.

Was in ‘Refused’ status since 1 year then went to ‘Application received’ on 22nd March then Refused again on 6th April and now it went to Administrative processing. 

Can anyone please provide some info as to WHAT is going on? Why is it ‘Administrative Processing’ and not Approved like others? 

I think this is a very good sign. You are probably just days away from 'Issued'. 

16 hours ago, oclus said:

Hi All 

Administrative Processing status in CEAC is often associated with the visa printing process nowadays. Congrats! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Maybe someone can answer this. What does the embassy actually do after they receive the DS5535 back? My case status is still refused (obviously) but has had the "last updated" change every single day this week.

6 hours ago, PanFriedTofu said:

Maybe someone can answer this. What does the embassy actually do after they receive the DS5535 back? My case status is still refused (obviously) but has had the "last updated" change every single day this week.

It gets sent off for clearance with one or more three letter agencies, who run your information. There are different types of “hits” and each has a protocol. 

Edited by throwitaway

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/25/2023 at 9:35 AM, ShawnK said:

Hi, sorry you are in this process. 

They usually send it by the next day or after a week or two, a few posters here waited about 2-3 weeks.

I would just send them a very kindly worded and short reminder email, ensure your case# and name in the   line. You can even put "please send the Ds5535 form" in the subject line.

Send it to Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov

They will send it to you this week or next.

Also, ensure you check your junk/spam folder.

Again, sorry you are here, hope you clear fast. I'm praying for all of us to clear.

Thank you for this. I have sent two emails to the consulate already. I’m really hoping that they have not forgotten my case. In the second email, I have included information for what were easels in the DS5535 form. I figured that it wouldn’t hurt to include them anyways. 

Since my interview, I have returned to US to visit my husband and be with my two children. No issues at the border as I have a return ticket as proof. 

Just wondering… has anyone tried to apply for a TN visa while their IV is pending? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Of interest, perhaps.  

As stated in the comments, not simple.  But awareness is a good thing. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.