AppalachianBiker

Reverse Course ?

53 posts in this topic

I met my fiance' on line 25 months ago. The months ago I finally got to fly too the Philippines and spent 28 wonderful days together and I put diamonds on her hand and we went about our daily lives there, taking photos together everywhere we went. I have receipts for everything including meals with her family etc. Groceries for us. Transportation receipts. All of this with the intent of satisfying the U.S. requirements to file for a K1 Visa

I returned to the states and consulted with an immigration attorney where I live. He said it would take another 18-24 months from the day I file plus his fee's and the government fee's.

If we were younger then that would be a possibility however I am 65+ and she is 61+ and really the bureaucracy and lazy attitude of the USCIS is ridiculous. 

The attorneys advice and others is to apply for a SSRV Visa for myself, move to the Philippines and marry her there and take our time and apply for a spouse visa.

Any input graciously accepted.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Having residency in your wife's country makes the waiting for a CR1/IR1 process to complete easier.   The having to leave after 90 days (tourist visas) from my fiancee was rough on both of us.   Just make sure keep up with federal and state taxes and other bills in the USA.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

At 65 its may be likely he doesn't file US tax returns 

so,  OP,  be prepared to show SSA benefits from your yearly statement from SS and any letter(s) u get from previous employer showing retirement benefits

Maintain a US address (state DL,  US bank account,  home ,  Etc)

U do not need an attorney to do your petition and it doesn't help to have one

if they do file for u,  check the paperwork as u are responsible for any errors on the petition and all other documents 

and lawyer(s) have messed up many a VJ member

Edited by JeanneAdil

Thank you both. Yes I would maintain and address and banking base in the US and pay taxes if due. I have an accountant that will work with me via email. I guess that I'll pay for.SSRV.(?) visa for an American retiree that would allow.me.to.come.and.gomas needed and I have the funds to open the Philippine bank account as required. Just not quite sure how to proceed yet. As stated, we're both in our sixties and very sure this is what we want. My mother just passed a month ago and I wait to get her buried with my father in Arlington National cemetery. After that I have no relatives left and I am accepted by my new Philippine family so I will be free to move to the Davao City area. 

You can also do an online wedding through Utah to speed things up. You could still do an unofficial (since you will already be legally married) wedding and reception there afterwards with her family if she wants that. This way you will be married when you land. I am not sure of all of the details but there are many posts from others here who have gone through the process. I believe after the online wedding, you file for a ROM (report of marriage) to the consulate of the Philippines in San Francisco (they have jurisdiction over Utah). You may also be able to do the ROM once you get to the Philippines but I am not positive about that.  I think once you are married and have ROM you should also be able to get a BB visa that is good for 1 year. When you arrive you will only get a visa for 30 days. I would not suggest a SRRV unless you are planning to retire/stay in the Philippines.

One more thing. If you do get married there you will need the PSA marriage certificate to file for spousal visa. If online you will need a PSA ROM. Always ask at any step of the process if it can be expedited. the faster you get that the better.

17 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

One more thing. If you do get married there you will need the PSA marriage certificate to file for spousal visa. If online you will need a PSA ROM. Always ask at any step of the process if it can be expedited. the faster you get that the better.

PSA is ???

9 minutes ago, AppalachianBiker said:

PSA is ???

Philippine Statistics Authority. This is where all official records are kept. Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, etc. Currently PSA documents are the only ones considered official.

Edited by RO_AH

On 7/10/2022 at 12:34 PM, AppalachianBiker said:

I met my fiance' on line 25 months ago. The months ago I finally got to fly too the Philippines and spent 28 wonderful days together and I put diamonds on her hand and we went about our daily lives there, taking photos together everywhere we went. I have receipts for everything including meals with her family etc. Groceries for us. Transportation receipts. All of this with the intent of satisfying the U.S. requirements to file for a K1 Visa

I returned to the states and consulted with an immigration attorney where I live. He said it would take another 18-24 months from the day I file plus his fee's and the government fee's.

If we were younger then that would be a possibility however I am 65+ and she is 61+ and really the bureaucracy and lazy attitude of the USCIS is ridiculous. 

The attorneys advice and others is to apply for a SSRV Visa for myself, move to the Philippines and marry her there and take our time and apply for a spouse visa.

Any input graciously accepted.

My wife had been here for over three years. I am retiring in 2 months and we are planning on moving there and I will use the SRRV. If you feel comfortable living there I say go for it. Two years is a long time to wait when you are in the fourth quarter of the game of life)))

Finally done...

On 7/10/2022 at 12:06 PM, AppalachianBiker said:

I guess that I'll pay for.SSRV.(?) visa for an American retiree that would allow.me.to.come.and.gomas needed and I have the funds to open the Philippine bank account as required.

If your intent is just to remain in the Philippines to wait out the CR1 process and then to return to live in the US, a SRRV visa may be an unnecessary expense and complication.   SRRV Visas are really intended for someone who plans to permanently retire in the Philippines and they have some not insignificant costs and obligations.   You can just show up there as a tourist and drop by Philippine Immigration office an pay for extensions again and again, up to 3 years in the Philippines, at which point a simple trip out of the country and back would reset the cycle.  Plus coming and going as you please further simplifies it because you get an new stamp any time you arrive.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

1 hour ago, top_secret said:

If your intent is just to remain in the Philippines to wait out the CR1 process and then to return to live in the US, a SRRV visa may be an unnecessary expense and complication.   SRRV Visas are really intended for someone who plans to permanently retire in the Philippines and they have some not insignificant costs and obligations.   You can just show up there as a tourist and drop by Philippine Immigration office an pay for extensions again and again, up to 3 years in the Philippines, at which point a simple trip out of the country and back would reset the cycle.  Plus coming and going as you please further simplifies it because you get an new stamp any time you arrive.

Well, it was the plan however I like the 3 year rotation idea and just duck out to Guam and come back. I could play that game for a while. Any ideas of what the current fee is to extend your Visa at the BOI ? Then I'll be asking questions about international banking because I'll want to direct deposit my pension and SSI in an American institution a transfer funds to a bank in country to facilitate my/our ability to live comfortably on, without interruptions. We don't do fancy. Simple people that grocery shop and cook at home. Date nights on occasion. 

Excellent suggestion. Much thanks. 

Edited by AppalachianBiker

Also, you folks know more about this than I do so pardon my questions. When I came the first time, they required proof of a round trip ticket. How do you do that knowing you're going to apply for extensions of your Visa ? Obviously I wouldn't want to do the 44 hour flight back to the US just to satisfy the leaving and coming back requirements. 

I'm very thankful for any assistance y'all give me. I live in rural Tennessee without internet so this phone is how I accomplished my first trip. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.