2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ashley28888 said:

Hello, 

i received ds5535 as well

interview date October 21st - Friday. 
got an email from them on  24th October asking for additional documents. 

Does anyone know How much time do they take to verify paperwork and go thru that ? 

they have my passport

If you have travel plans, i would advise getting your passport back. They kept my passport after the interview and held it for 9 months until they issued my visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 10/24/2022 at 7:57 PM, Filcan said:

Fyi, got my visa today. Had our interview on jan 4th, received ds-5535 on the same day. Ap cleared on July and was asked to redo my medical. Submitted the new medical on August. Ceac status updated to issued on oct 11. Consulate shipped visa on the 20th.

Am I reading this correctly that it took three months from asking you for a new medical to getting your visa in-hand?? It took over a month for the status to change to issued after you submitted the medical? That all seems crazy.

Did you file a lawsuit?

Edited by mymissingpiece

Timeline
30 minutes ago, mymissingpiece said:

Am I reading this correctly that it took three months from asking you for a new medical to getting your visa in-hand?? It took over a month for the status to change to issued after you submitted the medical? That all seems crazy.

Did you file a lawsuit?

Took 2 months to issue my visa from the time the new medical was sent. No lawsuit. 

They requested new medical on july 14. I was able to book a july 27th appoint for my new medical. New medical was electronically sent on august 11. Status updated to issued on october 11.

Edited by Filcan
None

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Filcan said:

Correct! Exactly 3 months it turned to issued. August 11, the medical was sent according to the dr’s office. October 11, the status updated to issued. On my visa though, it said the visa was issued on october 20.

no lawsuit by the way.

That sucks you waited so long, but at least you have it now! We filed a lawsuit July 26 and just got asked for a new medical Oct 14. The medical should be submitted to the consulate tomorrow. Really hoping we don’t have to wait another 2+ months too 😣

Timeline
6 minutes ago, mymissingpiece said:

That sucks you waited so long, but at least you have it now! We filed a lawsuit July 26 and just got asked for a new medical Oct 14. The medical should be submitted to the consulate tomorrow. Really hoping we don’t have to wait another 2+ months too 😣

I suggest that you send an email to the consulate once your medical is sent to let them know. If your medical gets sent electronically, consulate won’t acknowledge receipt. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
11 hours ago, mymissingpiece said:

from my personal experience. I've noticed that the 2 month wait is standard once you submit something during this process. Though I am sure there may be others for which it was more or less than 2 months. Prayerfully, things speed up for all of us who are in limbo. 

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

February 2021 - Sent I-130

July 2021 - Sent expedite request

July 2021 - Approved 

August 2021 - NVC Welcome Letters

November 2021 - NVC requests missing documents

December 2021 - Submitted missing docs to NVC

May 2022  Notice of interview appointment

June 2022 - Interview + put in AP

March 2023 - AP complete + second medical requested by consulate

April 2023 - new medical submitted, visa status changed to issued

May 2023 - Entry into US

Timeline
18 hours ago, Ashley28888 said:

Hello, 

i received ds5535 as well

interview date October 21st - Friday. 
got an email from them on  24th October asking for additional documents. 

Does anyone know How much time do they take to verify paperwork and go thru that ? 

they have my passport

Our interview was on June 8, we received DS 5535 on June 9th, and replied by June 10th. They kept my husband's passport too, and four months later we are still waiting. Hopefully that gives you an idea. We have not asked for his passport back but we are seriously contemplating on going for a WOM if we don't hear anything by November. 

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

July 2021 - Approved 

May 2023 - Entry into US

56 minutes ago, PZibran325 said:

Our interview was on June 8, we received DS 5535 on June 9th, and replied by June 10th. They kept my husband's passport too, and four months later we are still waiting. Hopefully that gives you an idea. We have not asked for his passport back but we are seriously contemplating on going for a WOM if we don't hear anything by November. 

So interesting, we have the same dates! Good luck to you 

Timeline
21 minutes ago, throwitaway said:

So interesting, we have the same dates! Good luck to you 

good luck to you too my friend. praying for all of us to be united with our loved ones. 

Edited by PZibran325

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

July 2021 - Approved 

May 2023 - Entry into US

1 hour ago, PZibran325 said:

Keep in mind that December are holidays for all the agencies involved. Probably best to wait for January.

Timeline

Apologies to everyone, I’m new here and waiting for my interview at Montreal, trying to understand the process

can someone explain to me on the 221g and DS5535 and why it was issued? My understanding is the interview resulted in a refusal and additional docs and checks are required 

hoping to not run into this after my interview, sounds like it adds a lot more delays

Timeline
57 minutes ago, michael_n1988 said:

Apologies to everyone, I’m new here and waiting for my interview at Montreal, trying to understand the process

can someone explain to me on the 221g and DS5535 and why it was issued? My understanding is the interview resulted in a refusal and additional docs and checks are required 

hoping to not run into this after my interview, sounds like it adds a lot more delays

there's really no clear answer as to why this is issued. my mom got it for no reason. they passed my step dad in that same interview.

ive also read that they approve people during the interview and then later once they sent emails saying that need to submit DS 5535. seems like there's no rhyme or reasoning to this.

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

4 hours ago, michael_n1988 said:

221g is a blanket term for “temporary” refusal, either because something is missing, more security checks need to be done, or the consulate needs to review the application more closely for whatever reason.

If you are issued a 221g, and it’s for background checks, you will be given the DS-5535 form for “extreme vetting.” It asks for personal information from the last 15 years. Multiple agencies receive this information and must return a opinion on you before Montreal can reconsider your application. This can take a really long time. 

In most other embassies, this form is rarely requested, at least relatively speaking. Montreal appears to use this form more frequently, or rather, disproportionately given the typical  demographic that interviews at Montreal, and that the US already has access to Canadian information databases in a very unique way.

Sometimes, 221g can be overcome quickly if they are just waiting on a missing document, like a correct police certificate, or an incomplete medical. However, if you are unlucky to receive 5535 as part of it, it’s likely you will be waiting for months, and sometimes years before your application is adjudicated again. Very rarely 5535 is resolved in less than a month or two. Some speculate that missing documents can increase your chances of receiving 5535. I went with all my documents plus more,  but I got it anyway.

Nobody knows why Montreal is doing this, and there’s no way to avoid it or get ahead of it. If you are given the form and are stuck waiting, the only thing that may help it move along is a lawsuit, which can be costly - even then it sometimes does not work. 

Hope this helps

Timeline
5 minutes ago, throwitaway said:

221g is a blanket term for “temporary” refusal, either because something is missing, more security checks need to be done, or the consulate needs to review the application more closely for whatever reason.

If you are issued a 221g, and it’s for background checks, you will be given the DS-5535 form for “extreme vetting.” It asks for personal information from the last 15 years. Multiple agencies receive this information and must return a opinion on you before Montreal can reconsider your application. This can take a really long time. 

In most other embassies, this form is rarely requested, at least relatively speaking. Montreal appears to use this form more frequently, or rather, disproportionately given the typical  demographic that interviews at Montreal, and that the US already has access to Canadian information databases in a very unique way.

Sometimes, 221g can be overcome quickly if they are just waiting on a missing document, like a correct police certificate, or an incomplete medical. However, if you are unlucky to receive 5535 as part of it, it’s likely you will be waiting for months, and sometimes years before your application is adjudicated again. Very rarely 5535 is resolved in less than a month or two. Some speculate that missing documents can increase your chances of receiving 5535. I went with all my documents plus more,  but I got it anyway.

Nobody knows why Montreal is doing this, and there’s no way to avoid it or get ahead of it. If you are given the form and are stuck waiting, the only thing that may help it move along is a lawsuit, which can be costly - even then it sometimes does not work. 

Hope this helps

Thanks for explaining 

Yes from what I’m reading it’s not something you can particularly avoid. I can only go to my interview with all my docs, hope and pray I don’t get the 5535. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.