Deanne81

vaccination certificate, health insurance, drivers license, and other nitty-gritty

13 posts in this topic

My mother's 10-year B1/B2 visa is expiring in June 2023 and I thought it would be great if she used it to visit this fall/winter. I already bought return tickets Manila-LA via Philippine Airlines.

I have a few questions that I am getting mixed answers. Can you guys please advise? 

1) Does she need a travel and health insurance for entry?

2) Does she need an International Certificate of Vaccination (ICV)?

3) Purpose of travel is mainly family visit and tour/sightseeing which is obviously non-essential --is this still being scrutinized by CBP?  

4) The other times that she visited, she came with my father. They have since separated. Will this be an issue? Should she continue to use her past home address or her new address (my aunts') ? 

5) In both of her past visits she was given the maximum 180 days max allowed, but she only stayed for 2 weeks (1st visit) and 1month (2nd visit). This time since she is retired we want to maximize her visit. How can we increase our chances of being approved for 180 days again? Her return tickets cover exactly 172 days. 

6) Can she drive in the US with a foreign drivers license?

Thank you everyone for all and any help!!! 

1. no its not mandatory. but its always good ide ato have

2. no, except perhaps for covid vaccination card ?

3. no,  but approval is always at CBP discretion when she land in the US

4. no issue. visa was issue individually. individual didnt need to travel with their spouse

5. maybe. its at CBP discretion. most case people always got 180 days, but my cousin got for 30 days one time. you cant " increase" ur chances. its at the hand of CBP

6. she can. dont forget to put her on car insurance. she cant drive without her name on the car insurance. well technically she can but just in case and things happened, it will be expensive without insurance

Edited by Misscloud

4 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

1. no its not mandatory. but its always good ide ato have

2. no, except perhaps for covid vaccination card ?

3. no,  but approval is always at CBP discretion when she land in the US

4. no issue. visa was issue individually. individual didnt need to travel with their spouse

5. maybe. its at CBP discretion. most case people always got 180 days, but my cousin got for 30 days one time 

6. she can

Thanks for your inputs! :)

1 hour ago, Deanne81 said:

My mother's 10-year B1/B2 visa is expiring in June 2023 and I thought it would be great if she used it to visit this fall/winter. I already bought return tickets Manila-LA via Philippine Airlines.

I have a few questions that I am getting mixed answers. Can you guys please advise? 

3) Purpose of travel is mainly family visit and tour/sightseeing which is obviously non-essential --is this still being scrutinized by CBP?  

4) The other times that she visited, she came with my father. They have since separated. Will this be an issue? Should she continue to use her past home address or her new address (my aunts') ? 

5) In both of her past visits she was given the maximum 180 days max allowed, but she only stayed for 2 weeks (1st visit) and 1month (2nd visit). This time since she is retired we want to maximize her visit. How can we increase our chances of being approved for 180 days again? Her return tickets cover exactly 172 days. 

1. No, but you know what ER costs here, it’s definitely advisable

2. She needs proof of covid vaccine (fully vaccinated)

3. The vast majority of B visa entrants are on “non essential” travel.

4. Not unless he is her only tie to the Philippines (and they may not even ask). Don’t play games using an address she doesn’t actually live at. If they find she’s lying they’ll assume the worst about why and she could lose her visa.

5. Don’t play games here either, you can’t “increase the chances”. She’ll probably be given 6 months as most are and as she was before, if not you’ll have to change the return ticket. They’ll see when she’s booked to go back.

6. Yes, check if your state requires an international driver permit. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

1 hour ago, Misscloud said:

she can. dont forget to put her on car insurance. she cant drive without her name on the car insurance. well technically she can but just in case and things happened, it will be expensive without insurance

Depends on the insurance. When we visited before we moved here we used my cousin”s car, his car insurance covered all licensed drivers, did not have to be named. The one we have now does the same.

Edited by SusieQQQ

*** Removed duplicate thread.  Please post your related questions in this thread to keep the discussion in one place. ***

18 hours ago, Deanne81 said:

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I used the forums! My mother's 10-year B1/B2 visa is expiring in June 2023 and I thought it would be great if she used it to visit this fall/winter. I already bought return tickets Manila-LA via Philippine Airlines.

I found some helpful info on PAL's website (pasted below) but need help with a few things:

1) Any suggestions on travel and health insurance? My mother is a retired government employee. 

2) Will she need an International Certificate of Vaccination (ICV)?

3) In the Travel Declaration form, should she provide her contact number, email, and contact person in the PI or US?

4) Purpose of travel is mainly family visit and tour/sightseeing which is obviously non-essential --is this still being scrutinized by BI or CBP?  

5) The other times that she visited, she came with my father. They have since separated. Will this be an issue? Should she continue to use her past home address or her new address (my aunts') ? 

6) In both of her past visits she was given the maximum 180 days max allowed, but she only stayed for 2 weeks (1st visit) and 1month (2nd visit). This time since she is retired we want to maximize her visit. How can we increase our chances of being approved for 180 days again? Her return tickets cover exactly 172 days. 

7) Anything else I am missing?

Love my mama and I wish I could just petition her finally but she prefers the tourist route and everything changes every time 🤷‍♀️

https://www.philippineairlines.com/en/ph/home/covid-19/DepartingFromThePH/EligiblePaxForIntlTravel

OUTBOUND FILIPINOS

For those traveling on tourist or short-term/visitor visas:

• Philippine Passport
  • Supporting documents and medical/health requirements (required by the destination country)
  • Confirmed roundtrip ticket
  • Travel and health insurance to cover travel disruptions and hospitalization in case of COVID-19 infections during their allowable period of stay abroad
  • Bureau of Immigration (BOI) Declaration of acknowledging the risks involved in travelling. Click to download the BOI Declaration form.
  • Whenever required by the country of destination, a negative COVID-19 test taken in accordance with the health and safety protocols of such destination.
  • International travelers who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 that are required by the country of destination/principal/employer to present a proof of COVID-19 vaccination may:
    • Request for an International Certificate of Vaccination (ICV) from the Bureau of Quarantine (BOQ). To book an appointment, go to www.icv.boq.ph. For more information, contact the BOQ hotline: (632) 5318-7500 loc. 121. Request for ICV is not mandatory, as this is not a requirement for all travelers.
    • Request for a digital proof of vaccination from the VaxCertPH portal. Fully vaccinated travelers may generate their own vaccination certificate by logging on to https://vaxcert.doh.gov.ph/.
      • Only individuals who got their COVID-19 vaccination in Metro Manila and Baguio, and traveling outside the Philippines may use this online facility.

Notes:

Travelers are allowed to exit the Philippines provided they are also eligible to enter the destination country, and are subject to immigration formalities.

18 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

1. No, but you know what ER costs here, it’s definitely advisable

2. She needs proof of covid vaccine (fully vaccinated)

3. The vast majority of B visa entrants are on “non essential” travel.

4. Not unless he is her only tie to the Philippines (and they may not even ask). Don’t play games using an address she doesn’t actually live at. If they find she’s lying they’ll assume the worst about why and she could lose her visa.

5. Don’t play games here either, you can’t “increase the chances”. She’ll probably be given 6 months as most are and as she was before, if not you’ll have to change the return ticket. They’ll see when she’s booked to go back.

6. Yes, check if your state requires an international driver permit. 

Thank you! 

For the proof of covid vaccine she has her vaccination card. I assume that will suffice (I read somewhere about the ICV but I have no idea) ?

I guess I was trying to confirm that the ban on non-essential travel has been completely lifted? 

She does have other ties to the PH. Not playing games. She owns the home and for legal purposes it is her residence is why I think she is justified to still use the address. She definitely still use it as her mailing address for a lot of business. But the weird situation with my father and my aunts is why I raised this question.

I shouldn't have used "increase our chances" as that might sound like I'm playing games. The past 2 visits were shorter and we presented a well regimented plan. How detailed and solid of an itinerary should we present now since we really are just looking forward to a long but laid-back visit.

Again, thanks for your inputs! :)

When the US asks for your home address, they are asking for where you live. Putting anything else is trying to play games, sorry. She needs to put where she actually lives. Not where she thinks they need to be able to match some prior document.

They don’t care much about an in itinerary, I spent a 5 month visit in the US once with the vaguest of plans and they didn’t care, because they trusted me to leave at the end of it. The only time an itinerary might come into play is if they suspect the intention is to stay permanently. Is she planning to arrive with 4 suitcases to last four seasons and one of them packed with birth certificate etc? That’s the kind of thing they look at. 

vaccine cards are country specific, no idea what she’d have. She does have proof right?

And what ban on travel? The one from covid hit countries? That went away around the same time as the vax program took off.

31 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

When the US asks for your home address, they are asking for where you live. Putting anything else is trying to play games, sorry. She needs to put where she actually lives. Not where she thinks they need to be able to match some prior document.

They don’t care much about an in itinerary, I spent a 5 month visit in the US once with the vaguest of plans and they didn’t care, because they trusted me to leave at the end of it. The only time an itinerary might come into play is if they suspect the intention is to stay permanently. Is she planning to arrive with 4 suitcases to last four seasons and one of them packed with birth certificate etc? That’s the kind of thing they look at. 

vaccine cards are country specific, no idea what she’d have. She does have proof right?

And what ban on travel? The one from covid hit countries? That went away around the same time as the vax program took off.

Appreciate your honest opinions. On the vaccine cards, while you acknowledge them you also asked if she has proof. Yes, her country-specific vaccine card. Are you saying that is not enough proof? 

20 minutes ago, Deanne81 said:

Appreciate your honest opinions. On the vaccine cards, while you acknowledge them you also asked if she has proof. Yes, her country-specific vaccine card. Are you saying that is not enough proof? 

I assume it’s enough proof , but you were the one talking about maybe requiring an ICV (i don’t know what that is so I assume it’s a country specific card)

1 hour ago, Deanne81 said:

For the proof of covid vaccine she has her vaccination card. I assume that will suffice (I read somewhere about the ICV but I have no idea) ?

3 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I assume it’s enough proof , but you were the one talking about maybe requiring an ICV (i don’t know what that is so I assume it’s a country specific card)

Gotcha. Yea this is where I read about it: https://quarantine.doh.gov.ph/frequently-asked-questions-on-international-certificate-of-vaccination-icv/

To quote the page:

Q: What is an International Certificate of Vaccination or ICV?

A: The International Certificate of Vaccination or ICV is a document that records an individual’s vaccinations required to travel abroad. It is recognized by member countries of the World Health Organization.

Q: Is ICV mandatory for those going abroad?

A: ICV is not mandatory and cannot be considered an “immunity passport.” It serves as “proof of vaccination” of an individual. Not all countries require ICV. You should contact the country you are going to to find out what their entry requirements are.

9 hours ago, Deanne81 said:

She will want to be clear about her intent to return to the Philippines.  For a variety of reasons (now separated and retired are two big ones) she could be seen as high risk for immigrant intent, and denied entry by CBP.

If you do want to get a green card for her, please do it properly with a petition.

8 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

She will want to be clear about her intent to return to the Philippines.  For a variety of reasons (now separated and retired are two big ones) she could be seen as high risk for immigrant intent, and denied entry by CBP.

If you do want to get a green card for her, please do it properly with a petition.

Thanks. Unfortunately my mother is not interested in becoming a permanent resident. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.