2,958 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Throwitaway1988 said:

In my opinion, once you file you’ll regret you waited so long.

I can guarantee that I will not drop to my knees and thank the government for forcing me to spend $7,000 CAD to file a lawsuit, so not exactly...

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
45 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Have you crossed the border? Where did you cross? What additional information is required for border crossing?

Yes, we crossed the border in May 2022. We took the trip to Niagara Falls and visited family to activate our immigrant visas.  Just take your returned package from the embassy plus your passports with stamped visas at minimum. Refer to below link for moving your stuff to USA: https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-107?language=en_US

Good luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Consulate requested passport two weeks after lawsuit filed! "AP is now complete".

Note that my wife had three visas in past seven years, which they had done AP on every time, usually taking around 6 weeks (very close to the 45 days mentioned by others who filed lawsuits).

With regards to DV priority, even though it's third tier, you're right that it's prioritized over immediate relative when it gets close to September 30. We know there's an immediate relative backlog, yet monthly visa issuance statistics for last several months show thousands of DVs being issued.

For those on the fence about whether to file lawsuits, now that September 30 is passed, you may consider waiting a little longer (e.g., end of October) to see if it's necessary. But, I still truly believe the only reason they looked at our case and approved it is because we sued them 10 days ago.

Edited by jgauthi242
Clarify

4 minutes ago, jgauthi242 said:

Consulate requested passport two weeks after lawsuit filed! "AP is now complete".

Note that my wife had three visas in past seven years, which they had done AP on every time, usually taking around 6 weeks (very close to the 45 days mentioned by others who filed lawsuits).

With regards to DV priority, even though it's third tier, you're right that it's prioritized over immediate relative when it gets close to September 30. We know there's an immediate relative backlog, yet monthly visa issuance statistics for last several months show thousands of DVs being issued.

For those on the fence about whether to file lawsuits, now that September 30 is passed, you may consider waiting a little longer to see if it's necessary. But, I still truly believe the only reason they looked at our case and approved it is because we sued them 10 days ago.

Great news. Congratulations

Timeline
19 minutes ago, jgauthi242 said:

For those on the fence about whether to file lawsuits, now that September 30 is passed, you may consider waiting a little longer (e.g., end of October) to see if it's necessary. But, I still truly believe the only reason they looked at our case and approved it is because we sued them 10 days ago.

Which firm did you use? 
And congrats! 

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
16 hours ago, ice-qube said:

I can guarantee that I will not drop to my knees and thank the government for forcing me to spend $7,000 CAD to file a lawsuit, so not exactly...

Not that you're thanking the government for forcing you, it's that you have spent 12 months in total agony. Stressing, fretting, researching and discussing how awful it is. In my opinion, if it's at all possible, the money is worth it to me to not have to worry any more. I was depressed, stressed, anxious, having difficulty sleeping, obsessing and being distracted at work, unable to function properly. I had multiple near-breakdowns and serious issues handling the anxiety of not knowing what my future held and the inability to have structure or planning for my future really got to me.

For me, the money was a lot to spend as well (and I paid a cheap lawyer and then a normal priced lawer), it was painful, but I worked hard for it and still think of it as money well-spent. The feeling of relief has completely turned things around for me. I'm optimistic and hopeful, and no longer struggling through every day. Maybe after a year, you've already gotten to that point, and knowing that its a marriage visa; you know eventually they'll get to it. 

I think spending ~$7k CAD to finally be with your wife, and not being emotionally fried every day is worth it. 

That being said, it doesn't change the frustration I feel towards the immigration system, the process they put us through and the issues that are causing it to happen to all of us in the first place. I don't feel thankful that it's pay-to-win, I personally hate it. The reality is that there is no way for us to contact DOS, and the consulate isn't the hold up. Senators and Congress contacting the consulate doesn't help because these are not waiting on the consulate, they're waiting on DOS. You will be waiting until they catch up and figure it out, or you can file a lawsuit and have it over pretty quickly. Mine was 7 days, and jgauthi was 10 days. It's up to you.

Edited by Siarg
grammar

2 hours ago, jgauthi242 said:

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS! Very happy for you and your wife. 

When did you submit your passport? They requested my husbands passport as well and it was delivered through their courier service on Sept.14, however the consulate is saying they haven't received it yet! We have emailed them with the tracking information to show it was infact delivered but haven't heard back from the consulate. 

Not sure if we should wait at this point or hire a lawyer.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

If you already have the passport submission, you’re very close to being issued, a lawyer would be a waste of money at this point - just be patient, they take a while to process documents (their delivery place is separate from the actual consulate)

10 minutes ago, jandeep7519 said:

Not sure if we should wait at this point or hire a lawyer.

22 minutes ago, Siarg said:

If you already have the passport submission, you’re very close to being issued, a lawyer would be a waste of money at this point - just be patient, they take a while to process documents (their delivery place is separate from the actual consulate)

Issue is my husbands Police Clearance Certificate expires Oct. 9th. Seems like another delay is inevitable. 

Edited by jandeep7519

Timeline
23 minutes ago, jandeep7519 said:

Issue is my husbands Police Clearance Certificate expires Oct. 9th. Seems like another delay is inevitable. 

police certs are good for two years, not sure how long youve been in this limbo

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

Had interview this morning and got DS5535ed. Worst fear, now realized. The two family visa guys before me got them too. They kept my passport. Other guy got his back. He didn't even know such a thing was possible and was shocked when I explained it to him. Awesome. Here's to at least 2 more months waiting and another $7k in expenses!

Edited by ConsistentCut

Timeline
1 hour ago, jandeep7519 said:

Too long! It was issued in 2020. Our interview was Oct. 25th 2021.

I am @deep2ca wife, btw 🙂

Oh wow

i think your guys case is the only one that moved from October without a WOM being filed 

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

Timeline
17 minutes ago, ConsistentCut said:

Had interview this morning and got DS5535ed. Worst fear, now realized. The two family visa guys before me got them too. They kept my passport. Other guy got his back. He didn't even know such a thing was possible and was shocked when I explained it to him. Awesome. Here's to at least 2 more months waiting and another $7k in expenses!

2 months??? That’s on the very optimistic side. 

lawyers suggest to wait 4 months at least before WOM filing. 

but here’s hoping for you that it’s a very short stay and no WOM is needed 

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.