Ir5 2020

Nvc Approved my mon marriage certificate but they didn’t approve my dad !!

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone 
I have a weird situation..  my mom and dad files are at the NVC today all of my mom docs got accepted.. but my dad merige certificate got denied even though it was the same document for my mom too!!

Any advice? … do We have to waite another two month for them to review it again?? 
Dose that mean my mom might get an interview before my dad ??

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
4 hours ago, Ir5 2020 said:

Hi everyone 
I have a weird situation..  my mom and dad files are at the NVC today all of my mom docs got accepted.. but my dad merige certificate got denied even though it was the same document for my mom too!!

Any advice? … do We have to waite another two month for them to review it again?? 

Thanks

The NVC accepts that your mother is your mother because of your birth certificate.  The marriage certificate for your mother is apparently superfluous in your case.  

The NVC needs evidence that your father is your father. An acceptable marriage certificate, issued prior to your birth, is evidenced he is your father. 

Review https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country.html for their country to see what is an acceptable marriage certificate.  

Was your father denied or was he given an RFE?

6 hours ago, Ir5 2020 said:

Hi everyone 

Thanks

Since NVC stopped taking calls, only recourse seems the ASKNVC email and wait, even in instances where it is clearly “ agency error “ as in your case. Try contacting your congressman and insist it is NVC error.

You can request your parents to be scheduled together for consular interview once they both get DQ by sending email to the consulate, even if by some miracle mom’s case moves faster than dad’s. 

Hopefully many can see your post and provide help w any faster means of getting through to NVC in last couple of months.

4 hours ago, Mike E said:

The NVC accepts that your mother is your mother because of your birth certificate.  The marriage certificate for your mother is apparently superfluous in your case.  

The NVC needs evidence that your father is your father. An acceptable marriage certificate, issued prior to your birth, is evidenced he is your father. 

Review https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country.html for their country to see what is an acceptable marriage certificate.  

Was your father denied or was he given an RFE?

Hmm, usually the father being listed on the long form birth certificate is accepted as evidence of paternity. And seeing as a marriage certificate is a required civil document for immigration, it’s not “superfluous” for the mom either. Moreover, the proof of paternity should have been determined at uscis stage before the case got moved to NVC. I think what happened here is that different NVC officers reviewed each file for DQ purposes and for some reason, one accepted the certificate and the other didn’t.  It doesn’t happen often but I have seen reports of similar instances where the same document is accepted in one petition but not another before.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Ghana
Timeline
On 7/17/2022 at 9:17 AM, SusieQQQ said:

Hmm, usually the father being listed on the long form birth certificate is accepted as evidence of paternity. And seeing as a marriage certificate is a required civil document for immigration, it’s not “superfluous” for the mom either. Moreover, the proof of paternity should have been determined at uscis stage before the case got moved to NVC. I think what happened here is that different NVC officers reviewed each file for DQ purposes and for some reason, one accepted the certificate and the other didn’t.  It doesn’t happen often but I have seen reports of similar instances where the same document is accepted in one petition but not another before.

Exact same thing happened with my wife's parents.  Mother's marriage certificate was approved right away but father's was rejected.  I assume it was because different NVC officers reviewed their docs.  We ended up having to upload a slightly different version of the marriage certificate to get the father's accepted.  Net result is that the mother has a DQ date 2.5 months earlier than the father, so I'm assuming they will be interviewing separately.

43 minutes ago, bunky623 said:

Exact same thing happened with my wife's parents.  Mother's marriage certificate was approved right away but father's was rejected.  I assume it was because different NVC officers reviewed their docs.  We ended up having to upload a slightly different version of the marriage certificate to get the father's accepted.  Net result is that the mother has a DQ date 2.5 months earlier than the father, so I'm assuming they will be interviewing

It is exactly as you point out and many are experiencing the unfortunate lack consistency w NVC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
On 7/17/2022 at 10:17 AM, SusieQQQ said:

And seeing as a marriage certificate is a required civil document for immigration, it’s not “superfluous” for the mom either.

There is no requirement for a married mother  to produce her marriage certificate.  

See 

On 7/17/2022 at 10:17 AM, SusieQQQ said:

Moreover, the proof of paternity should have been determined at uscis stage before the case got moved to NVC. I think what happened here is that different NVC officers  .

DoS doesn’t have to trust  USCIS’s vetting. Indeed if this was an adjustment of status case, the IO on I-485 doesn’t have to trust the IO’s vetting of the I-130.  If it were otherwise, we wouldn’t see spousal cases where the petitioner’s passport was good enough for I-130 / I-129F and not good enough for I-485. 

10 hours ago, Mike E said:

There is no requirement for a married mother  to produce her marriage certificate.  

See 

Huh? I refer you to the required civil documents for immigration. For everyone. The official DoS page, not the VJ guide.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents/step-7-collect-civil-documents.html

If you are or have been married, you must obtain original marriage certificate/s or certified copies of EVERY marriage.

How much more clear can they be that it’s required?  
Also if you are careful to actually read the official page and where this is in the process, you will see that this is in the list of documents that gets submitted to NVC

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.