9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

additional evidence is for any petition (whether it be for a spouse or a child) that needs proofs when the main evidence is not available '

Example only"

filing for a parent and they don't have birth certificate so affiadivts are needed to support birth by relatives that were present at the time

what is the petition for?

spouse or

children?

The petition is for my husband. We submitted all the required documents in the previous sections. Birth certificates, i-130a, marriage certificates,  translations of marriage certificate, including letters from friends and family. I submitted my birth certificate  as well. It didn't ask for my husband's birth certificate 

3 minutes ago, Khadijahbintsalaf said:

The petition is for my husband. We submitted all the required documents in the previous sections. Birth certificates, i-130a, marriage certificates,  translations of marriage certificate, including letters from friends and family. I submitted my birth certificate  as well. It didn't ask for my husband's birth certificate 

The extract you posted clearly states it is only needed if a required document is unavailable. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Khadijahbintsalaf said:

he will provide originals at interview

letters from friends and family are only useful if USCIS asks for them

any children ? as u mentioned them

all children of petitioner and spouse need to be listed

and if children are needing to come to USA, each child needs a petition

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

In addition to the required civil documents, you need evidence that the marriage relationship is bona fide.  Here is what USCIS asks for with an I-130.  Review the section in bold and send as much quality evidence as you can.  At least include documentation to prove that you have met each other multiple times and spent lots of in-person time together (passport stamps, original boarding passes, hotel receipts, a few photos of the two of you together).  If you can send some financial co-mingling evidence it is also very helpful, whatever you can do while living apart (for example, to show the foreign spouse is included on the US spouse's health insurance, and the beneficiary on retirement accounts, life insurance, etc.)  Some also file joint US tax returns and include those, we uploaded them at the NVC stage together with more evidence of additional time spent together.  Good luck!

Did you provide the following?

• Evidence of U.S. citizenship, lawful permanent residence, or U.S. national status:
    • A copy of your birth certificate, issued by a civil registrar, vital statistics office, or other civil authority showing you were born in the United States; 
    • A copy of your naturalization or citizenship certificate issued by USCIS or the former Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS); 
    • A copy of Form FS-240, Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), issued by a U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate; 
    •  A copy of your unexpired U.S. passport; 
    • An original statement from a U.S. consular officer verifying you are a U.S. citizen with a valid passport; or
    • A copy of the front and back of your Permanent Resident Card (also known as a Green Card or a Form I-551).
  • Evidence of family relationship with one of the following (see form instructions for more detailed guidance):
    • Spouse: A copy of your marriage certificate
      • Evidence you or your spouse terminated any prior marriages (if applicable)
    • Child: A copy of your child’s birth certificate(s).
    • Parent: A copy of your birth certificate.
    • Brother/Sister: A copy of the birth certificate for you and your sibling.
  • Evidence of the bona fides of the marriage, if petitioning for a spouse:
    • Documentation showing joint ownership of property;
    • A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence, meaning you both live at the same address together;
    • Documentation showing that you and your spouse have combined your financial resources;
    • Birth certificates of children born to you and your spouse together;
    • Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship. Each affidavit must contain the full name and address of the person making the affidavit; date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit; and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired their knowledge of your marriage; and
    •  Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union.
  • Proof of legal name change (if applicable); and 
  • Two passport-style photographs (if applicable).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.