GinoNiña

I need to find a way to beat the backlogged and understaffed system

28 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Crazy Cat said:

"Too married for a K-1" and "not married enough for a CR-1" is a real thing. 

Legally no (as @Nuba posted). But you must remember all of the people you deal with along the way and hoping to get them all to understand, agree, and allow you to proceed is a whole other topic. You must truthful in all answers along the way, and once you say you are married but not technically, their heads will explode.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

See, here’s the thing: the might be able to game the system now, but this is not their last immigration step by any means. If I were OP, I would be very worried someone might pick it up later in the process, either for ROC or N400. To me, the very few months that this can speed up, if any, are not worth the headache. But that’s me.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Based on my researched, online marriage is NOT valid until both parties has physically met in person(consummated, fancy term).  So it would be safe to do an online marriage without violating all K1 requirements, yes? 

When she gets here, it is the day  consummation starts. It means no need traveling to vegas for marriage. Her arrival day is day 1 for marriage requirements.

Big question is what are the pros and cons on doing this. This Online marriage is something new to us. It  is not treated the same as the proxy marriage. It is different  process all together.   

This waiting period SUCKS!!! Just learned that not only K1 visas are backlogged, all immigration related subjects as well. Philippines is number 2 worldwide(good choice), for K1 applicants. 

Oh yeah by the way LOVE  all the replies....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, GinoNiña said:

Based on my researched, online marriage is NOT valid until both parties has physically met in person(consummated, fancy term).  So it would be safe to do an online marriage without violating all K1 requirements, yes? 

When she gets here, it is the day  consummation starts. It means no need traveling to vegas for marriage. Her arrival day is day 1 for marriage requirements.

Big question is what are the pros and cons on doing this. This Online marriage is something new to us. It  is not treated the same as the proxy marriage. It is different  process all together.   

This waiting period SUCKS!!! Just learned that not only K1 visas are backlogged, all immigration related subjects as well. Philippines is number 2 worldwide(good choice), for K1 applicants. 

Marry on line the day she gets here, no issues, let us say for argument there is a regulation that says this all dandy, but you get somebody who has not read it so needs to investigate, why risk it?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
13 hours ago, GinoNiña said:

You don't see the risk?  There are actual instances of a person being labeled as too married for a K-1.   In addition, the entire sequence of events will be examined at the time of naturalization.  Your date of marriage will be shown as before the K-1 was issued.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

This plan is a whole lot of risk for very little gain. 

I've been watching the PH regional forum for news on that K1 visa holder who got married online but never saw their spouse until they arrived in the States. Until I hear that AOS was successfully approved, I won't consider it a fully successful process.

For someone who seems very eager to start their married life ASAP, it seems counterproductive to willingly put themselves in a situation where they cannot meet in person for an unknown period of time. That's what's going to happen if the K1 visa applicant proceeds with an online marriage but refuses to consummate until arrival in the States.

8 hours ago, GinoNiña said:

The biggest con is that you may be completely correct, yet she arrives and gets interviewed by a CBP officer. Technically you are not married but yet you are. You are now at the mercy that has no idea about the finite nuances of the law and says...You're married already, you need to go back on the next plane. Meaning you could be 100% right and still make it harder on yourself.

But do not fret, you are just over thinking it and I am here to help you out. Who told you that you must go to Vegas? You do realize that you can still do an online wedding in Utah the day she lands right? Problem solved and just as fast.

13 hours ago, GinoNiña said:

I think one thing you are missing is that on the day she arrives you could have a marriage in presence or do an online marriage and consummate it on the spot, so to speak.   This is a much less risky course and has the same time line. 

All of us K-1 waiters share your pain and frustration. The best thing you can do is to ensure that you present all the correct information in the required format with properly completed forms the first time; they are very picky about this. Otherwise you will get RFEs that will only lengthen the process. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
On 7/13/2022 at 11:40 AM, LexieJ said:

Didn’t someone post about this same topic? If OP wants to be the Guinea pig for this process then that will be very interesting and make sure report back to us what the outcome will be!

At least one lawyer agrees with OP and disagrees with the consensus of this thread:

Moreover it has worked in the past with proxy marriages: 

Proxy marriages vs online marriages: differences without distinction to DoS and USCIS. 

OP was telling me in a different  thread that I was wrong about I-751 backlogs affecting OP’s case and now I understand why.  😂

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.