Generaltito

ESTA To AOS Potential Problem?

86 posts in this topic

Interesting read.

Hope this is not taking the discussion off at a tangent but I am curious how she worked for an Embassy or Consulate in US without EAD !

Further, it was not a low paid job such as cleaning offices for cash - she was doing clerical work processing visas ???

I am amazed that an Embassy or Consulate would employ someone without EAD.

Unless its a sovereign soil thing ? If you work in an Embassy are you technically not in the US ?

Finally - is there a tax issue ? As I understand it, even if you work illegally, you are liable for income tax ?

Edited by JohnnyForeigner

12 minutes ago, JohnnyForeigner said:

You’d be surprised how many laws people at US embassies and consulates violate. Have you heard of diplomatic immunity? 

14 minutes ago, JohnnyForeigner said:

If you work in an Embassy are you technically not in the US

No, you definitely are in the US. 

15 minutes ago, JohnnyForeigner said:

Finally - is there a tax issue ? As I understand it, even if you work illegally, you are liable for income tax ?

Good point. Yes, you must file taxes even if you work without authorization. 

15 hours ago, powerpuff said:

You’d be surprised how many laws people at US embassies and consulates violate. Have you heard of diplomatic immunity? 

No, you definitely are in the US. 

Good point. Yes, you must file taxes even if you work without authorization. 

I understand diplomatic immunity.

I was thinking more in terms of how they could deal with the admin of employing an individual without EAD.

I assume, like any other employer, they would have to withhold tax etc ? And like any other employer, there would be IRS paperwork to fill out that would require SSN etc ?

Just now, JohnnyForeigner said:

I was thinking more in terms of how they could deal with the admin of employing an individual without EAD.

I assume, like any other employer, they would have to withhold tax etc ? And like any other employer, there would be IRS paperwork to fill out that would require SSN etc ?

They probably paid cash. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I wondered what happened to this case? 
I feel like I’ve been reading days of our lives and really want to know the ending. 

On 12/27/2022 at 5:09 PM, JohnnyForeigner said:

Interesting read.

Hope this is not taking the discussion off at a tangent but I am curious how she worked for an Embassy or Consulate in US without EAD !

Further, it was not a low paid job such as cleaning offices for cash - she was doing clerical work processing visas ???

Unless its a sovereign soil thing ? If you work in an Embassy are you technically not in the US ?

Depending on the situation (country/type of work, type of passport, visa/status in the USA, type of diplomatic mission, among other things) no EAD is required. 

This is the office able to advise on those questions

https://www.state.gov/ofm

Income might, or might not be taxable.  Again, many factors get into it, and some countries have tax agreements (situation for one country might be different than for another country, and workers citizenship and status also plays into it).  It's... complicated. Usually, the diplomatic mission employing the worker can refer the employee to reference documents to explain in better details.  There's not one answer (and, usually, not even over answer per "office", too many factors get into it).

On 12/28/2022 at 9:27 AM, JohnnyForeigner said:

Foreign governments do not have the authority to withhold taxes for the IRS, so employees who are subject to US/state taxes would have to pay quarterly to the IRS.  If they are US citizens, or otherwise not exempt from Social security/FICA they'd have to pay that directly also (employer and employee share, since the employer isn't required to pay). 

Again, depends on a lot of factors. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, EdwardG said:

I’m new to the forum so wondering what the outcome was here..,

It's unlikely we're going to find out. The OP was last active July 2022. Considering how long the AOS is taking nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if the case is still pending 😃

Edited by OldUser

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A post and replies to it have been split from this thread and moved to the Case Progress subforum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.