MASH

Lost My Green Card - Already Filled N400 Form

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone, 

sadly i had a very hard month with the moving, and so many other things.

with that being said i lost my green card which I cried about for a whole week cuz i am always careful with my USCIS stuff to avoid any delays but sadly i lost mine at the airport. 

I filled out the lost an found form a week ago n sadly no updates if they found it or not which is hurting me so much.

Since i already filed my N400 and have a picture of my green card front and back do i still have to have them issue me a new one? 

the $455 pricetag i sadly cant afford right especially when i spent all my money on the move i have nothing left for months and i have to see my sick mother in September 2022 and i doubt even if i get a new GC if it will even make it by then.

has anyone else had an issue with this?

i wish it didnt take so long for citizenships , its been 210 days now of waiting :( 

Citizenship Journey:

K-1 Visa - Citizenship: 04/14/2015 - 09/20/22

7 Years 5 Months 0 Weeks 6 Days 10 Hours 30 Minutes 0 Seconds

US Passport Journey: (Expedited) 

USPS Passport Appointment: September 29th, 2022

Passport Office Received Documents: October 3rd, 2022

Passport Application Approved: October 19th, 2022

Passport Received: October 21st, 2022

FULL JOURNEY ADVENTURE:

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=215312

DECEMBER 2022 N400 FILERS: (Update To Help Your Fellow Filers)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11xHTs0yLIeoAXIW-O5iYOvRRvbriVgu7JVw8xQq8QDw/edit#gid=0

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I'd just chill and wait for citizenship 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

21 minutes ago, MASH said:

Hello everyone, 

sadly i had a very hard month with the moving, and so many other things.

with that being said i lost my green card which I cried about for a whole week cuz i am always careful with my USCIS stuff to avoid any delays but sadly i lost mine at the airport. 

I filled out the lost an found form a week ago n sadly no updates if they found it or not which is hurting me so much.

Since i already filed my N400 and have a picture of my green card front and back do i still have to have them issue me a new one? 

the $455 pricetag i sadly cant afford right especially when i spent all my money on the move i have nothing left for months and i have to see my sick mother in September 2022 and i doubt even if i get a new GC if it will even make it by then.

has anyone else had an issue with this?

i wish it didnt take so long for citizenships , its been 210 days now of waiting :(

Oh nooo I'm so sorry! ☹ Yeah I agree with Timona. I say wait until your N400 interview and explain what happened. Do you have a copy of the lost and found report? I would bring it to the N400 interview. Since the card was lost AFTER you had already filed N400, I think you'll be ok but the interviewer will advise you about it at the citizenship interview. If it had been lost BEFORE you filed N400, you would have to file I-90 first. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Timona said:

I'd just chill and wait for citizenship 

I have to go to Canada to see my family in September, is it possible to go without my green card with me ? 

Citizenship Journey:

FULL JOURNEY ADVENTURE:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11xHTs0yLIeoAXIW-O5iYOvRRvbriVgu7JVw8xQq8QDw/edit#gid=0

Timeline
1 hour ago, mushroomspore said:

Oh nooo I'm so sorry! ☹ Yeah I agree with Timona. I say wait until your N400 interview and explain what happened. Do you have a copy of the lost and found report? I would bring it to the N400 interview. Since the card was lost AFTER you had already filed N400, I think you'll be ok but the interviewer will advise you about it at the citizenship interview. If it had been lost BEFORE you filed N400, you would have to file I-90 first. 

I do have the lost and found with the airports n things and I’ll just have to explain to them that I lost it , just wondering if I can also go see my family in September  without it if I have a picture of it 

Citizenship Journey:

FULL JOURNEY ADVENTURE:

41 minutes ago, MASH said:

I do have the lost and found with the airports n things and I’ll just have to explain to them that I lost it , just wondering if I can also go see my family in September  without it if I have a picture of it 

Unfortunately it's not a good idea to leave the US if you don't have the green card anymore. I was going to suggest to get the stamp in your passport. But you need the I-90 receipt notice to get that. So your only option is to stay in the US until your naturalization is done and you have a US passport, since you don't want to file I-90.

Timeline
1 hour ago, mushroomspore said:

Unfortunately it's not a good idea to leave the US if you don't have the green card anymore. I was going to suggest to get the stamp in your passport. But you need the I-90 receipt notice to get that. So your only option is to stay in the US until your naturalization is done and you have a US passport, since you don't want to file I-90.

If I don’t have the physical card at the interview would I get denied or in trouble ?

Citizenship Journey:

FULL JOURNEY ADVENTURE:

3 minutes ago, MASH said:

If I don’t have the physical card at the interview would I get denied or in trouble ?

To be honest, I'm not sure. At the citizenship interview, there is a good chance you'll be told to file I-90 and bring the receipt with you to your oath ceremony in exchange for the naturalization certificate. Ultimately, just filing I-90 is really the safest bet. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, mushroomspore said:

To be honest, I'm not sure. At the citizenship interview, there is a good chance you'll be told to file I-90 and bring the receipt with you to your oath ceremony in exchange for the naturalization certificate. Ultimately, just filing I-90 is really the safest bet. 

Wish I had the money to do it at the moment but I do agree it’s best to be safe than sorry, I might end up calling USCIS tomorrow to see what I can do to avoid the fee since also I feel the time I get it I will have my citizenship before then.

Citizenship Journey:

FULL JOURNEY ADVENTURE:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
9 hours ago, MASH said:

You are unlikely to be denied. This post, and the one after it are definitive on both policy and action:

Timeline
3 hours ago, Mike E said:

You are unlikely to be denied. This post, and the one after it are definitive on both policy and action:

that is good news, i guess i just have to file that police report, i did msg the person to see if it can be any police station or if it has to be a specific one cuz i am unsure if i lost it in toronto canada or in dallas tx

Citizenship Journey:

FULL JOURNEY ADVENTURE:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
13 hours ago, MASH said:

The USCIS IO should issue you an affidavit that the card has been lost I believe.  In my wife's case, her 2 yr GC was expired and when she got her ADIT I551 stamp USCIS took her expired GC and when she had her N400 interview this IO gave her such an affidavit which she needed to present at the naturalization ceremony.  Your issue is a little different, but if you take the copies you have along with the proof of it being lost and explain everything to the IO, I would think they should handle it similarly.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, MASH said:

that is good news, i guess i just have to file that police report, i did msg the person to see if it can be any police station or if it has to be a specific one cuz i am unsure if i lost it in toronto canada or in dallas tx

If you traveled from Toronto to Dallas and Toronto was the last time you recall seeing it (you 100 percent had it when you cleared US immigration and customs in Toronto) then that is where you file the police report.

I didn’t lose mine but it was taken away from me at my field office when i was getting my I551 stamp. They made a copy (thankfully) and this is what i used to file my N400 (just scanned the copy of my GC and uploaded it). I don’t think you will be in trouble, but apply for I551 stamp if you are planning to travel internationally!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.