Gwfilam

Get my son a visa to USA

18 posts in this topic

Hello.  We are former K1 visa applicants that brought a K2 to the USA from the Philippines but didn’t bring our son as K2 because he was already 21.  It’s been three years since we married in July of 2019.  He’s listed as a son on the i129f form.  How do we get him a visa now and how long would this take to get him here?  He isn’t married. Sorry we’re sort of out of the loop now.  Mom is a permanent resident now and will be citizenship eligible in September of 2022.  Thanks

6 minutes ago, Gwfilam said:

Hello.  We are former K1 visa applicants that brought a K2 to the USA from the Philippines but didn’t bring our son as K2 because he was already 21.  It’s been three years since we married in July of 2019.  He’s listed as a son on the i129f form.  How do we get him a visa now and how long would this take to get him here?  He isn’t married. Sorry we’re sort of out of the loop now.  Mom is a permanent resident now and will be citizenship eligible in September of 2022.  Thanks

She can petition him as an unmarried child over 21.  AFAIK, she can petition him now, and then convert the petition when she becomes a citizen.

It will take a couple of years.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Just now, Gwfilam said:

Okay just petition as I-130?

Might take 2 years from petition filing to visa granted?

Thanks

More like 12, yes she petitions him.

Currently a few months quicker is she naturalises but that can change.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

None of us are prescient and certainly USCIS isn't.

Might be longer, I think it a reasonable assumption.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

45 minutes ago, Gwfilam said:

Seriously 12 years?  We can’t seem to get a straight answer.  Can we call uscis to clarify? Thanks

You can call all you want but they will answer you with the same information that is available online.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2022/visa-bulletin-for-july-2022.html

Here you can see the latest Visa Bulletin. The F1 visa is showing that they are processing cases from March of 2012 from the Philippines.

C3697BCC-03EF-43F4-9E3B-9F24F31BFC4A.jpeg

Edited by PaulaCJohnny

Does it matter if he was under 21 when we did the i129f but in April of 2019 he turned 21.  Mothers K1 visa was issued in June 2019.

We thought he could get his visa within a year of filing once his mother became a citizen?

12 years is way too long to ask him to wait.  We’ll be spending 6 months a year in the Philippines beginning in 2027.

Thanks

4 hours ago, Gwfilam said:

Does it matter if he was under 21 when we did the i129f but in April of 2019 he turned 21.  Mothers K1 visa was issued in June 2019.

We thought he could get his visa within a year of filing once his mother became a citizen?

12 years is way too long to ask him to wait.  We’ll be spending 6 months a year in the Philippines beginning in 2027.

Thanks

No, unfortunately it doesn’t, either he was eligible to follow-to-join or not, if not he doesn’t get any benefit from what his age was at the time. His age at the time of filing the i130 is what matters.

Not sure where you got the information about waiting for citizenship then getting the visa in a year. She never had to wait beyond getting her green card to file, and it would never have been within a year (even before covid) once he turned 21.

My opinion, 12 years is long yes, but file it anyway. At least you/he will have the option in 12 years to decide if he wants to come.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline

If his mother has not naturalised the case is abandoned

If his mother has naturalised he moves to the F3 category.

25 minutes ago, Gwfilam said:

What if he marries?  After we file?

Thanks

That was explained earlier by @SusieQQQ

8 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Also note to benefit from these categories he must remain unmarried. Once his mom becomes a citizen he won’t lose the petition if he marries, but he would move to the F3 (married children of citizens) category. As you can see in the post with the visa bulletin above, the wait for that is even longer - visas currently available only for those petitions filed some 20 years ago.

Filed: Timeline
44 minutes ago, Gwfilam said:

This is very sad to learn. 🥲🥲🥲

Could a lawyer get or K1 i129f looked at and adjusted to include him possibly?

No.  You already stated that he was not qualified under that petition because he was already over 21 at the time of the vIsa interview.  He can't retroactively qualify for it now because you want him to be able to immigrate more quickly.  More to the point --  even if he qualified under the original I-129f petition, the "follow to join" provision for a K2 derivative is only valid for one year from the date the K-1 was issued.

Edited by jan22

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.