Kasra

Canadian filer with Iran citizenship - Police Cert

5 posts in this topic

My fiancé lived in Iran for at least 6 months since age of 16, and the visa requirements indicate that you need a police report from each country you resided at for at least 6 months.  However, under the immigration page, it states that an Iran police certificate is unreliable and not required for immigrant visas.  

I have attempted asking the embassy at Montreal and talking to other attorneys but there are mixed opinions.

Has anyone had their fiancé go through the visa interview with or without an Iran police clearance who can tell me whether it is required?  

If it is not required, is there a way to get US embassy to send email or letter verifying an exemption?

If an official US government website is saying that it’s not required, that means it’s not required.

8 minutes ago, Kasra said:

If it is not required, is there a way to get US embassy to send email or letter verifying an exemption?

Why would they do that if an official DOS website is saying that it is not required? (US consulates are under DOS btw). That’s one way to tick them off. I’m sure they’re swamped as is.

Edited by powerpuff

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/IranIslamicRepublicof.html

I attached the below link and language.  It says under the comment section that it is not required because it is unreliable.  I know generally a comment to a legal statute is subject to interpretation but this is on a DOS page so I’m assuming it is not required.

69B585CC-C756-44A8-B345-4B4A5CBB66E6.jpeg

It is not required. Expect your fiancé to go on an extensive Administrative processing (AP) after the interview; due to unreliable record keeping in Iran they need to conduct in depth background checks. AP cannot be waived or expedited and there’s no general estimate on how long it takes.

1 hour ago, Kasra said:

My fiancé lived in Iran for at least 6 months since age of 16, and the visa requirements indicate that you need a police report from each country you resided at for at least 6 months.  However, under the immigration page, it states that an Iran police certificate is unreliable and not required for immigrant visas.  

I have attempted asking the embassy at Montreal and talking to other attorneys but there are mixed opinions.

Has anyone had their fiancé go through the visa interview with or without an Iran police clearance who can tell me whether it is required?  

It is not required, and as a result the AP/vetting process for Iranian citizens is much more involved and takes longer.  Even years, in some cases.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.